splat123

Flysight beta update for voice glide ratio

Hi, better start by saying I'm a complete 'puter retard':$
trying to download new beta update for flysight voice glide ratio. Have managed download zip file & flip 3.4.7 but keep getting error 43 ?
I cycle the on off switch 3 times but cannot seem to update drivers to recognise flysight in usb.
Windows 8 & moron operating, any ideas [:/]

splat123

Hi, better start by saying I'm a complete 'puter retard':$
trying to download new beta update for flysight voice glide ratio. Have managed download zip file & flip 3.4.7 but keep getting error 43 ?
I cycle the on off switch 3 times but cannot seem to update drivers to recognise flysight in usb.
Windows 8 & moron operating, any ideas [:/]

Not pretending I have a solution but just trying to understand. The error 43 comes from Flip when you try to use Flip to program the Flysight?
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Alas, Windows 8 doesn't work with the firmware update. As it turns out, there's a bug in the Atmel bootloader (a bit of code that ships with the processor and is responsible for firmware update) that incorrectly identifies the interface as "USB 20.0" instead of "USB 2.00". Windows XP, Windows 7 and Mac don't seem to notice, but Windows 8 won't recognized the device.

We're working on a resolution, but it will certainly require that the FlySight be reprogrammed with a hardware programmer--something that can't be done in the field. In the meantime, if you can find a Windows XP/7 or Mac machine, you should be able to update without issues.

Michael

kallend

(why is it secret?)

Hey!
Do you want to be in or out?!

I don't know..
But I guess there is a reason why there is no compiled version of this beta software on the site.
You would have to ask Michael about that. But I guess it's because he is not sure it works on all versions of hardware the Flysight has had.

I see if I can send it to you too. At work now with my phone.

EDIT: nope. I thought I could forward the message but it's not an option on the forum PM.

dthames

******PM

Could you PM me too?
(why is it secret?)
Is this what you are looking for?
http://flysight.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Firmware_upgrade
It has talking firmware you can download.
I believe those are still the old beta's at the moment.

Could someone PM me too?

lyosha

Does Flysight have breakoff alerts? If not, could those be a possible future feature? ;)

In the latest beta I've seen, there are 'audible alarms', which you can set manually. ***note: the alarms are 'Above Sea Level', not necessarily 'Above Ground Level'.***
"The 'perfect' parachute jump was thought to be one where the opening shock and touchdown were simultaneous" -Lyle Cameron, ~1965
---
Falling-With-Style.com

Yorick

*********PM

Could you PM me too?
(why is it secret?)
Is this what you are looking for?
It has talking firmware you can download.
I believe those are still the old beta's at the moment.

Could someone PM me too?

lyosha

Does Flysight have breakoff alerts? If not, could those be a possible future feature? ;)

In the latest beta I've seen, there are 'audible alarms', which you can set manually. ***note: the alarms are 'Above Sea Level', not necessarily 'Above Ground Level'.***

The posted 4 Mar 2014 "stable beta" had the Above Sea Level alarm.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Keep in mind this is probably not a stable version as it is not on the page.
It works fine on both of my FlySights, one beeing in the lower 400 serial, and one beeing in the lower 1500 (10 hz compatible).

Michael sent me this file in mid june, and as I said it works on both of my FlySights. YMMV!

***Ah… I think the problem may be that you’re using the beta version from the wiki. Is that right?

I’ve made some changes to the beta version to make it possible to log at 10 Hz while also playing audio, but wanted to make sure those changes were working reasonably well before updating the version on the wiki. So far, everything is looking pretty good. In the next couple of days I’m hoping to do a little more testing and then will be updating the version on the wiki.

In the meantime, I’ve attached a copy of the latest working version. Note that the audio files have changed (the rate has been reduced, but you shouldn’t notice any significant change in quality), so you’ll need to copy over the new audio folder from the attachment as well.

Michael

ETA: I have not got the 'audible alarm' to work on either of my FlySights.
Could be operator error though....

Hi All--

Sorry I haven't been around. The beta version on the website hasn't been updated for a while because we've been working on a glitch in the original beta--it would occasionally produce a corrupt CSV file where the next line started before the previous one was done writing.

I've attached the latest beta version here, which fixes that issue.

There is one more issue I'm working on right now... If you're logging at 10 Hz, with this version you'll occasionally see missing data points. You shouldn't have any problems if you're logging at 5 Hz. I've been putting off updating the beta version on the wiki until I get that taken care of, but there seems to be a lot of interest here in an update of some sort, so I thought I'd upload what I've got.

The procedure to update using this file is the same as usual:

Be sure to copy the updated "audio" folder included in the zip file onto your FlySight. Otherwise, you might find the speech a little... odd sounding.

A couple more points worth mentioning... There is a bug in the Atmel processor which makes it impossible to update the FlySight with a Windows 8 machine. The problem can, in principle, be fixed using a hardware programmer (something you would have to send your FlySight in for), but I haven't got that worked out yet. In the meantime, Windows 8 users will need to find a Windows XP/7 machine for the update. Mac users are fine.

I'm hoping to have the last glitch taken care of in the next week or two, and then I'll update one more "beta" version to the wiki. I'll let you all know when it's there just in case you want to hold off a few more days.

:)

lyosha

The beta version does have elevation alarms, but I would be cautious about depending on them for break-off. There are a couple of issues I see at the moment:

• Because the FlySight doesn't know where the ground is, you'll need to update your alarms when you move from one DZ to another. When you forget to do this--because eventually you will--you won't hear the alarm as expected.

• If you lose GPS signal, run out of battery, or if the earphone falls out of your ear in freefall, then you may not hear an alarm. All of these things are less likely with something like an audible altimeter, which doesn't require a sensitive GPS signal for its measurements, has a long-lasting battery, and requires no earphone to be audible.

Neither of these is an issue for non-critical alarms, but for these reasons the elevation alarm feature should not be used for anything where safety of life is a concern.

Michael

Speaking of bugs..
When I'm using 5 hz mode I have noticed that the time sometimes rolls back.
Don't know if this issue is only 5 hz or general.

Time column can look lik:

10:00:05.20
10:00:05.40
10:00:04.00
10:00:04.20

Etc.

As if the clock is running fast and it needs to correct itself during the logging.

We have some "airplane" issues, and I have not been able to jump for a while.

The bug was last known with the previous stable version of the FlySight software.
Don't know if it still happens.

It's not on every jump. But it has happened a few times for me.
It has not happened yet to my new FlySight.
But ave not used it much

; Firmware version 20111016

; GPS settings

Model: 6 ; Dynamic model
; 0 = Portable
; 2 = Stationary
; 3 = Pedestrian
; 4 = Automotive
; 5 = Sea
; 6 = Airborne with < 1 G acceleration
; 7 = Airborne with < 2 G acceleration
; 8 = Airborne with < 4 G acceleration
Rate: 200 ; Measurement rate (ms)

; Tone settings

Mode: 2 ; Measurement mode
; 0 = Horizontal speed
; 1 = Vertical speed
; 2 = Glide ratio
; 3 = Inverse glide ratio
; 4 = Total speed
Min: 0 ; Lowest pitch value
; cm/s in Mode 0, 1, or 4
; ratio * 100 in Mode 2 or 3
Max: 300 ; Highest pitch value
; cm/s in Mode 0, 1, or 4
; ratio * 100 in Mode 2 or 3
Chirp: 0 ; Chirp when outside bounds
; 0 = No
; 1 = Yes
Volume: 7 ; 0 (min) to 8 (max)

; Thresholds

V_Thresh: 1000 ; Minimum vertical speed for tone (cm/s)
H_Thresh: 0 ; Minimum horizontal speed for tone (cm/s)

; Miscellaneous

Use_SAS: 1 ; Use skydiver's airspeed
; 0 = No
; 1 = Yes
Sp_Mode: 1 ; Vertical speed.
Sp_Units: 0 ; 1=mph 0=km/h
Sp_Rate: 10 ; Speech rate (s)
Sp_Dec: 0 ; Decimal places for speech