jeffspicoli

Best suit for XRW?

Ha-ha. you might as well of asked "what is the best canopy for swooping" mate, all a matter of opinion really.
The problem is most pilots at that level are either sponsored, so obviously are going to recommend their brand or have done the majority of their WS jumps on one particular suit or brand and that's why they think it is the best... I am the later :)
I’ve done quite a lot of XRW and I fly Tony Suits. I own a Rebel 2, a Rebel 3 and an X3, I think the X3 is perfect for XRW.
When we do our little XRW camps, I usually fly camera and my buddies fly X3’s and Rebel’s, one dude has an Aura and one dude has a Venom Power.
We started doing XRW in OZ a few years ago and back then it was all about “Lift”. These days the canopies are smaller and dive more (we use a Petra 67 & JXV 69) so vertical fall rate is really not much of a problem anymore in the big suits, I even find myself arching a fair bit in my X3 these days flying beside the Petra. The hard part is forward speed, as fast as they are, the canopy’s will always fly considerably slower forward than any of the large/high performance wingsuits so the trick is to find a WS that is large but can also be flown very slow and dirty without skating around, stalling and falling out of the sky.
Obviously I love the X3 for this. It has heaps of lift but also maintains its lift when I am flying it as slow and dirty as I can to match a canopy’s speed, I really feel it is perfect for XRW.
My second observation from doing jumps with my mates is the Venom Power is also a fantastic XRW suit. My mate fly’s his like a rock star and is barely moving in his slot. The suit is just rock solid at that slow speed and is really impressive to watch.
These are my opinions. I can vouch for the Tony Suits X3 for XRW, it’s made for it and my friend thinks the Power is also fantastic for XRW and having seen it fly a lot next to a canopy I would tend to agree. The Aura seemed to be little Skatey in my opinion and never as solid as the Tony Suits or Venom Power with XRW. I’m sure it is a great wingsuit but it seems to struggle at very low forward speeds (nearly on stall point) and gets a little hard to handle..
Food for thought, Tony has just bought out the RBird Pro which is basically a Rebel2 without a long leg wing. Apparently is has the Lift of a Rebel but because the leg wing doesn’t extend beyond the feet it can fly very slow without any troubles.. Apparently it is a dream for XRW. I know Travis Mickle has done a fair bit with it?

Hope that helps.

the biggest suit that you are most comfortable in.

I fly an Aura and love it for XRW.
at flock n dock this year we did a few jumps with super experienced people.

Lurch(apache xrw),Florez(jedei2),Moe viletto(rbirdpro), etc. rob harris was the canopy pilot was flying at 2.8 leeia.
I was the only person to get in.

on the next jump I got Curt Bartholomew and Nick Bastch to fly canopy. they were at 3.2 on peregrine/valkrie not sure. everyone got in. (I got curts first XRW dock!)

it is the canopy pilots loading and setup,the wingsuit pilots skills and wingsuit that make a successful XRW jump.
its not just a suit.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121