Bluhdow

PF Fins

These have been out there for a while now on several different suit models.

Who's using them/likes them/loves them and why? Who isn't/hates them/is indifferent to them and why?

I've got a Venom Power with about 30 flights. 25 with fins, 5 without. My experience has been that the fins make a noticeable difference in flight. The tail feels much more crisp with the fins and I think add a lot to the suit.

That said, the washy-ness without fins isn't so great as to create an issue. When flying steep and fast I can't notice much of a difference with or without fins. When flying flat and slow however, you'll notice the missing fins and feel a little more washy.

Just curious to hear what other people are doing, especially with the Venom.

Thanks!
Apex BASE

I mostly notice a (huge) difference on aggressive flying with very steep/banking turns/carves.
Which I prefer over static 'planking' for a whole skydive.

If by some miracle I am doing skydives with just straight line flying, I often fly without, as its just easier to not stab someone in the kidneys with them during the airplane part. But on performance runs the fins also make it noticeably easier to keep the suit flying smooth and straight..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I've also got a venom power and have done about 20 jumps with the fins and 2 without. To be sure, I prefer it with the fins. Like you, I've found it really noticeable in a slower mode of flight for some reason. Granted, when I was flying steeper I took it easy on the aggressive turns as I didn't want to start fish tailing. But with the fins I felt as though I was on rails even when spinning through near head down cork screws.

Though, if the fins are not placed on the suit perfectly they do seem to move about or are pinned out to the side. fortunately they are just right on my suit. But a friends venom has the fins pointed out to the side. So for him, the fins make little difference and he chooses to fly without them.

I'm not sure I am convinced that just fixing body position is the ideal solution here. Of course better body position should be part of the fix, but this kind of movement does impact flight unexpectedly.

Off the top of my head, I wonder if smaller fins and/or stiffer booties is the solution.

In my mind I'm envisioning a stiff rubber fin that is molded as a single piece with the soles of the suit. I wonder if that is feasible.
Apex BASE

As an update, I've been flying without fins for a few weeks now.

I no longer notice any washiness in the back end. I think I've either gotten used to it and/or naturally adjusted my flying slightly to account for it.

That said, I'll be flying without the fins and still feel like the suit flys sharply without them.
Apex BASE