cs_troyk

Red Bull Aces 2015?

So yes, the takeaway should be many of the top wingsuit pilots in the world choose squirrel. Take all those famous pilots you follow on the face books and Instagram. How many flew something else in the past and switched to squirrel vs the opposite? Also interesting is that you see all sorts of different models of suits used in base races vs performance paralog comps vs something like this. For squirrel, all the c race. Damn fun and impressive suit, and one of the easiest I've flown in a long time.

Honestly, the piece of gear that was the most impressive during this event was the epicene. Many non squirrel suit pilots jumping it too, and I will never wingsuit anything else.

wasatchrider

******Squirrel 1-4 ;)

And how many non Squirrel wingsuit pilots were at the event ;-)

11 of 40 were not squirrel

At least two of the last eight weren't squirrel. So I'm not sure what this says about brand wars except that Squirrel makes a highly competitive race suit that does well in the hands of the top pilots in the world. I don't see any evidence of brand X > brand Y. There is strong evidence that Andy Farrington is a beast though...

wasatchrider

have you tried a sabre 1?

Every wingsuit jump I did for 10 years. On the mega suits, a 120 would get caught in my burble even with a custom bridle and pilot chute and make opening the scariest part of the jump. I had 3 cutaways in about 16 months. The episcene I can fit a 150 in my 120 bag and the best description of the openings I can think of is they're more similar to a really comfortable base opening. Quick without being too positive. It's 100% a very niche piece of gear, but if you skydive big wingsuits a lot, it's amazing. Made me confident and happy to skydive again.

lyosha

How many flew something else in the past and switched to squirrel vs the opposite?

...but that could also be because of greater $$$ incentive from mfg... sponsor gear is always the best in the world...

Haha yes big corporate wingsuit giants paying money for pilots to fly their suit. Thats definitely it. I'm sure Noah and Julian couldn't get free suits from anyone else...

Your other comment is 100% correct though. Andy is a freaking beast, as well as Noah, and honestly all the guys that made it to aces in general regardless of suit type. Matt g got lucky and plammer only did well due to his lack of fully functional male genitalia.

I get that but there is a bit difference between a 120 and a 150. If you have the money and trying to fit a bigger canopy into your container it makes sense. A Sabre 1 135 with a container and a reserve is way cheaper for me than a new canopy. I have been happy with all the openings and never had a cut away.
BASE 1519

The reality for 99% of wingsuit consumers (myself included) is that it really doesn't matter anymore. The suits are all good enough that you can't go wrong (at least with the big 3...and more legit competitors seem to be entering the arena).

The difference in times in the WWL were like 1 second or less, regardless of suit. Unless you're racing...professionally...then the differences to the consumer in performance between a C2, C-Race, Scorpion, Scorpion 2, Arrow, V-Race, V-Sughoi, V-Mig, or V-C-Race-Scorpion are negligible.

Want to skydive with friends? Then it totally doesn't matter.
Want to do some WS BASE? Then it totally doesn't matter.
Want to do some light proximity? Then it totally doesn't matter.
Want to do some hardcore terrain flying? Then it might matter A LITTLE TEENY TINY BIT.

Literally the only time it matters is when you want to be competitive at the very highest level. Otherwise you're no different than the guy who buys the sickest and newest race bike every year just to go putt around the track.

For us lowly 99%ers, the suit will never be the limiting factor. It will always be the pilot. So buy a suit, fly it for a few years, and replace it when it's ragged out. You'll be a much better pilot when your new suit arrives.
Apex BASE

Bluhdow

The reality for 99% of wingsuit consumers (myself included) is that it really doesn't matter anymore. The suits are all good enough that you can't go wrong (at least with the big 3...and more legit competitors seem to be entering the arena).

The difference in times in the WWL were like 1 second or less, regardless of suit. Unless you're racing...professionally...then the differences to the consumer in performance between a C2, C-Race, Scorpion, Scorpion 2, Arrow, V-Race, V-Sughoi, V-Mig, or V-C-Race-Scorpion are negligible.

Want to do some hardcore terrain flying? Then it might matter A LITTLE TEENY TINY BIT.

Literally the only time it matters is when you want to be competitive at the very highest level. Otherwise you're no different than the guy who buys the sickest and newest race bike every year just to go putt around the track.

For us lowly 99%ers, the suit will never be the limiting factor. It will always be the pilot. So buy a suit, fly it for a few years, and replace it when it's ragged out. You'll be a much better pilot when your new suit arrives.

+1
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Bluhdow

I couldn't agree more.
Of course there are other aspects than performance when choosing the suit, i.e. the way suits fly or customer/sponsoree support which can have huge impact on decision