kilranian

Building muscle to protect joints

Good evening, DZ S&T folks,

I'm a recent convert to the sport, and I'm looking for advice on building muscle to protect my joints. A little backstory: I'm a 5'7" 145 lb computer technician with almost no fitness knowledge. I'm looking to build up some muscle mass, mostly focusing on strengthening my legs, knees, ankles, and other important landing apparatuses.

I figured there might be some folks out here with suggestions on where to start.

Any suggestions?

write down everything you eat - then check it against what is suggested for your level of activity, weight, hieght, age - fix it if you need to (not making any assumptions - you sound a healthy weight for your hieght but there is no point exercising if you are not eating right). Then go running or cycling :P plenty of strength exercises you can do at home with no (or next to no) equiptment and you can spend the gym money on jumping - squats, berpies, jumping jacks, lunge walks, stair climbs (use a backpack full of bricks or bottles of water if you need to resistance), push ups (many variations), chin ups, core ... it goes on and one...

try this:

http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/

it's by LiveStrong/Lance Armstrong. You basically enter what you eat in it and it gives you a breakdown of your macronutrients (carbs, protein, fats) total calories and even lets you enter exercise.

takes the guesswork out of eating. If you want to gain muscle start from a base caloric intake of say:

2200 calories
+ 500 day for 2 weeks

see if you gain 2 lbs.

Keep your carbs/protein/fats:

40%
35%
25%

Use a little whey protein - convert to all whole grains and cut out the red meat just eat chicken.

For lifting do big compound movements like the deadlift, dips, pushups, chinups. For cardio cycle if you want to be easy on your knees.

Above all don't downsize too quick because all the fitness in the world won't heal your leg after you snap it. :-)

Jeff

Best thing is to go to the gym. I've been doing this for about 10+ years now and it really helps.

Eventually the basics are:
- Squatting
- Dead lifts
- Shoulder/Military press
- Bench press
- Pull ups with your palms facing outward
- Loads of lower back and abdominal exercises

Look these up. These are the real basics for an overall strong body.
Blue skies!

Just one more thing. Start real slow for the first 2 months. Do a lot of reps (3 * 15-20) per exercise.

After about 2 months you can add more weights although it might seem that you can do this earlier. Starting to do this earlier will probably lead to injuries.
Blue skies!

All this advice of just eat this this this and this and do this this this exercise is going to be a waste of time.

Start with a goal. Do you want to be strong? Do you want just mass? Lose weight?

Start a beginners program like starting strength. Then you will be ready to start more specific program like 5/3/1 when you are ready to lift.

It will take a lot of time to find the right diet. It will probably be a big change in life. Make sure you are in a living situation where you will be able to cook healthy food and always hit your numbers. You will be far better off spending your first two weeks online researching nutrition and exercises. Then hit the gym and get some barbell training. If you spend a week with a trainer and can learn a proper squat and deadlift you will be off to a better start than half the people at the gym.

Now, I should ask.. do you have a joint problem? Because going to the gym is going to be harder on your joints than skydiving =) You should see a sports doctor first if so..

you could take up Judo. It will increase your fitness and flexibility, build muscle mass, teach you how to fall from every conceivable angle, get you used to taking a knock, teach you self-defence and it's good fun.

Although possibly the best way for a skydiver to protect his landing gear is by taking a canopy control course or three.

P90X is pretty decent too - it mixes up a ton of different types of exercises to keep it fresh - lifting, stretching, yoga, high and low impact cardio. Though I found I needed to add lower back to the back lifting workouts to round it out.

Skydiving needs a focus on total body fitness - but if you can only focus on anything, I'd say core (abs, obs and lower back) and shoulders.

that said - there's plenty of slobs that skydive just fine - but the fitter one is, the better they perform at anything

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yoga. It strengthens muscles used for stability, increases flexibility, and teaches you how to stay relaxed when your body is being stressed. It will also increase awareness of body position.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good evening, DZ S&T folks,

5'7" 145 lb computer technician with almost no fitness knowledge.

Any suggestions?

Just get active mate. Start slow. Work your way up to weight training. Everyone has an opinion on what to do. Most of them will be wrong for you, including mine. But, here's mine:

Start jogging at least every second day for at least 5km. If you can't do that then see a doctor because you may have heart/lung disease.

Rock climbing (indoor) is awesome for a full body workout, and if you get into the outdoor trad stuff, it will make your heart race more than skydiving ever will :o.

Enjoy being fit and active. It is a mindset that needs to be developed. It's a lifestyle choice. There is no formula that anyone can give you that will work without that mindset.

Anyway, I've seen plenty of fat unfit bastards that are better skydivers than I'll ever be...so, if it's your skydiving skills you are worried about then you are over thinking it I reckon.

Most skydiving injuries are to lower legs: knees, tibia, fibula, ankles, etc.

The best way to prevent leg injuries is to toughen up your legs and the best way to toughen up your legs is to do weight-bearing cardio-vascular exercises: walking, running, cross-country skiing.

Most skydiving injuries are to lower legs: knees, tibia, fibula, ankles, etc.

The best way to prevent leg injuries is to toughen up your legs and the best way to toughen up your legs is to do weight-bearing cardio-vascular exercises: walking, running, cross-country skiing.

Build up those muscles enough and you don't even need to flare...:D

Just my.02
Jogging/ running will force your body Bone density to be increased, for some the pounding your lower body will take is too much. Just remember it will take 4-6 weeks for your body to adjust/strengthen YOU WILL BE SORE.bones ,joints tendons from your lowerback to the tipps of your toes will be stronger as well as your cardio.
After which you can determine if this is problematic.
I'm 45, and feel like I have 20yr. old tree stumps!!

so here's a TON of good choices in this thread

in the end - someone has to pick whatever motivates them and keeps them engaged over the long haul

find it

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If you do go with strength training with an emphasis on joint protection, be sure to use primarily free weights rather than machines.

With free weights, you have to provide the joint stability during the excercise that a machine would normally handle. This leads to development of the supporting muscles you want to target.

On the flip side, you want to be sure to get some professional training at the start to make sure your technique is correct and you'll want a spotter for the heavier lifts.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."