float

need advice for flysight set up for wingsuit flights

its a bit of a newbie question but I'm not sure about the new beta mode settings.
what should i set my min and max amounts to for
1 horizontal speed
2 air time
3 distance

any recommendations for settings and limits for tone, rate and speech would be helpful as I haven't worked it out yet

any help would be great.

float

its a bit of a newbie question but I'm not sure about the new beta mode settings.
what should i set my min and max amounts to for
1 horizontal speed
2 air time
3 distance

any recommendations for settings and limits for tone, rate and speech would be helpful as I haven't worked it out yet

any help would be great.

Horz speed and Glide Ratio are both influenced a lot by the wind that you are flying in. Vert speed is the most useful for me.

http://flysight.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Configuring_FlySight might help, as well.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

First let's look at the tone settings.

The best way to set min/max for any of these is to look at data from one of your previous jumps. This will give you an idea what range you cover.

As Dan says, the easiest one to work with is vertical speed, since it doesn't depend at all on winds. If you look at a previous jump and see that you've been flying around 40 mph vertical speed, say, then you could set the FlySight for a range from 30 mph to 50 mph. You can use Google to do the necessary conversion. For example, to convert 30 mph:

https://www.google.ca/#q=30+mph+in+cm/s

Since 30 mph is 1341 cm/s, you want to set Min to 1341. Similarly, you would want to set Max to 2235.

With glide ratio and horizontal speed, the situation is a bit more complex, since a tailwind will help you out and a headwind will hurt you. For a beginner, the default settings should give audible changes and unless you've got a smoking tailwind, you should fall somewhere inside the range. For more advanced use, you can look at several jumps in different wind conditions to get an idea what range you actually cover.

I wouldn't usually adjust the rate settings. It's possible, e.g., to have the tone rate increase when your speed increases, but this isn't usually as easy to distinguish as a change in tone pitch.

The speech settings are really easy to change, since you don't need to specify a range. Just choose what you want to hear dictated.

If you're competing in a PPC competition, you won't get the best result just by optimizing your body position for one parameter--what I call steady state flying. Since the competition is judged through a finite window, the best strategy is generally to enter the window with lots of energy and exit the window "with nothing left in the tank". If you look at the records on the PPC website, you'll see some very dynamic flying. In terms of training, it's best to use the FlySight to get an idea what the effect of different body positions is, and then build a plan around that information.

For example, if I'm flying for maximum time, I will dive down to a point just above the top of the competition window, plane out hard and "glide" through the window using that initial energy to float as much as possible. Ideally, when I hit the end of the window I should have used up most of the energy and I should be just about to fall out of the sky. The FlySight can help to minimize vertical speed in the "floating" section of the jump, but ultimately you've got to set yourself up properly in the dive and transition to make it work, and those parts are too dynamic for a single piece of information to be of much use.

I hope this helps!

Michael

One of my favorite tricks (for Flysight setup) is to set it in Horz mode and drive around in a car, listening to it. It is a lot easier to make setting changes and to test them on the ground than doing it between jumps. After I get mine the way I want it, I switch back to Vert speed and I am ready to go jump it.

I do scale down the speed ranges to avoid unwanted attention while drive testing it.

surfers98

Michael - it might be helpful to transpose some of the info from the forum threads on to the flysight.ca website. Just a thought.

That's a great idea. The wiki gets added to once in a while, but I'm not really sure what's the best way to add something like this without the wiki becoming a disorganized mess. Any thoughts?

Michael

crwper

***Michael - it might be helpful to transpose some of the info from the forum threads on to the flysight.ca website. Just a thought.

That's a great idea. The wiki gets added to once in a while, but I'm not really sure what's the best way to add something like this without the wiki becoming a disorganized mess. Any thoughts?

Michael

Maybe just a short description and a link back to the thread. One row per thread, that was worth referencing.