anabatic

wingsuit friendly smoke mount w/cutaway

hey guys I have been working on these mounts for the last few months and I finally got them right, check them out!!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oubjvsbwj8ggvzu/AABZeb3YdxGcK574BO1tyNuha?dl=0

t6 - 6061 Aluminum foot mounted smoke grenade / camera bracket. WINGSUIT safe / friendly with cutaway on one side which can be reached with your Wing Suit booties on, or your RW-Suit booties on. See pictures for closer look.
Bracket includes Velcro straps w/cutaway, can be ordered for right or left foot (left foot is standard for most all jumpers). Mount will fit most all regular shoes types. 80$shipped anywhere in the lower 48 states, anywhere else please ask for a shipping quote. For multiple mounts/brackets ordered price will be reduced...
Package will contain
(1) One smoke / camera foot mount w/ straps and cutaway
(2) Two 2 13/16 - 3 3/4 inch hose clamps to hold in most smoke grenades

If there are any questions about the mount or you need some more clarification please PM me

https://youtu.be/xfJTGMH4JMA video link

shipping outside the lower 48 ~
Germany & Switzerland is roughly $108 shipped
Canada is roughly $98 shipped
first class international USPS
anywhere else let me know!

Interesting design. Wouldn't the metal base be slippery on a grassy/rocky exit point?

But before a mod jumps on you, all advertising is supposed to be in the classified section, not the forums.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

councilman24

A whole lot like someone else's.:|
https://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/top-gun-smoke-shoe-bracket

Go advertise your look alike in the classifieds.

How is that "Wingsuit friendly"?
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

WickedWingsuits

***A whole lot like someone else's.:|

How is that "Wingsuit friendly"?The J-Lo bracket puts the smoke cannister outside the wingsuit with no contact. A good bracket IMO
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

piisfish

******A whole lot like someone else's.:|

How is that "Wingsuit friendly"?The J-Lo bracket puts the smoke cannister outside the wingsuit with no contact. A good bracket IMO

Sure, but how does the cutaway work?
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

WickedWingsuits

*********A whole lot like someone else's.:|

Sure, but how does the cutaway work?

I had a J-Lo bracket. I was told by the manufacturer that you either (a) put it on over your bootie, or (b) put it on under the bootie and gave up the ability to easily use the cutaway.

I didn't like having no cutaway option, so I put it on over the bootie. It's easy enough to fly in a manner than compensates for the deformed suit, but on the third use of it, I lost the bracket mid-jump (despite the fact it was cinched up quite tight). Flying a suit tends to pull the wing taut, which sort of pushes the bracket off. Thankfully, it wasn't lost over anywhere populated or combustible.

Personally, I don't think either the J-Lo or the ChutingStar model is a great design for wingsuiting. I'd need to look more at this new design to see its benefits and drawbacks.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I apologize for the advertising, wing suit friendly is as said keeps the can further away from the foot/suit than the chutting star version also the cutaway allows you to get both straps free with one pull and you can reach the cutaway with your suit on, which is impossible with the chutting star version, comments are good though keep them coming I only have 12 left after this batch I was going to start on a second depending on how many more people want them if any I know that only about 3% of skydivers even jump these types of things... Also as far as slippery on exits mentioned further up grip tape could be used on the bottom if needed I have lots so defiantly and idea for you base jumpers I was worried about landings though having something catch and causing falling or injuries myself. Good bad or indifferent feedback is wanted gentleman keep it coming. Also I will change what I wrote up top to make it "what do you think" verse all the details for advertising. Thanks for checking it out guys.

It's weird you got recommended to put it over the bootie, as thats not an advice I've ever heard him give anyone else (before or after you lost it). Its been designed for use under the bootie, and has never been meant or used otherwise? Unless you have perhaps have emails that say otherwise, as I distinctly remember us both having a laugh back then at you using it over your wingsuit?;)

The cutaway on the bigger foot bracket was meant only for under canopy use. Not for 'cutaway in freefall'

The newer bracket he sells (which I designed) is possible to wear on the ankle, vs foot, and with a simple cord can be rigged to cutaway even when used under a suit.
but the best option is to actually rig a cutaway on the smoke-can vs the bracket.

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

mccordia

It's weird you got recommended to put it over the bootie, as thats not an advice I've ever heard him give anyone else (before or after you lost it). Its been designed for use under the bootie, and has never been meant or used otherwise? Unless you have perhaps have emails that say otherwise, as I distinctly remember us both having a laugh back then at you using it over your wingsuit?;)

The cutaway on the bigger foot bracket was meant only for under canopy use. Not for 'cutaway in freefall'

The newer bracket he sells (which I designed) is possible to wear on the ankle, vs foot, and with a simple cord can be rigged to cutaway even when used under a suit.
but the best option is to actually rig a cutaway on the smoke-can vs the bracket.

I wish I still had my emails from back then (I lapsed on my payment to Google one month when a credit card expired and I lost everything pre-2011). But I'm pretty damn certain I followed his directions precisely, because I specifically asked the question and was kind of surprised with the answer.

Having said that, I'd love to see his/your new design. Can you link me (here or on FB)?
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I like that ankle mount I tell you, great idea I tell you!!! one question though, how would you even strap something over your bootie of your wing suit, the leg wing would be considerably in the way from me envisioning it?? tunedbyJoe seems to have his stuff together...

anabatic

tunedbyJoe seems to have his stuff together...

It is not Joe, it is J-Lo, like Jennifer Lopez, on steroids, with total hair loss :Dhttp://kampenonline.com/brunstvdsjl55/

That's him right there in this legendary movie Ghostrider

Maybe Jarno can post the link to the Matrix movie which was an absolute delight too.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Originally named Jean-Louis, the name J-Lo came up as a joke as some people had trouble pronouncing his real name. The whole J-Lo of the lowlands thing stuck a bit to well;)
Similar to FlyLikeBrick, a fun thing that grew a bit beyond what was expected..

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Just to show you an alternative design to make you think (it's not my design btw - talk to Renier at Ram Air)

Fits under the leg wing, cutaway on inside of leg works whilst wing is zipped up + the whole thing has a couple of foot leash around your ankle) on it so if you do cut away it doesn't fall into a crowd killing a bazillion people (BPA requirement)

And the smoke canister is a nice distance away from the wingsuit.

And you can remove the smoke canister and mount a go pro...
Jump more, post less.

MrCat

Just to show you an alternative design to make you think (it's not my design btw - talk to Renier at Ram Air)

Fits under the leg wing, cutaway on inside of leg works whilst wing is zipped up + the whole thing has a couple of foot leash around your ankle) on it so if you do cut away it doesn't fall into a crowd killing a bazillion people (BPA requirement)

And the smoke canister is a nice distance away from the wingsuit.

And you can remove the smoke canister and mount a go pro...

that is an absolutely fabulous idea having it just drop down further, thanks for sharing this!!

It looks like the attachment can be rotated. Consider rotating the canister so it points and discharges in line towards your toe. The angle shown can put smoke in the vortices of the leg wing and smoke will often be sucked onto the leg wing= smoke stained suit. My smoke bracket holds the canister even with the sole of my shoe and can adjust the angle of the smoke discharge so it is about 45 degrees away from the center line of my foot. That orientation has worked so far to get the smoke away from the suit.

And a good reminder on the leash. The common reasons to cut away are canister sidewall burn through and entanglement on deployment. All smoke brackets should have a leash to prevent a still burning cut away smoke canister from possibly falling on the public. And if you have a canopy/bracket entanglement, the leash should also have some way of being jettisoned if you are dragging your main behind you and you MUST get rid of it. A still burning smoke canister stuck on a cut away main should burn out before the canopy reaches the ground. One hopes.

Smoke is no joke, treat it with respect.

Jump an Infinity

I don't know why this didn't dawn on me before but I know now why I wanted the actual cutaway to completely cut away from my person, stupid really to have a lanyard (no offence to anyone) but big thing is when I jump a right and left foot mount there is always the chance for a horse shoe so that was the main reason for no lanyard and or total cutaway option.. any takes on this, has anyone ever had a horse shoe from something strapped on their foot??

If the mount is for gopro only, no lanyard needed. But if it is for smoke, a lanyard is a must if flying over people or property that can catch fire. Would hate to try and make a claim on demo insurance to cover burning someone's house down from a dropped M18 smoke canister. I am still refining my cut away system that is two stage. One to cut away the mount itself, the second stage to release the lanyard.

I have seen some real janky smoke mounts. Everything from a bracket screwed through the bottom of a shoe to actually duct taping the canister directly to the shoe. Shudder.

Jump an Infinity

In the eighties on of our team had a M-18 come out of the bracket, land in a field and start a grass fire. At a Historic Car Museum with 10's of milllions worth of old cars. :o

I WASN'T part of the rigging crew.:)

Did you ever complete the mount you were talking about last year? Couldn't find anything about it.

I'm working on one with a different basis for both attachment and cutaway. It should be bootie friendly. Still in mock up stage but a question. All of the mounts I've seen in the last couple of days are putting the canister a long ways (comparatively) out and creating one hell of a big hook for things to get caught on. Why are people feeling they need them that far away? Yes I familiar with heat, staining, burning etc. Used to jump red M-18's.:S May goal is snag resistant, not impossible but close.

Later we got to the point we would only do post deployment hanging smoke.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Terry, still working on mine. Other stuff moved closer to front burner.

My design does have the bracket arm that creates space away from the foot for two reasons. For WS, you need room to be able to unzip the leg wing. Sticking your hand next to a hot canister is no fun. Also, I want to be able to adjust the angle of the smoke canister so the smoke is less likely to get caught in the wing tip vortices and "smoke" the suit.

I wish I could find the picture of a WS jump we did in Utah. The smoke is sucked onto the back of the leg wing and instead of a nice tight line of smoke trailing behind us, the smoke is pulled into the burble and dilutes the smoke trail.

There is no way to eliminate the snag hazard, but my intent is for it to only be used on the outside of the left foot to keep it as far away as possible from a deploying PC.

Jump an Infinity