stayhigh

Is this news joke or what? What happened to the record that was set at Elsinore the 70 something way?

PERRIS: Skydivers shooting for record-setting wingsuit formation
Wingsuit-wearing skydivers looking to set new world record this week. he existing record was set in June by a group of 42 flyers.
Published: Oct. 12, 2015 Updated: 5:17 p.m.

What happened to the record that was set at Elsinore like 7 years ago, the one formation lead by Jeff N, the one that Scotty Burns smoked joints right next to packing area at Elsinore after setting the record, and the one that guy from boston area went in after hitting the tail?

All those efforts were for nothing?

Super weird and creepy story about that Boston guy going in....

I was packing for him all day, and he comes up at last minute saying, "Hey, I gotta make this sunset load, can you make it?"

so I said, "sure", next thing I know the Otter comes back with huge dent in the tail.....

Now, couple years later, I'm throwing drogue at Perris, and I point out the Ortega Mountain to my passenger and she goes, "I'll tell you some story once we hit the ground."

then I said, "no, we are not going to hit the ground, we are going to have a soft landing..."

and she goes to tell me that she owns the property that the guy from Boston went in, and how he landed right in her driveway.....

and that was the reason why she came to Perris to jump instead of Elsinore although Elsinore was much closer, because Elsinore reminded of the wingsuit guy, and she comes to find out that I packed for the dude.

What a small world right??

I don't know,,, I have strong sentimental value for that "real" record, 70 something way, so many people from all over the globe,, crazy russians with Katana in their wingsuit rig,,,,,,,, Jeff, JT, the boston guy.......

What if I said "No, I can't pack yours in less than 5 min, you've done enough jumps, now pay me."

I was being greedy and was looking for extra 2 pack jobs. I knew that he will tip me a fatty, since he was a fat tipper already,,,,,,,,, record was set, he was super stoked, and I was happy to make another 10 dollars.

I wish I would've told him that he needs to pack his own shit, since I'm way too busy...

Elsinore was the "Real" record, unprecedented huge flying formation. Grid or no grid, that was the real deal.

I feel sorry for all those new wingsuiter that continues to claim the world record.

Sorry guys, hate to burst the bubble, but the record was set at Elsinore.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Indeed.. He seemed like a good person. Treated packers like human being not a slave working for him.

Another story, this one is funny one.

As they set the record and the sunsets, Burns and group of his friends gathered around next to packing area and started smoking weed, and the child molester comes over and scorns the group for smoking pot.

Then, Burns makes a football huddle, and takes the group just about 10-15 yards to the parking lot, and he yells to the child molester, "Are we good now?"

:D:D:D

Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I enjoy the pity.

I may never fly on a 100+ formation but 75+ has already been an interesting experience. I even think we could come up with a few "crazies" from the bunch if we looked hard enough.

I agree, breaking the current FAI 42 way record with 49, 64, 81, etc will not be like breaking the 2012 100 way diamond.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

stayhigh

Indeed.. He seemed like a good person. Treated packers like human being not a slave working for him.

Another story, this one is funny one.

As they set the record and the sunsets, Burns and group of his friends gathered around next to packing area and started smoking weed, and the child molester comes over and scorns the group for smoking pot.

Then, Burns makes a football huddle, and takes the group just about 10-15 yards to the parking lot, and he yells to the child molester, "Are we good now?"

:D:D:D

Hey, Melsinore was there too! I'm not even sure if she ever put on a wingsuit again. The golden days of Elsinore were awesome. you'll always be greedy! :)
IHYD

The essential difference is the difference between a flock and a formation that conforms to an internationally recognized standard.

You may not like the standard, but it is the yardstick being used by the FAI, the NAA and the USPA right now.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yep that was Steve. I was on that load and left right before his group. Very sad.

And we had just set the USPA National Record largest wingsuit formation. 68 in that formation. I have the certificate saying I was part of that national record jump.

They "gracefully" retired the record when the criteria changed. But it happened, it was the record, we had 68 in the formation. I'm proud to have been part of that.

Congrats to those on the new record but it is not the largest ever (as some news reports say) it's the largest since they changed the criteria. Not the largest ever.
... Marion

fmmobley

Yep that was Steve. I was on that load and left right before his group. Very sad.

And we had just set the USPA National Record largest wingsuit formation. 68 in that formation. I have the certificate saying I was part of that national record jump.

They "gracefully" retired the record when the criteria changed. But it happened, it was the record, we had 68 in the formation. I'm proud to have been part of that.

Congrats to those on the new record but it is not the largest ever (as some news reports say) it's the largest since they changed the criteria. Not the largest ever.

USPA is willing to re-certify old jumps if they can be shown to satisfy the new (FAI) criteria. The 25-way done in Chicago (July 2009) was recertified that way, since it clearly does fit the FAI grid. I don't believe the 68-way fits the new grid (but I didn't spend much time trying). The 2012 100-way doesn't fit either the new or old grid.

elias123

Then I guess that all depends on what one sees as a record ;)

Being part of the most of the records which has set in the past, i just don't give a *uck about records.
I Love skyflying, big ways are cool but most boring way to fly wing suit.
It's more about people around doing together the things which has never done before.
From the An-72 boogie in Germany 2007 till 2015 it has been awesome to see the quality of bigway and skyflying getting to the next level.
It's Been a pleasure to have a chance to be a part of it.
Price has been pretty high of this kind of events, Steve,Irina also all who were lost after reaching these achievements, Eli, Jeff,iBrian,Jhonathan,Jonathan.
RIP

Records are made to being broken
I would love to see it happening again in the future broken by the quality not changing by the rules.

-True Pioneers does not ask permission

From the An-72 boogie in Germany 2007

What happened to 1999 up to 2007?

Granted, formations have been getting bigger, but a lot of the 'doing things that have never been done before' pioneering in wingsuit/base/design and especially formation flying was done in years prior to that. Stacked formations, flat bigways in V / wedge formation, acro etc.
When I got into wingsuit flying in 2003, all that stuff was already there and done before.
Formations have been getting bigger, and tighter. And we have official validation, but the stuff we're doing now was pioneered in the years before most of us (me included) entered the sport.

We have a very ritch history, and though a lot of those guys might not be flying anymore, its a shame a lot of that past is ignored/forgotten...sort of related to ever changing standards (vs a good one) constantly retiring records, and in doing so, also pushing accomplishments from the past out of a lot of peoples minds..

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The previous incarnation of the USPA web site listed retired US records, so the history wouldn't be forgotten. The records section of the new incarnation is still "under construction" (and has been for months) so I don't know if the retired records will still be listed.

Does FAI list retired records?

mccordia

FAI lists current records. For older ones you'll have to dig..
Few more weeks and the world record will be a 33 and 42 way...:)

Congrats to all that were on the 33 and 42. Then a few months after that it will be replaced with a 61 way... (I think the 2 successful 50 ways wont be turned in) ;)

Taking nothing away from the previous Jumps, these are just recognized by the FAI.... Keep pushing forward..

Scott
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

kallend

***Yep that was Steve. I was on that load and left right before his group. Very sad.

USPA is willing to re-certify old jumps if they can be shown to satisfy the new (FAI) criteria. The 25-way done in Chicago (July 2009) was recertified that way, since it clearly does fit the FAI grid. I don't believe the 68-way fits the new grid (but I didn't spend much time trying). The 2012 100-way doesn't fit either the new or old grid.

I had another look at the 68-way we did in 2012. As best I can tell there are 15 people with a hand or foot across the FAI grid line. The criteria allow 8 for a formation of this size.