uberchris

pitch habits

Not sure if this is a good/bad/or other idea, but after my whopping 60 wingsuit flights, i have found over the last 15 or so that the pull sequence that works best for me as far as stability in air, canopy heading, and canopy opening softness is:

during full flight, flatten out/flair a bit, reach back and pitch whilst keeping my leg wing extended, back to full flight and then dropping my knees and bringing them up towards my chest as the dbag gets to line stretch and my canopy starts opening.

any reason why this would be considered a bad habit now, or later when i upsize to a bigger suit?

like i said, it works beautifully for me so far. i fly a P3
gravity brings me down.........

uberchris

Not sure if this is a good/bad/or other idea, but after my whopping 60 wingsuit flights, i have found over the last 15 or so that the pull sequence that works best for me as far as stability in air, canopy heading, and canopy opening softness is:

during full flight, flatten out/flair a bit, reach back and pitch whilst keeping my leg wing extended, back to full flight and then dropping my knees and bringing them up towards my chest as the dbag gets to line stretch and my canopy starts opening.

any reason why this would be considered a bad habit now, or later when i upsize to a bigger suit?

like i said, it works beautifully for me so far. i fly a P3

My 2cents; bringing your knees to your chest makes you smaller, and therefore more likely to:
A-increase risk of body turning to one side or other
B-increase speed of your body, enabling forces to cause you to increase rate of rotating body
C-if you have a weak pitch, you may cause the turn out of "normal" muscle memory.

Dropping and closing the knees is good, but I'd skip the "bringing them to your chest" part.
With a bigger suit, you'll likely find this won't work well anyway.
Good on you for thinking about it and asking about it.
So long as your body is head-up and balanced at deployment time, most everything else works.

Absolut

One of the problems I see is that if you don't find your handle immediately and fumble around because of your extended leg wing and collapsed arm wings you will probably end up head down.

that might happen.

But consider this, do you think an airplane would be more unstable if you suddenly removed the tail wing or front wing? And by stability I mean not rotating about a flight axis, in both instances the airplane would begin free fall but if it is the tail wing that's removed it begins a violent rotation into a nose dive, whereas if the front wing rips off the plane enters free fall without much rotation about the longitudinal axis