mxk

Squirrel WS - Harness abrasion from the zippers?

I have just under 30 jumps on my Squirrel Funk after flying a rental P3. While I like the suit, I'm a bit worried about how the front zippers are rubbing against the webbing and the handles. I can already see some light fraying around the edges of the MLW and so I'm wondering if anyone here can share some advice on protecting the harness from zipper abrasion. Has this been an issue for anyone in the long term? Do you tie the bungees in front or behind the webbing? Has anyone tried sewing some fabric over each side of the zipper to create a smoother channel for the harness to pass through?

wasatchrider

from my perspective that is a skydive suit I would not base jump with it but in my aura I have no problems getting to my toggles I have never unzipped in it.

Kids these days:P

I can't reach the toggles in my C2.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

photognat

My Funk (made for my dimensions and measured by a dealer) doesn't let me grab the toggles without unzipping, even with pulling my feet all the way up to my butt. I can just barely reach the risers but not quite enough to yank one down if I needed to.

Probably becasue you shoudn't be trying to put your feet up your ass, but your knees up. Try to feel where the tension comes when you try to lift your arm and lift this part of your body/suit.

EDIT: and before you do that, punch with your arms forward.

johnmatrix

That's funny.
No dicking around, cut straight to it.

i've never been the dude dicking around a whole lot... it is really difficult to do with such a large dick, i shit you not!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

virgin-burner

***That's funny.

i've never been the dude dicking around a whole lot... it is really difficult to do with such a large dick, i shit you not!

oh yea, before i forget, of course the size of my penis is directly related to my brand of choice. if you have a small dick, you're a better fit with a squirrel-suit, as every serious bodyflyer knows.

however, some people have reported that once they put on phoenix-fly-suits, their genitals started growing. even former squirrel-owners have reported the very same thing. just ask thousands of satisfied Phoenix-Fly customers!
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

virgin-burner

oh yea, before i forget, of course the size of my penis is directly related to my brand of choice. if you have a small dick, you're a better fit with a squirrel-suit, as every serious bodyflyer knows.

however, some people have reported that once they put on phoenix-fly-suits, their genitals started growing. even former squirrel-owners have reported the very same thing. just ask thousands of satisfied Phoenix-Fly customers!

You really think you're funny, don't you...

Those tiring brand wars are already annoying on a normal level.. you are taking this even one step further. Congratulations

Fall0ut

Those tiring brand wars are already annoying on a normal level.. you are taking this even one step further. Congratulations

oh, i am, unlike others. my post is clearly satire, while others put out numbers they pulled out of their asses and state them as facts. if you cant see the difference, may god help to save your soul.

however, yes, escalating things is one of the few things i'm really good at. i'm generally a fun-loving dude that doesnt see things as strict as others. oh, and i really like jumping the gear i own. the choice of it is mine. if you're happy with your gear, great, lets have some fun jumps together. nothing else really matters.

:)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

virgin-burner

oh, i am, unlike others. my post is clearly satire, while others put out numbers they pulled out of their asses and state them as facts. if you cant see the difference, may god help to save your soul.

however, yes, escalating things is one of the few things i'm really good at. i'm generally a fun-loving dude that doesnt see things as strict as others. oh, and i really like jumping the gear i own. the choice of it is mine. if you're happy with your gear, great, lets have some fun jumps together. nothing else really matters.

:)
your right I like my gear Ill jump with anyone I don't care what anyone jumps.
but here are factual numbers
base trip to moab 11 of 11 squirrel suits
Colorado base trip 4 of 4 squirrel suits
az base trip 6 of 6 squirrel
other ut location 7 of 7 squirrel
I just loosely base off of what I see 80% is pretty generous
BASE 1519

base trip to moab 11 of 11 squirrel suits
Colorado base trip 4 of 4 squirrel suits
az base trip 6 of 6 squirrel
other ut location 7 of 7 squirrel

And uh, where are Squirrel based again?:P

Anyway, popularity of anything is never a direct indicator of quality. Squirrel make very nice suits now - but their current success is down to a heck of a lot more factors than suit design. Case in point the Colugo1 sold a lot of units but I think most people that flew one would now agree that it had some pretty major flaws.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

mxk

Please start a different thread if you'd like to discuss brands or techniques for reaching toggles. I'd like to get some answers to the questions in my original post.

I have been flying my Squirrel suits (Swift, Funk and Aura) for 2 seasons and about 200 skydives. I haven't seen any abrasion from zippers (all flights were with the same container)

virgin-burner

******That's funny.

Just wait until you see what happens when you put on a Tony Suit...

mxk

I have just under 30 jumps on my Squirrel Funk after flying a rental P3. While I like the suit, I'm a bit worried about how the front zippers are rubbing against the webbing and the handles. I can already see some light fraying around the edges of the MLW and so I'm wondering if anyone here can share some advice on protecting the harness from zipper abrasion. Has this been an issue for anyone in the long term? Do you tie the bungees in front or behind the webbing? Has anyone tried sewing some fabric over each side of the zipper to create a smoother channel for the harness to pass through?

sorry, no feedback yet since i only just started flying squirrely
but
i am amazed that you only got one rational reply amongst the other bullshit.

If I were you, I'd contact either squirrel directly,or speak with a trusted local gear guru.

Craig

haters gonna hate

players gonna play

I'll jump with anyone who wants to shread and not be a douche on the internet...

As for the original post...tape around the zipper teeth might work near the top of the opening. I've personally never seen this problem, but some sized people have problems with this juncture due to how their harness fits...happens a lot on Havok's too. Be very dilligent every jump about checking...as everyone should be.

happens a lot on Havok's too.

Though load of a harness during deployment may push on a zippers attachment, there is no sharp edge or teeth touching the webbing with that particular rigging design. Its not capable of causing any wear or tear on the harness as all points in contact with MLW and smooth and free of sharp edges.

Handle access and the (deliberately weaker) zipper attachment itself are the only factors to watch with that system, but there is no risk of harness damage/abrasion.
On the dual/sliding zipper setup, harnes wear and tear can be bigger a factor.

That aside, having a rigger sew a patch of neoprene is probably a better solution to prevent wear and tear of dual/sliding zipper rigging. Using ductape on/next to your MLW is not advisable due to the glue causing possible damage/deterioration of strength (hot weather especially can make ductape 'slip' and spill glue..)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?