sdctlc

New Canadian Wingsuit Record

I was privileged to organize the newly set Canadian Wingsuit Record last weekend at Parachute Montreal. We set the record with a great group of 26 jumpers. The formation looked FANTASTIC and broke the existing record of 9 set last year.. A big Congratulations to everyone involved. :)
A lot of work before went in from Ulysse and Marc to get the word out and run a number of camps at various locations, including Parachute Montreal. Mario, Donald and the entire staff was incredibly supportive of the jumps and offered an awesome environment. Gilaad did a awesome job as well running the support group and getting everyone in the air all weekend! This was truly a Canadian Record as jumpers traveled from all over the country to support the effort.

Thanks and great Job everyone and I will look forward to flying with you again....

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Congrats on the record. Very cool.

Next time, please get someone who can actually fly camera well to capture the beauty of the formation, maybe someone who can carve around the formation. It's sad to see a record not captured well on camera.

B52

Next time, please get someone who can actually fly camera well to capture the beauty of the formation, maybe someone who can carve around the formation. It's sad to see a record not captured well on camera.

I have to agree here, Scott C. obviously can't fly for shit and knows f*ck all about record judging photography. Next time we will have Amazon drones

B52

To get a properly grid-able shot you need someone who is flying a consistent, static position. Carving makes for good photos but not if you are trying to put a grid on it. Personally I get bored as Hell when I'm filming grid formations for just that reason, but unless you are willing to sacrifice another seat on the planes for an additional camera dork, it's better/safer/more reliable to fly static until you get "the shot". The problem is that you never really know on any given jump if you've got a record-compliant formation until you land and put it on Photoshop...
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

B52

To clarify. I am not referring to the camera guy who makes sure the grid works.
I am referring to the video you posted. Big flocks look amazing, so why not get someone in addition who can capture it nicely?

Often, because that's an additional jumper who could be in the formation and many organizers (not Callantine or Gilaad, mind you) have the opinion that bigger is better. If you have an Otter that fits 21, you can get 19 with 2 camera or 20 with 1 camera. People often opt for the latter.

Edited to add: Don't get me wrong - I agree with you. Dynamic shots look nicer.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork