chriseidan

would you buy a colugo 1 used today

well what are the stipulations? if it was a c1 for 800 and a c2 for 1000 id buy the c2. if it s a c1 for 800 (I've seen em for cheaper,) and this is your introduction to big suits, why not a c1. save some money, put 100 or so jumps on it and by then the c3 or a2 might be out. if you bought a c1 for 750 and sold it for 500 after 100 jumps, id say thats a good deal. people are still buying up vampire 3's for 500 with 1000 jumps on the suit...

every big suit has its nuances to find out, however the aura and c2 were the easiest suits I've ever adapted to and the only reason i never owned a c1 was because i had an apache x, that i didn't feel the need to sell and lose money, to get a colugo with slightly better performance. i put about 10 jumps give or take on a c1 before i made the decision to keep the apache BUT the c1 was a better suit.
does the c2 have more performance than a c1? without a doubt.
will a new to big wings pilot be able to "be there" in 100 jumps? BIG MAYBE, but what you're missing out on is not an extra 1000 dollars in performance. theres A LOT more to take in than that extra .5% of glide ratio or a slightly better turn.
starting in a wing suit that all the best used before what they are jumping now, the update is more powerful and quicker to handle, will (well should ;) ) create a more knowledgeable pilot.
just like doing 200 jumps in a p2 before a havok will more than likely make you a much better wing suit pilot than going to havok after 50 p2 jumps + 150 havok jumps, even though a lot of people are wanting to go that route these days.
if you know motorcycle racing, valentino rossi didn't go from 125's to 500. he dominated every class first. same with casey stoner and marc marquez. (tho the latter different engines, similar bullshit)

I had about 70 jumps on my Aura this summer when I chose to get some modications done to it (personal choice, the suit had zero problems with it). I jumped my C1 as a back up and was smiling ear to ear the entire flight; I forgot how much fun that suit was (along with its performance & responsiveness). I doubt I will ever get rid of it.

I don't think you can compare the C1 to the C2 too much, as they are in a different class, both in planform and design - all purpose BASE vs. speed/performance/agilty (not saying you can't do both with either, just looking for differences).

In short, if you're on a budget, you can score an awesome suit for cheap with a used C1. Dooo iiit.

Lot of my friends who flew C1 was quite disapointed by it. Not about the perf, it fly good but most of them didn t like the handling and feeling. Can t say more because i didn t fly it myself but most of them have changed now for an Aura and they definitly like it way more, say it s way more easy to fly, better handling, better perf (and less "unpredictable" move).
I don t know what ws you fly now but saying C1 is good to enter in "big ws" is maybe too much because it s already one of the biggest on the market. And about resale i m not sure people are still looking after this one in 2 years.
And last personnal pov, if you only skydive, this kind of suit are quite useless, stay on Funk, Havok Carve, Hawk, Rb2, etc, way more fun ;)

I went from PF suits (venom, V4) to Squirrel (C1 at the time), and the learning curve was huge for me - figuring out proper body inputs for desired response, etc. It was weird at first, then I loved it. I found the Aura to handle similar, just better in almost every way. Everyone figures out suits differently, and we all have our preferences.

alygator

saying C1 is good to enter in "big ws" is maybe too much

I only said it was an awesome suit (IMO, but I believe that is implied), nothing about it being good for big suit introductions or not. As for resale, time will tell.

Suit choice all depends on what you want to do in the sky... as long as we're all having fun. *Group Hug*

flipwithit

in short, the finesse needed to make up for the lack of power will make you a much better pilot than power making up for lack of finesse.

That is what I keep telling myself after struggling to keep up with state of the art suits and expert pilots.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

mho... i owned a c1, i liked it but never "loved it"
i owned a v4 and absolutely hated that suit
i still own an Xbird and an Aura and LOVE them both.
my issue with the c1 was how loose your arms are in the sleeves. it allows the suit to kind of do its own thing a little.
also i noticed the c1 liked to be flown a little steeper than what i was used to (tonysuits) so i never felt like i was getting a great flare out of the suit. this really bothered me.... i sent the c1 back and got an aura "THANK YOU SQUIRREL" it was everything i was hoping for and more.
such an improvment over the c1. it flared great and was very stable. my friend still has his c1 and its still a fun suit to fly. just not my cup of tea anymore
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

I second what JPEngel said: C1 and C2 are totally different suits, not even in the same class. Also like JPEngel said, I know a couple BASE ws pilots who actually prefer the C1 over the Aura.

To answer your question more directly, yes I would definitely consider buying a C1 (assuming it fit very well and was a good deal).