freestyle7457

4-Way Exit from Cessna 182

I swear I've seen this subject posted on a forum here somewhere before, but after a lengthy search nothing specific came up. If it has and someone can post the link it would be most appreciated.
Currently at a cessna dz with a growing (slowly, but surely) number of wingsuit jumpers. While we have the luxury of having wide-bodied 182's, that doesn't change the size of the door or step :)

Bottom line is...anyone have experience with 4-way WS exits from a 182? I've used a standard 3-person out, 1 in the door exit, but would like to read some opinions on what has (and hasn't) worked for y'all.

No one is jumping any massive suits, making a 4-way exit a little easier, but safety in a tight spot is very important and should be thought about first and foremost. We've all seen a 182, but I uploaded a picture of our jump plane anyways...

Thanks for your input!

The only "one" I have done, I put my foot on the tire, got on front of the strut, leaving room for the others. My exit was not great but with some practice I think it would be better.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Just work on having the first one or two out (after avoiding the tail with proper exits) fly their suits, so there isnt much altitude loss, and the remaining two can just one by one exit.

Putting 4 people outside on a small plane like that, you risk putting the whole plane in a big turn/dive sideways, as you're putting 350 to 400 kg (or 600kg if its a US related question:P) on one side of the plane. Not the best scenario.

Just do a nice 2 way exit, and launch the remaining two in orderly fashion from inside, and fly your body....

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Putting 4 people outside on a small plane like that, you risk putting the whole plane in a big turn/dive sideways, as you're putting 350 to 400 kg (or 600kg if its a US related questionTongue) on one side of the plane. Not the best scenario.

As anyone from a small DZ will tell you, this is untrue. We launch 4-way FS with everyone outside of the 182 all the time as standard procedure. It's been that way forever. ( I know nothing of WS though and I can't help you with that)
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Putting 4 people outside on a small plane like that, you risk putting the whole plane in a big turn/dive sideways, as you're putting 350 to 400 kg (or 600kg if its a US related questionTongue) on one side of the plane. Not the best scenario.

As anyone from a small DZ will tell you, this is untrue. We launch 4-way FS with everyone outside of the 182 all the time as standard procedure. It's been that way forever. ( I know nothing of WS though and I can't help you with that)

4 wingsuits on the outside causes a LOT more drag thank 4 way FS. In fact I bet 2 Wingsuits causes the same drag as a 4 way FS team. Give it a go and report back eh?

We did a 7 way (plus camera) Wingsuit record out of 2 182's and found that 2 out, 1 in the door and 1 diver worked best. The trail plane guys getting out had to do so at the same pace as the lead guys getting out to keep the drag similar.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

i started wingsuiting in a 182,
we launch 4 ways quite often out of it. bigsuits included.
here is how we have been doing it.
first person out the door hangs from the strut. (cross your legs/bend knees to keep the tail shut down.)
next person out holds the strut, standing on the step, facing the prop.
next person wedges themselves out the door on the step but next to the body of the plane, last guy is a diver. hangar goes first. we launch 3 and 4 ways quite often like this. make sure the diver has some experience because they end up having to work the most to get to the formation.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121