roostnureye

black v2 with skull on back

Next time you sell a wingsuit, please get some background info on the buyer.
I just had a first time tandem student contact me for training on his newly purchased v2from.dz.com.>:(
I realize no experienced wingsuit pilot will buy this suit so you had to recoup cash somehow. But wtf man?
Now there is an idiot with zero experience and a wingsuit and youtube.
He was talking about taking it off a high dive (diving board) and trying to fly it in a hvac duct. This guy is no troll, he is serious.
I understand people buy wingsuits before they have the jump #'s, but one tandem???? Just ask a few simple questions, that's all.
I would have contacted the seller directly, but the newby would not give me the sellers info. I also tried to look up a cached version of the website.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

cares.

Let him play with it. I really doubt he's going to go huck it from his local E.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Im talking about ethics in life, wich is bigger than wingsuit selling.
If I was selling a hair dryer I wouldnt let Jarno buy it, and maybe I would tell him why he doesnt need it. Im talking about doing the right thing and not taking advantage of someone that doesnt know any better.
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Ethics go "some" way. Like a young wingsuiter wanting a suit way above his level. You can try to discourage and/or educate him

At this level (1 tandem, AFF, whatever supra low level), in the end I might be for a little Darwinism.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Perhaps we could just apply a basic code that if they have not got the jump numbers and appropriate experience you do not sell the suit. Not difficult really and selling to those who are unlikely to ever use or know what they are really buying is pretty low.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

So before selling their suit people should ask to see a logbook and call the DZ to see if the buyer meets the requirements? Sorry I don't see hat happening, not that I would be against it but seems highly unlikely. Besides if manufacturers don't do it why the fuck should we? Anyone can say they have so many jumps and buy a wingsuit... Anyone can forge a logbook.

Not difficult to talk to someone becomes very apparent very quickly if they have a clue what they are talking about. Not asking you to check log book. But a few simple questions like where do you jump what suits have you flown before what are you trying to achieve will reveal experience very quickly. Its really not that tough and yes they may bs you but generally its pretty obvious.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

At most busy dropzones and boogies, anyone with an A license can easily manifest on a load and then walk out to the loading area with the newest biggest ws without any question. We don't have gear police checking licenses and jump numbers before someone boards the plane. As a used gear seller, you may be the last person in position to prevent an idiot from becoming a fatality at a dz or going in at someone's local E while reenacting Jeb's latest youtube stunt. While I'm a big believer in Darwinism, DZ fatalities affect not just the deceased and their immediate family, but all the fun jumpers, staff, and the flow of potential tandem customers. Used gear sellers bear a moral responsibility to the skydiving community, not just the person they are selling the gear to. Personally, I'd like to see manufacturers register advanced gear (canopies, ws, base gear) to a buyer. If you sell a Vampire to a total wuffo/ newbee who goes in at my home dz, your ass should be held somewhat liable.

You can't (and shouldn't, and shouldn't even want to) always protect people from themselves. If someone is determined enough they will find a way to kill themselves.

Exercising common-sense ethics and asking questions to potential buyers is reasonable and good practice, so we agree there. But registering gear to people (akin to handguns) is a ridiculous idea. Unless you live in the USSR. Maybe I should have asked first. Do you live in 1980's Moscow?
Apex BASE

At most DZ's I've been to, the local WSers are quick to come and at least have a chat with and probably want to fly with you. At the DZ's without much of a WS scene everyone is crazy cautious about what you're doing and how you're doing it!

A wingsuit is just a wingsuit. People will continue to be interested in them and may want to purchase older/cheap suits as a motivator for themselves to get into it properly, as a costume, as a research tool, or just to keep it on their sofa to impress unsuspecting (and unfortunate) girls on a Saturday night.

If they want to use it they are going to need a sky or base rig anyway and I honestly think there's enough 'ethics' in place already for selling that gear that anything more is not necessary.

I'd be more worried about a new WSer getting their hands on a monster suit prematurely (or being given the hard sell on one unfairly) than a non-jumper buying old, ragged-out equipment...

KatieCat

At most busy dropzones and boogies, anyone with an A license can easily manifest on a load and then walk out to the loading area with the newest biggest ws without any question. We don't have gear police checking licenses and jump numbers before someone boards the plane.

Not true at most major dropzones. Positively not true at any of the last four I've worked/jumped at. If this DOES happen at your dropzone then you might ought to establish procedures to prevent it.