Absolut

Turn dbag

Hey guys, i've just recently seen a picture of a Rigger where he complained about a main packjob where the dbag was turned around, instead of turning it with the grommet up or to the top of the rig, it was turned downward. This gave me an idea: why not do this for wingsuiting? When we pull the dbag gets pulled back-upwards, why don't we already bring it in a position close to this one, by that i mean pack it with the grommet downward, instead of one where it first has to flip over and has more potential to cause line twists? Of course this requires your rig to have low corners at the bottom, otherwise the PC will just pull the dbag further inside those corners. What do you think about this technique? I've never tried it myself.

Cheers for any idea!

with my old Mirage G4 i would do this everytime. I had much smoother deployments. with my new rig, a mirage G3, i rotate the bag so that it fits the shape of the container better. There are no problems with not rotating, in fact, i like the fact that you're not rotating your lines over other lines. YMMV
IHYD

Jbag

There are no problems with not rotating

To make discussion easier (grommet being the bridle grommet on dbag):
Regular bag rotation while packing is called "grommet to reserve tray"
"Not rotating" as you describe above is called "grommet to BOC"
Also there is "grommet to pin" where you only rotate the bag 90 degrees (and smash it to make it fit)

If you search on those terms you'll find tons of discussion on this from a decade ago.

More to the point, there is a problem with grommet to BOC packing style on some rigs. If the rig has hard corners, they resist bag motion in the BOC direction, and when the bridle pulls from the reserve side, the resistance causes the bag to rotate (CCW in the image below) as it comes off your back. This rotation is part of the design of the rig, I've discussed it with more than one H/C designer.

If the bag is packed grommet to BOC (not pictured, but you can imagine), when bridle pulls from BOC direction it is just pull the bag even harder into these corners, without the lever arm that it normally gets to initiate rotation. This leads to hesitation for bag to leave container, best case the bag breaks free and spins into twists since it probably leaves unevenly, worst case you get PC in tow. This is why most people who pack this way get the "dynamic corners" or "cut corners" (search either of those phrases) mod done on their rigs. However, none of that is necessary at all. Put a long bridle on any normal rig, pack normally, deploy right, and your opening will be fine, guaranteed. :)
[inline deployment.jpg]
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Thanks a lot for your input. That was exactly the thought i had with the corners. With a normal rig they would block the dbag from getting pulled out and cause even worse openings. But since they are quite a low cut on my rig when opened, it might be worth giving it a try. Although i agree that with a normal packjob (grommet to reserve tray) and a stable deployment you should have a good opening. It was just a thought i had.