PixieUK

Wingsuit rodeo - what do we need to know?

DSE

***Here's the latest rodeo from this past weekend. Launching from a C-182. Pic and video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLMcvsWYNW0

No offense intended, but that's not much of a rodeo with the rider only lying down and forward.

Point of note, you have a lanyard on your helmet. Please tell us that's not a safety lanyard for your camera?B|

While it does count as a rodeo, I'm not sure why she didn't sit up a little more this time around.

Also, yes, that is a lanyard for my camera and I expected someone to say something about it. The helmet is rounded and the mount is flat, about half of it actually contacts. It is adequate to hold the camera in the event it was knocked off by someone kicking me or bumping into me, but not enough to hold it on if it was entangled in a canopy and I had a cutaway. The string isn't super strong either, just enough to hold a loose camera. I considered all of that when I initially installed it, though I know opinions will vary.

but not enough to hold it on if it was entangled in a canopy and I had a cutaway. The string isn't super strong either, just enough to hold a loose camera.

It used to be thought that GoPro's were not snag hazards (until that theory was proven false).
It used to be thought that GoPro mounts would easily rip off (until that theory was proven false).
Then it was thought that the GoPro mount would easily break (until that theory was proven false)

Sony, Contour, Replay, and similar are all even more "tough" than a GoPro.

How did you test it for all the knowledge you've indicated above?

DSE

but not enough to hold it on if it was entangled in a canopy and I had a cutaway. The string isn't super strong either, just enough to hold a loose camera.

It used to be thought that GoPro's were not snag hazards (until that theory was proven false).
It used to be thought that GoPro mounts would easily rip off (until that theory was proven false).
Then it was thought that the GoPro mount would easily break (until that theory was proven false)

Sony, Contour, Replay, and similar are all even more "tough" than a GoPro.

How did you test it for all the knowledge you've indicated above?

As I said, the lanyard itself is just a thin little string, I think it is the tether that came from the surf board kit mount pack. If I had a spare one, I'd gladly use a spring scale and determine the exact amount of force it takes to break it, aside from that I can tell you it isn't super strong, only enough to do its job.

Also, the lanyard mount is much less surface area than the GoPro mount which is pretty stout, especially considering the lanyard mount is not contoured to fit a curved helmet, so only about half of it is actually adhered. Even if an entanglement occurred which had sufficient force to rip the GoPro mount off, the string would snap, and even if the string didn't snap, the lanyard mount would rip off because it is much weaker than the GoPro mount.

As I said, it is just enough to hold the camera if someone bumps it off, but not enough to likely cause any serious problems. Now, can we keep this thread on topic, please?

Lethal1ty17

As I said, the lanyard itself is just a thin little string, I think it is the tether that came from the surf board kit mount pack. If I had a spare one, I'd gladly use a spring scale and determine the exact amount of force it takes to break it, aside from that I can tell you it isn't super strong, only enough to do its job.

The nylon lanyard that came with the Contour camera failed to break at 70lbs (the max of the rigger's scale). I just tested the Sony lanyard with my archery scale; it doesn't break nor come unsealed at 55lbs (the max my scale goes).

Add that it's under load, you're truly willing to bet your life (and the shit everyone else has to deal with) on "I think so?"

It's your rodeo. But recognize there is a reason any experienced skydiver and/or cameraflyer will tell you that it is just plain fucking stupid to put a lanyard on a helmet camera.

Add that it's in the range of a reserve in the event of deployment (entirely in the realm of probability in case someone hits you and knocks the camera off), and it's considerably more foolish.

But...at least the guy that gets to clean up won't have trouble finding the camera. To stay on topic, I hope your rodeo rider gets clean footage of whatever happens.:P

Lethal1ty17

If I had a spare one, I'd gladly use a spring scale and determine the exact amount of force it takes to break it, aside from that I can tell you it isn't super strong, only enough to do its job.

Truthfully you don't know how strong it is unless you test it. Use your body weight; see if it can suspend you. If it does, that's bad. If it doesn't, that's still bad since whatever load it does break at may still be enough to break your neck too.

But worse, as Spot pointed out, what if it entangles with an opening reserve? I would guess that the amount of force required to foul a reserve opening is less than the break force of that loop. But even if my guess was the other way around, I wouldn't gamble my life on it.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I will try to source a spare one this weekend from someone and test it out to appease some people. Also, it is easy to "what-if" every situation to death. The burble behind me in an intermediate sized wingsuit is more likely to cause a problem with a reserve pilot chute and bridle than a lanyard would.

Lethal1ty17

test it out to appease some people.

We internet strangers are flattered, but this one suggests that your own safety is actually a higher priority than our appeasement.

Lethal1ty17

Also, it is easy to "what-if" every situation to death.

To death? Excessive what-if'ing can at worst only lead to inaction. Skydiving in an unsafe manner is what leads to death. I'd err on the side of too many what-if's, personally. Although admittedly I might miss out on one really cool jump today while I stop and think about how to do it smarter tomorrow.

Lethal1ty17

The burble behind me in an intermediate sized wingsuit is more likely to cause a problem with a reserve pilot chute and bridle than a lanyard would.

A parachute cannot entangle with a burble.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Best option I have found for getting rid of a rodeo passenger is to simply barrel roll them off. This is also the most entertaining option IMO for both the rider and the pilot.

Last thing I would want is my passengers canopy getting sucked back into our burble like some of the few freak occurrences we have all witnessed on video. Always unlikely, but always possible.
B.A.S.E. #1734

I was not able to source one this weekend, but I'll keep trying as I am curious myself. Also, I noticed this weekend someone who had one of the TurnedOn visual GoPro camera indicator LED thingys on their helmet with a wire running from the camera, into the helmet. Most would say this is a safety feature but that seems like an equal hazard as a lanyard does.

A rigger and I undertook the effort to (again) test the strength of the lanyard. The molded connector piece (where the ends of the lanyard terminate) broke free at 45lbs. We tied the lanyard in a double square knot, and it wouldn't break at 55lbs, the max of the scale.

Everyone believed nylon screws were the perfect answer, and then a wingsuiter had nylon screws that didn't break when his ringsight was snagged.

Point being...you've got several thousands of jumps suggesting what you're doing isn't in your best interest, aside from being unnecessary.

Trading out the value of a 250.00 camera over your life will seem really cheap when you're in a hospital or worse.

But as they say..."It's your rodeo, and you're a grown-ass man."

The111

***Most would say this is a safety feature

Why would anybody call a camera indicator light a safety feature?

Because our friends will kick our asses if we forget to turn the camera on and they can't put whatever nonsense they're doing on the YouTube.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I had a case where the rider didn't get off as planned at the agreed signal, or when I gave a good shake. I tossed her off, but ended up pulling lower than I wanted. She said she saw the signals but was having too much fun. Don't do that.

PS: GoPro. I don't have a lanyard on mine. It won't kill me to lose it.
:ph34r:

But what do I know?