theshortbus

Big suit emergency pull technice

I heared an interesting technice for energency deployment, but have not tested it myself.

The idea is, if you cant recover from a bad wipe out/spinn/tumble, that you can; Ball up/collapse wings, fall on your back and stream legs and arms after you and pitching in this position.

To me it sounds like a reasonable out if everything goes pear shaped but i really dont know.

Anyone tried/had to do this in a big suit? And does it actually work?
Party ´til impact!

Never needed it had about 3 mega spins over the years, all recoverable with arch or wing collapse and return to flight. I would be very wary unless all other options are gone of deploying in a back to earth head down or heavily angled attitude, lines and feet etc not a good combination. So would stick to what works unless you have zero option and at your personal hard deck.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

Yeah, this would be as a last resort. In that manner it sounded like a reasonable option. Hope I never need it though. But always good to have all angles covered. At least, falling flat, back to earth, the pilot, bridle, and eventually packjob, should slide off the side. Agree that a steep angel is bad news here though.
Party ´til impact!

Sorry but the entire idea is nonsense.

If you have the ability to control the suit in any way, then fly and deploy as intended. To somebody who is tumbling out of control, I am not sure why your weird upside down streamer position is supposed to somehow be more achievable than normal flight position. Out of control is out of control.

If you don't have the ability to control the suit, then pitch before you die (first jump priorities from AFF and all that). And stop jumping suits you don't know how to control. ;)

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

in reply to " I heared an interesting technice for energency deployment, but have not tested it myself.

The idea is, if you cant recover from a bad wipe out/spinn/tumble, that you can; Ball up/collapse wings, fall on your back and stream legs and arms after you and pitching in this position.

To me it sounds like a reasonable out if everything goes pear shaped but i really dont know.

Anyone tried/had to do this in a big suit? And does it actually work? "

In that situation if it really is unrecoverable for you and you can't deploy your main ?
You are in an emergency situation
its simple really , don't panic ......go silver... and get ready to deal with reserve line twists.

Trae

in reply to " I heared an interesting technice for energency deployment, but have not tested it myself.

Anyone tried/had to do this in a big suit? And does it actually work? "

In that situation if it really is unrecoverable for you and you can't deploy your main ?
You are in an emergency situation
its simple really , don't panic ......go silver... and get ready to deal with reserve line twists.

Most things skydiving are a challenge for me, including wingsuit flight. So, I am not saying have a have better than average skills. But as Matt said, just fly the thing. It is very, very hard to spin if the top of your head is pointed to mother earth. Anytime I have a tumble, head down, counter rotation (on heading), and level out. It works way better than "spinning out of control".
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

The111

If you have the ability to control the suit in any way, then fly and deploy as intended. To somebody who is tumbling out of control, I am not sure why your weird upside down streamer position is supposed to somehow be more achievable than normal flight position. Out of control is out of control.

If you don't have the ability to control the suit, then pitch before you die (first jump priorities from AFF and all that). And stop jumping suits you don't know how to control. ;)

I may make myself look bad in some way by posting this video but I have run into a few people that want to fly wingsuits but are scared of what they hear about spins and control problems. This post is to encourage those flyers.

While not the worst student, every aspect of skydiving related to control (except canopy flight ) seems to give me problems at the start. My first wingsuit flight contained moments of head down, rotating “flight”, and made me motion sick. I get motion sickness easily and so acrobatics of any kind is not what I do.

This video is a collection of bad exits and loss of control over my wingsuit history. I have always stayed within what Tonysuits recommends as minimum jump numbers, but still things happen, at times. At least once, on each suit that I have ever jumped, I have had one or more instance(s) of control problems. Part of it comes from being too tired, to relaxed, or not focusing properly on the task at hand. But when things get sideways, I apply what I know and get the suit back under control quickly (mostly of the time) and without getting excited. Fly the suit!

Respect the suit and what you are doing, YES. But worry of control problems should not create fear and restrict involvement in the wingsuit discipline.

http://youtu.be/FsEaUPFhbA0
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Thanks for posting this video, hopefully you dont get destroyed too much. If youre having this problem consistently, I would think that your exit might be a little on the asymmetric side. Do you happen to remember which suits you were flying in these?

I have always stayed within what Tonysuits recommends as minimum jump numbers, but still things happen, at times.

compared to other companies the progression on the tony page is pretty agressive.... learn to control a small phantom class suit for the first few hundred jumps then you don't get problems on bigger suits...

i also bought a havok after ~50 ws jumps... but after 10 jumps on it i put it back in the closet and did another 200 jumps on my shadow....

verdi

I have always stayed within what Tonysuits recommends as minimum jump numbers, but still things happen, at times.

compared to other companies the progression on the tony page is pretty agressive.... learn to control a small phantom class suit for the first few hundred jumps then you don't get problems on bigger suits...

i also bought a havok after ~50 ws jumps... but after 10 jumps on it i put it back in the closet and did another 200 jumps on my shadow....

The appropriate suit is important but it is just as important to get coaching which will of course also guide you on suit selection.

When I first switched to an R Bird I had a perfect spin on every exit. A coach only had to watch a video to correct that for me. That's when I understood the power of coaching in the wingsuit world.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

yes of course! not only doing solo jumps to get the numbers for big suits but take good 1on1 coaching and train the basics on 2 ways with your friends.

yes coaching is expensive but 5 coaching jumps teach you more than 50 solo jumps...

The111

This is absolute truth. Your three pull priorities remain the same:

1: I MUST pull
2: I NEED to pull at the correct altitude no matter what my orientation
3: I would LOVE to pull at the correct altitude in the correct body position

I was an AFF, Tandem, and Static Line instructor with over 1500 jumps when I made my first WS jump in 1999. When I became a BMI right after that I made it a point to emphasize those three basic rules in my FJC.

What we are experiencing here is a systemic problem, just like in canopy downsizing, where people are in the HUGE race to jump massive suits. People unwilling to spend the time getting super-proficient in mid-sized suits and learning the skills (aerobatics, backflying, docking, poop exits) which will prevent such incidents once they "supersize" for whatever reason. I see it ALL THE TIME at EVERY dropzone where there isn't a core group of local wingsuiters who fly together often. There are way too many people out there trying to be teh Lone Ranger and figure it out for themselves; too bad. I think it is a horrible idea for a person to do WS solos, then strap on a big suit without being vetted, trained, or coached by super-experienced WS instructors/coaches on advanced skills.

Chuck Blue
PFC/E (among other things)