sdctlc

Should the USPA adopt Wingsuiting at Nationals?

As someone who only has a handful of wingsuit jumps - what kind of events do you want added? I can't really picture a FS/VFS sort of turning points in wingsuits. Just freestyle?

I'm not saying its a bad idea I just can't picture what the events would be..

The FAI on Jan 31st ratified Performance Wingsuit Flying as a dicipline. This was based on the PPC rules, http://ppc.paralog.net/.

Some info at:
http://www.fai.org/ipc-slider-news/39180-wingsuit-performance-flying

It is defined by performance in 3 events through a 1000 meter vertical window measured by a GPS device such as a Flysight. The 3 events are Speed, Distance and Time.

Scott C
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

faulknerwn

As someone who only has a handful of wingsuit jumps - what kind of events do you want added? I can't really picture a FS/VFS sort of turning points in wingsuits. Just freestyle?

I'm not saying its a bad idea I just can't picture what the events would be..

Wendy, our community has been holding non-sanctioned events identical to what other countries have been hosting for years.

I've been a Meet Director for several Performance Events (individual competitor, measuring Time Aloft, Distance flown, and Speed over three jumps. Three jumps=one round. Competition is typically 2-4 rounds or 6-12 jumps). This format is sanctioned by FAI/IPC.
https://www.facebook.com/events/776523132414122/
These have been held at Skydive Elsinore and Skydive City over the past 5 years.

-Acro; This event is wingsuit relative work with barrel rolls, flips, backflying. Think of horizontal freeflying (sort of). Controlled docks are the scoring metric. This format is sanctioned by FAI/IPC.
To date, this event has only been held at Skydive Elsinore.

-There is also a four-way competition of dynamic formations that has thus far, had two competitions. This format has not been accepted by FAI/IPC.

With key members of the USPA being involved in the initial push and acceptance for IPC/FAI I think a lot of people incorrectly assume this isnt already in the works, or somehow not supported.

For everyone involved in making this a reality, the people within USPA helping, supporting and promoting these two disciplines at IPC/FAI have been nothing but supportive, showcasing a big understanding, care and integrity towards for these two formats..

I think a bit of patience is all thats needed, to let the people who did a lot if great work so far also do things the right way within your own organisation. Don't let votes, petitions be more than a tool to show support. Don't turn the positive momentum into a negative vibe. The right people are involved and working hard, the 'official way' isnt always one to protest, fight or force outside the intended path..have faith..this is happening and its happening with the right steps, speed and support.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?