keithbar

You tube big wingsuit surprise

Please someone link that video. I have watched it a few times. And still am trying to figure this one out. WTF
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFJK5yPoJH4

what a badass :o I'm not even kidding

"so I went headdown in my wingsuit because my suit swallowed my reserve ripcoard and I had to reach sufficient speed for my AAD to fire"

an RSL might have been a less exciting solution :P

A headsup jumper, fully aware and calm, nice video

anybody in the know of the suit model?
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

Pobrause

A headsup jumper

How is this for headsup: don't jump a suit design that can swallow your reserve handle. I can't for the life of me understand why so many people take this risk and buy these kinds of suits.

Also, why not just unzip the suit to get access to the handle again? Preferably while still under canopy. Don't cutaway until you have access to both handles... first jump basics.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The111

***A headsup jumper

How is this for headsup

let me rephrase that into situational awareness... yes, he fucked up bevorehand when donning his suit improperly, yes, he might have been able to solve this malfunction without needing to rely on his AAD, yes, he should have had a RSL... But when he realised he fucked up bigtime he didn't freak out like so many others but was thinking ahead and chose a solution, albeit unconventional, that saved his life.

Again, I'd be happy to go to war with him anytime.
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

The111

***A headsup jumper

How is this for headsup: don't jump a suit design that can swallow your reserve handle. I can't for the life of me understand why so many people take this risk and buy these kinds of suits.

Also, why not just unzip the suit to get access to the handle again? Preferably while still under canopy. Don't cutaway until you have access to both handles... first jump basics.

Says the suit jammed his reserve handle in place with some sort of cord that connects zippers. No clue what all of that means.

Which wingsuits are the ones that swallow handles?

DiverMike

all of them ;)

I think you're sort of trolling a bit, but I'm going to respond anyway.

Yes and no.

If you have a dual zipper system, you run a clear risk of having it shift around. Some people have attempted to fix this by messing with the zippers or putting locks or bungees or whatever on them, or making sure they do a Picard maneuver (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2o77i74T48) before they exit the aircraft, but the zippers can shift despite all that, particularly as the harness shifts during and following deployment. I'll add that some zippers can make this more or less likely to shift - I don't recall which the "good zippers" are versus the "bad zippers".

The problem with the dual zipper system gets particularly troublesome with some builds on some rigs. For example, if you're long waisted (i.e., you have a proportionately longer waist than legs), it appears that the dual zipper system can get particularly messy, depending on the wingsuit's proportions.

The dual zipper system was intended to permit BASE jumpers (who don't have handles in the front, of course) to use their wingsuits for skydiving as well as BASE, but in my opinion they create a risk with no reward for those of us who only skydive.

The designs that don't allow that to happen include the ones that have the suit threaded into the rig with cables. Incidentally, these also can be used for BASE.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

lyosha

So what should I ask TonySuits/Squirrel/Phoenix Fly to do to make sure I am on the lower end of the probability of getting my handles swallowed?

Cable system or an over the shoulder zipper, instead of a dual zipper system, to be absolutely sure (well, as sure as you can be in skydiving). Yes, I am aware that some manufacturers don't offer that.

The PF suits with over the shoulder zippers should be safe, same with the TS designs that are similar (I have never rigged up one of these though)

Personally I don't see a big advantage to the smaller suits on the market being designed to flown in a BASE mode for reduced drag. I'm a noob though so what do I know

It's just something you have to check before you jump, on every jump.

I'm sure there was a fatality a while back that resulted in a service bulletin of sorts coming out regarding some wingsuits and the way they fit with certain rigs on larger people, I'll see if I can find it.

Basically the point is, if you're a rounder person (perhaps with an articulated harness) some suits may end up with a larger hole in that area for handles to slip into - as the suit is being pulled out around the gut area while the harness goes staight down around the gut to the hips.

The key thing to bear in mind, particularly with second hand suits, is not just how the suit fits but how it fits on different people with different rigs.

johnmatrix

This is true, but your post seems to discount suit design. There were suits designed more than 15 years ago where it was literally impossible for the handle to get swallowed. Some of today's "new and improved" suit designs cannot claim this. But hey, they guarantee you won't have your performance harmed by the massive drag your chest strap causes!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

DiverMike

all of them ;)

If rigged incorrectly then any suit can eat your handles. I have done that more than a few times when rigging for a short call. I always found it on my gear check after gearing up but it is easy to do and highlights why multiple checks are important. Assume you rigged incorrectly and check.

It is also worth checking under canopy to see how often your handles might be moving or getting trapped without you realizing it until you need them.

Personally I much prefer the cable design over the zippers for these kind of suits.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

The111

***It's just something you have to check before you jump, on every jump.

This is true, but your post seems to discount suit design. There were suits designed more than 15 years ago where it was literally impossible for the handle to get swallowed. Some of today's "new and improved" suit designs cannot claim this. But hey, they guarantee you won't have your performance harmed by the massive drag your chest strap causes!

I'm no expert - and definitely not on suits from 15 years ago. ;-)

But yes I wasn't even thinking of that particular style of suit where the chest strap is covered up, they've certainly have their own set of issues.

johnmatrix

True, but this discounts the fact that things can shift from the moment you stand up. Maybe it should read "check the moment before you exit". If you're jumping one of these suits, add a Picard maneuver and check the handles... Even if you're busy trying to get ready to exit, like with you do with a large group. (Wow, one more needless thing to have to worry about because of the design...).

But even that might not be enough, as these things can shift on deployment, too.

johnmatrix

Basically the point is, if you're a rounder person (perhaps with an articulated harness) some suits may end up with a larger hole in that area for handles to slip into - as the suit is being pulled out around the gut area while the harness goes staight down around the gut to the hips.

I'm not an underwear model (I know, you guys are all shocked to learn that), but I'm pretty far from round. At 5'11" (180cm), 185 lbs (84kg), I had this problem with the dual zipper design on a couple of different suits (including ones made by different manufacturers). While round people might have the problem, it's not exclusive to bowling balls - long torsos can create the problem as well.

This is the incident and document I was referring to.
Not saying it was the case here - just something to remember.

http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_C1/Incidents_F14/Fatality_-_Norway,_Geiteryggen_-_low_cutaway_-_2013-03-29_P4468418/

http://intrudair.com/download/official_bulletin_wingsuit_usage_recommendation_01.pdf

Yeah, the innie-outie system is gonna have to go (all of them), hopefully before someone pounds in with video where it is apparent what happened. The PF over the shoulder zips for the P3/Ghost/Havok pretty much made handle swallowing impossible (assuming the suit was a remotely close fit) I'm not playing favorites, the PF leg and body zips are utterly retarded. I get that the proxy flyers (the ones who actually have any business doing it, which is a tiny fraction of the ones who are) say the suits fly better over the harness. Fair enough, but that means every suit with an innie outie system has a significant compromise to benefit less than 1% of all wingsuit flyers. Seems kinda silly. Maybe make a "all purpose" version, without the innie-outie, then make a "Super Elite Dick Hardening BASE" version and charge a extra $100. Or charge $100 more for the all purpose one, you'll sell more of those anyway, and I'd pay $100 to have a better system for skydiving on my C2. Fortunately I haven't had the handle swallowing issue, I think correct rigging and playing around with it helps, but it is still an issue for others, and I'm not particularly fond of having the zippers ride up and stop when they meet the bottom of my handles, even if they haven't gotten sucked in... yet. :$