dthames

Deployment tries?

I say this in response to comments on the recent fatality thread where it was suggested that the jumper had some fears about stable deployment.

When I first started flying WS I had control issues and at pull time, I felt that I needed to start stable and to hurry and deploy before I got sideways or something. Sometime later I really learned the value of being able to stay in the “student” deployment position for an extended period and fall/fly like that. Also learning that my terminal speed in that position was about 70 MPH helped me to be able to settle down and not be rushed even if I had a bit of trouble. The understanding that I didn’t need to rush has also been helpful with unfamiliar suits or anytime something is not ideal.

For anyone that don’t think they can fall stable all folded up, I would encourage you to learn.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I have a little feedback for this thread.

This weekend one of my bird buddies had his hand slip off the handle when the pull was harder than expected. He went to try for a second time and created some instability. Most likely this was because he started rushing a bit.

Because of the altitude, working to become stable didn't make sense so he went to his reserve.

He said he really wanted to try one more time for the main. I am glad he didn't. I couldn't tell what the problem was but I knew he was a lot lower than normal for him and I just watched helplessly until he got something out.

I don't think he was using an all folded up deployment posture. I have never had a missed pull like that and even folded up, I don't know if I would stay stable under the exact same conditions.

I know he had a "brisk" opening of the reserve. All is well but just more food for thought.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”