HIGH1

Post-Deployment; What is the most effective way to free your hands for immediate canopy actions?

The reason behind the poll: What will work best in the development of arm wing breakdown in order to effectively take control of your canopy and/or emergency procedures with the least amount of steps.

In deployment, You see various techniques to reach, grab, pull and prey (add your variation) but after utilizing your varied deployment technique what will mitigate body position, harness shifting, head down (etc) which leads to malfunctions....
(Im Not saying the aforementioned is the root cause of malfunctions but it builds the arguable points to improve)
A common malfunction is line twist. Line twist under a heavy loaded canopy (1.5+ lbs/sqft) Could lead to the inevitable ground rush or cutaway but hence the poll.....
What is the fastest way to take control of this situation? and What wingsuit options will help free your arms faster?
Check your ego at the door. Stay humble.

Not a very clear poll. All suits you can do EP's without any change to zips cutaways etc. Multiple designs of suits means that to free arms your sometimes don't need to do anything some you un zip some you simply stretch. Not clear what your trying to ask or achieve here.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

I think he meant, what is the quickest/best method to reach your risers in a wingsuit, not just immediately cutaway.

Depending on the scenario, a cutaway may be justified, but if you were plenty high, not ultra-violently spinning, but still needed quick action. Personally, if it wasn't a true "emergency", I'd just stick my arms out, but I'd also consider undoing zips if I needed a bit more freedom. Zips are much easier/quicker to undo before they're all bunched up on your upper arm.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

HIGH1

The reason behind the poll: What will work best in the development of arm wing breakdown in order to effectively take control of your canopy and/or emergency procedures with the least amount of steps.

In deployment, You see various techniques to reach, grab, pull and prey (add your variation) but after utilizing your varied deployment technique what will mitigate body position, harness shifting, head down (etc) which leads to malfunctions....
(Im Not saying the aforementioned is the root cause of malfunctions but it builds the arguable points to improve)
A common malfunction is line twist. Line twist under a heavy loaded canopy (1.5+ lbs/sqft) Could lead to the inevitable ground rush or cutaway but hence the poll.....
What is the fastest way to take control of this situation? and What wingsuit options will help free your arms faster?

Maybe jumping with a more managable canopy when flying a wingsuit would be a good idea.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I agree with the silly question option. If a suit has an escape sleeve option, that will be the quickest because you can reach straight up. In suits that have thumb loops (havok/funk/shadow) the thumb loop prevents this so you pretty much have to unzip. It was common practice for quite a few norwegian base jumpers in sflys to cutaway their wings while the canopy was opening because that was the fastest method in that suit. I guess the answer is... depends.

In my opinion thats incorrect, although it may not be as easy to reach your risers with thumb loops its absolutely possible.

if you bring up your knees you will gain a lot of range to reach up with your arms and you can easily grab the riser to correct your heading in an instance where you may not have time to unzip.

Sure I can reach the base of my risers in a classic, but the original poster asked about control during line twists. I wouldn't reach up to fight line twists in a suit with thumb loops still on. In my aura, and I would assume most othe suits with a good escape sleeve design, I can reach up and and fly my entire canopy flight, and regularly do, without unzipping my arms. Definitely wouldn't donthat in my funk.

skow

When flying the funk, I have the thumb loop quite loose and "let it go" off my thumb before pitching. That way it's not in a way when reaching for risers / toggles.

Is it at all possible that your hacky could somehow entangle with the free loop? That would be a nightmare. I know I would never want to be blindly pushing a closed fabric loop toward my hacky in the sky.

I fly a Ghost 3 and do not use the thumb loops at all, but instead of letting them dangle free in loop shape, I roll them up tightly into a little tab shape and then wrap packing stows around them. I did the same on my P2 for hundreds of jumps and the bands never moved. A more permanent solution would be to remove them altogether.

Also, would a loose loop even do anything for you in flight?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

In my case I have it as loose as it gets, but i have to want to release it (by bending my thumb quite much). It's not that loose that it would accidentally slip off my thumb. So it is loose but it still works.

And for the second question. It never happened and I seriously doubt it ever will (although I might be wrong). The reason for it is that when you want to grab the PC, your palm is between the loop and the hackey, and will not allow for the loop to even touch the hackey.

The primary design function of thumb/ hand loops on suits is NOT to tension the wing during flight; it's to give you something to pull against when you are unzipping your arm wings post-deployment. This prevents zipper binding and allows for safer/quicker post-deployment procedures.

Chuck

SkymonkeyONE

The primary design function of thumb/ hand loops on suits is NOT to tension the wing during flight; it's to give you something to pull against when you are unzipping your arm wings post-deployment. This prevents zipper binding and allows for safer/quicker post-deployment procedures.

Chuck

Agreed, which is part of why I question wearing them if you're going to remove them just before deployment.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The111

***The primary design function of thumb/ hand loops on suits is NOT to tension the wing during flight; it's to give you something to pull against when you are unzipping your arm wings post-deployment. This prevents zipper binding and allows for safer/quicker post-deployment procedures.

Chuck

Agreed, which is part of why I question wearing them if you're going to remove them just before deployment.

I am pretty sure on some of the more recent acro suits it is to keep the sleeve from going up the arm in some flight transitions.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Never had problems with unzipping the arm wing on the funk without the loops and don't see the difference with and without them while unzipping. (e.g. aura doesn't have them and unzipping works just fine)

I did feel the difference though on Phantom2 because the wing is not that stiff and the zipper was pulling the wing instead of unzipping it when trying without the loop (or sometimes even with the loops)

So for me it IS for the tension the wing during the flight.

pazernaker

I'm flying a Piranha 2 and my technique has always been to unzip the zippers right after I pitch and make myself small. The goal for me is to have my hands/arms free before my canopy is over my head.

interesting but you can just reach your toggles in that suit without unzipping if you do not use the thumb loops
BASE 1519