aatif96

Can you make this washing machine Fly?

OK folks! I've been waiting a few years to be able to post on this forum but I've finally accumulated enough jumps (200) to be able to start wingsuiting!! I plan on taking my FFC this year and realize my dream of flying. From when I first fell in love with this sport, I've faced a number of challenges due to my size. I'm 5'6" and weigh about 240lbs (lost 50 lbs just to get into the sport). I have the aerodynamics of a bowling ball and fall like a greased piano [:/]. Suffice to say I'm always the base in RW and why bother freeflying when my jumps would last 30 secs. I am athletic for my size so I do have muscles under my chub (picture a model trapped inside a fat person) :P

So after talking with the folks over at Wicked, its safe to assume no one would have a rental entry level suit that would fit me. Plus I feel a Prodigy or I-bird would be a glorified camera suit for me. Since I'm going to have to drop the $ for a tailored suit and dont want to outgrow it in a year and still not be able to flock, what suit would be suggested for someone in my shoes? I know I'm not going to win any comps for hang time, I just want a suit that will allow me to flock with the more svelte birds. I've been leaning towards an R-bird or the Funk, would that be too risky as a beginner suit for a big bird? Also, just as in swooping (which I dont do), what areas in wingsuiting would someone with a large gravity engine excel at?

Thanks for the help!

Aatif "Chocolate Thunder"

Anyone who knows Scotty Burns (THE wingsuit guy) knows he's a fairly hefty fellow but can easily hold his own, so it isn't entirely about size. Before assuming you wouldn't fit any rental, call around with your measurements and all, and ask if they have anything in the intro range that might fit. Wicked Wingsuits isn't the only place that rents suits out. You should contact Walter Dec of Redline Aerosports, he also rents suits out. Can't promise he'll have one to fit, but it's worth a try. I've rented two suits from him and had him custom make one for me that I took delivery of last week.

http://www.redlineaerosports.ws/home.html

I would suggest you talk to Tony at Tonysuits. He has some new Rbird based suits with much larger wings. If you could get a new Rbird that later could be modified with the large wing, that might be a way to go. You would have something somewhat reasonable to start with for maybe 1/3 of the cost of a new suit, make it larger. Maybe.

At any rate, talking to Tony would hurt.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

dthames

I would suggest you talk to Tony at Tonysuits. He has some new Rbird based suits with much larger wings. If you could get a new Rbird that later could be modified with the large wing, that might be a way to go. You would have something somewhat reasonable to start with for maybe 1/3 of the cost of a new suit, make it larger. Maybe.

At any rate, talking to Tony would hurt.

This is a really good idea. I'd go this route. Though it would be better to start on a T-Bird for at least the first few flights if possible.
Apex BASE

Thanks everyone for the input! Since I posed this I've already spoke to Scotty Burns and Wicked again and it looks like there is hope after all. I freaken love this community! I've been hitting the gym every day hard and am motivated to be able to fly. I feel like a girl but instead of a picture of a dress i want to fit into, I keep a pic of a wingsuit in front of the treadmill to keep me going. I was 280 lbs at my heaviest and dropped the weight just to get into this sport so I can do it again to keep me in the air. Thanks for all your help guys, you'll be seeing my sexy fat ass with wings at a DZ near you!

"Chocolate Thunder"

if we are ever on the same dropzone together I would love to do some R W with you ;) tony is the man he gave me a smoking deal on my wing suitB|

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

:)
You've brought nothing but the most relentless positivity to the dropzone and the friends you've found there. That energy makes you a priceless asset to our community.

Let me talk to Scotty. Maybe he's got something on the rack that'd fit you. One way or another, you'll get your wings. I can guarantee you that. And when you do... we're goin' up.

:)-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Aatif - just spotted this thread. YEEEHAWWWW! I'm so psyched to share the sky with you in a wing suit!!!! You, me, Lurch in a docked 3-way will be EPIC!!!! See you in the sky soon! Let me know when the shenanigans begin - I really want to be there to see the grin get stuck on your face during your first flight B|
-Rick