tred

wingsuit disciplines?

the basics are flocking(formation flight), acro(backfly and other freefly like stuff in a WS), preformance flight ( going for max speed, time or distance), and then you have artistic and 4 way sequentials competition( formations with points and more freefly style flying)

http://wingsuitcompetition.com/

Flocking becomes really old after a short bit.

Currently we have:

Flocking (can be recorded as records if flown cleanly enough, must be four-way or larger. Currently only flat flocks are recognized)
Performance (individual competition for time/distance/speed) Recognized as a competitive discipline by FAI and USPA (and other orgs).
Acro (two way competition, see link above. Recognized as a competitive discipline by FAI and USPA (and other orgs).
Sequential (four way teams, not *currently* recognized by any body, but a helluva lotta fun).
XRW (canopy/wingsuit relative work, not *currently* recognized by any body)

The discipline is expanding, but the short of it is, anybody can buy a big suit, hang flat/dumb/happy. it takes skill to participate in any of the above. If you're just wanting fun/hang time, and aren't interested in social skydiving, then any kind of suit works well. For flocking or acro, the suits become a bit more specialized. The Performance competitions are built for any size of suit. Sequential is for any size of suit. XRW is for med-large to very large suits.

Either way, *most* wingsuiters have multiple tools in their closets. Find a school with a number of demos. Fly with a few people. Find what you like most and start there.

DSE

http://wingsuitcompetition.com/

Currently we have:

Flocking (can be recorded as records if flown cleanly enough, must be four-way or larger. Currently only flat flocks are recognized)

i wish i could do enough flocks to get bored with it.:) with out getting to the flying mattress stage and getting myself in trouble. i'm 6 ft 4 260lbs my pool of demo suits is limited for sure[:/]
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

***http://wingsuitcompetition.com/

Currently we have:

i wish i could do enough flocks to get bored with it.:) with out getting to the flying mattress stage and getting myself in trouble. i'm 6 ft 4 260lbs my pool of demo suits is limited for sure[:/]

I know several larger guys that fly wingsuits in formations. The Sbird seems to be one of the more common for the guys that tend to fall a bit faster. But your height is also a plus. I fly an Rbird most of the time and have flown an Sbird a few times. The Sbird is not wildly different, not hard to fly at all.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

tred

2. what else is there?

brand wars. Never underestimate brandwars.

Online coaching is also a thing.

Both activities make wingsuiting pretty close to swooping :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

piisfish

2. what else is there?

brand wars. Never underestimate brandwars.

Online coaching is also a thing.

Both activities make wingsuiting pretty close to swooping :D

You need a megasuit to swoop well.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”