PixieUK

Wingsuit rodeo - what do we need to know?

I would like to do a wingsuit rodeo (as passenger) for my 100th jump and have a willing bird who is a fairly experienced wingsuiter but it doesn't seem to be a particularly common thing to do in the UK and he's not had a passenger before. What should we be considering when planning our flight? We will most likely be the last out of the aircraft and it will be a single load at a one-plane dz.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

A stable exit where your center of gravity is near his is pretty important. Once flying, you have to realize that every little movement you make drastically affects him, you can't move around like you're in a kayak. His small flight path corrections will have to be exaggerated a bit due to the extra weight, and your fall rate will likely be about double what his standard wingsuit fall rate it. Talk ahead of time about what altitude you will come off, and allow him extra time to get stable once you are suddenly not there. The smaller the passenger, the easier it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1whv87He5Y

To add to that, make sure your weight is more towards the front of the wingsuiter. I've had passengers that lean back and kind of sit on their heels but that will just stall the wing.

I like to tell people to grab the shoulders of my rig and make sure they put a good portion of their weight near the shoulders.

I think a key point is also to get as flat and compact as possible during the exit. Don't sit up. Hold him really tight and don't grab his wings with your legs. When the exit went well and you are flying you can try to sit up to get a better view. Here is a double wingsuit rodeo we did last summer. We had a good fallrate, so that even non-suiters could easily follow. And don't forget the most important thing: Have fun!
[inline 11032087_10155451115575183_320351119_o.jpg]

Exit: rider should be as close as possible, grabbing the yoke from inside, so he/she can be closer. Keep your leg wing closed and arm wing fully extended as long as you get stable

Flying: I prefer that the rider having knees outside of mine and ankles inside of mine, keep away from pushing the wing and try to be in the center of fore/aft.

Separation: slide off or open from my back.

It is easier with a lighter, shorter rider, more challenging with a taller or heavier one.

I had 5 rodeos on a single day at a WS performance even, WS rodeo category. All were nice and from a Let410.

I wouldn't recommend sliding off. I know of an incident where the rider slid off and their reserve handle got caught on the wingsuiter's rig causing an unintentional reserve ride. I would recommend rolling off.

I've had two riders wrap their legs around my wings. It was much harder to control the flight.

Althought deploying off the back is cool, I've had a rider get slammed very hard on opening since we were flying very fast.

On exit, the rider needs to be as close as possible. I sometimes actually hold the rider on me by grabbing their leg straps or hugging their rig or legs behind me.

Althought deploying off the back is cool, I've had a rider get slammed very hard on opening since we were flying very fast.

If the rider doesn't know how to manage the much harder opening (remember, they're in the WS burble), it'll hurt, and in once case, caused whiplash.

Riders should also be aware that their altimeter isnt accurate in the WS burble.

Dirt dive it.

Thanks all. We've had some guidelines from one dz - deploying off the back of the wingsuit is definitely a no! We should be able to get a close exit from the plane (will be either a Grand Caravan or a Twin Otter) so hopefully will get a stable exit :)
Plan is to attempt it on Saturday if the weather is kind B|

A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

If you nail the exit, the rest is gravy. The most common problems are poor exit timing and rider getting separation then going over the front of the bird.

Exit is from outside. Bird takes firm grip on bar with right hand. Rider gets behind bird. Bird takes firm grip of rider's left leg strap. Rider holds onto yolk of bird with both hands. Bird does count and on exit, grabs rider's right leg strap. Once bird is belly to earth, drops both leg straps and flies.

Works really well.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I launched it out of a C-182 so a Caravan or Twin Otter should be no problem at all. There's a number of videos on YouTube that you can check out to see how they exit so you at least have a visual reference.

Too bad they can't deploy from your back. You get some great pics that way! Like one frame of fear and regret in their eyes...

monkycndo

If you nail the exit, the rest is gravy. The most common problems are poor exit timing and rider getting separation then going over the front of the bird.

Exit is from outside. Bird takes firm grip on bar with right hand. Rider gets behind bird. Bird takes firm grip of rider's left leg strap. Rider holds onto yolk of bird with both hands. Bird does count and on exit, grabs rider's right leg strap. Once bird is belly to earth, drops both leg straps and flies.

Works really well.

Thanks, that's really useful :)

DSE

Too bad they can't deploy from your back. You get some great pics that way! Like one frame of fear and regret in their eyes...

https://vimeo.com/64251059 Yeah, that deploying off the back thing is so under-rated.;)

I don't think he'll be wearing his GoPro, lol. And in the UK, I need another 100 jumps before I could even consider having a camera! But I'll still be rolling off at least 2000' before deployment height :)

The111

Underrated w.r.t risk involved, that's for sure. :-/ And overrated for cool factor.

+1 I've seen too much drama on under-planned rodeos with under-experienced participants. PM rodeos are always entertaining to be around however...

phoenixlpr

***We had a girl at our DZ fracture a vertebrae from a hard opening after pitching off the rodeo's back a few years back. I agree.

I have seen it without any problem.

You've likely also seen people drive drunk without problem.

Does that mean it's a safe behavior?

Lethal1ty17

Here's the latest rodeo from this past weekend. Launching from a C-182. Pic and video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLMcvsWYNW0

No offense intended, but that's not much of a rodeo with the rider only lying down and forward.

Point of note, you have a lanyard on your helmet. Please tell us that's not a safety lanyard for your camera?B|