HIGH1

Paralog Performance Competition

You can sort wingsuits per suit. But seeing as every event has different wind conditions, its hard to impossible to draw any proper comparison between events. Even looking at the same pilots, in the same suit, at different events, the top speeds and glide vary over 100 km/h /1.5 in glide.

Look at the competitions like swooping. Gear is a huge factor, but in the end its the individual pilots who make the actual scores happen (together with a healthy dose of wind, but every person in the same competition/event has those conditions).
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

HIGH1

What are the Wingsuit categories per manfacture for the Paralog Performance Competitions?

As you look at them, it's relevant to know that not all competitions will recognize all three categories for suits. For FAI world events, there is ONLY an open class, for US Nationals, only advanced and open, and for the US Performance Cup, same as US Nationals.

HIGH1

At which events does Rookie, Intermediate, Advance and Open, apply? And, which governing bodies or countries distinguish the wingsuit categories?

If it's a local comp, then the host/organizer (technically Meet Director) can decide. The system is set up to allow whatever the meet director wants to do. Perhaps it's only tracking and small wingsuits (there was recently a meet where all WS were of one size).

If it's a USPA Nationals event (there aren't regional events yet), then the Meet Director decides. Every association/organization out there can decide what they'd like to do. For example, if CSPA or APF wanted to host only intermediate suits, they could.

Complicated enough for you? :P

The short of it is, this is controlled at local, national (NAC), and FAI levels, and it really boils down to what each event group chooses to do.

I'd imagine this will flesh out with more of a fixed being at some future point in time, but with so many governing bodies and/or associations around the world, it'll take time for standards to form.

jeffspicoli

How do you know when you are entering the gate? Visual altimeter or audible?

Different people use different methods, but lately the new Flysight firmware supports altitude alarms which is a third option.

I will say that the Paralog setup procedure for the competition does a rename on the Flysight config file and creates a new one with very few parameters. So it is best to have your own Flysight for the alarms use because you may or may not be allowed to alter the competition Flysight for your alarm settings.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Hmmm I would have guessed the swift was also a small size suit
It is a bit larger than a Phantom for example but smaller than the other intermediate suits on the list

We had a mini competition 2 weeks ago with a single round for time, distance and speed. I enjoyed looking over my flysight data afterwards but would really need to do some jumps with headphones in the flysight to make the most of the learning experience

DHemer

We had a mini competition 2 weeks ago with a single round for time, distance and speed. I enjoyed looking over my flysight data afterwards but would really need to do some jumps with headphones in the flysight to make the most of the learning experience

Even for normal everyday flying, the feedback from the Flysight can help you learn a lot. You can "see" in real time what different body tweaks can do or not do for you.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

vidiot

PPC Suit Categories
General Guidelines (may be overriden based on performance)
•Small (Rookie): Armwing not below hips, legwing not below feet
•Medium (Intermediate): Armwing further than hips, not down to the feet, legwing not below feet
•Large (Advanced): Armwing below hip, legwing below feet

New Link Here: http://ppc.paralog.net/suits.php
Check your ego at the door. Stay humble.