kallend

What is your normal pull altitude?

I thought this was a more appropriate place than the Incidents Forum to find out at what altitude "most" wingsuiters generally pull.

Please restrict to your normal pull altitude, not extremes or when demoing a new suit or canopy. Also this is for a skydive, not WS BASE.

Europeans and other enlightened folks, I'm sure you can handle the unit conversion from ft to m.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Lowest comfortable is 0.192 leagues, usually closer to 0.22 leagues (for those of you who don't like Imperial units, that's 716 Smoots).
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Skwrl

Lowest comfortable is 0.192 leagues, usually closer to 0.22 leagues (for those of you who don't like Imperial units, that's 716 Smoots).

Still awaiting cubits, angstroms, parsecs, light years, rods, poles, perches, chains, roods, ells, AUs, barleycorns, Planck Lengths, links...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***Lowest comfortable is 0.192 leagues, usually closer to 0.22 leagues (for those of you who don't like Imperial units, that's 716 Smoots).

Still awaiting cubits, angstroms, parsecs, light years, rods, poles, perches, chains, roods, ells, AUs, barleycorns, Planck Lengths, links...

Convert to your hearts content!!! http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/length/

1 Find your unit.
2 Type your value next to it.
3 Touch "Convert Me" and get all conversions.

;)

Scott C.

Wingsuiting probably had me pulling lower than I'd pull if I didn't do wingsuiting. Primary reasons where the slower fall rate made it seem like I had a lot more time, sometimes I'd be chasing canopies or clouds and need to go lower to clear or get to them, and wingsuiting also kept me in a more docile canopy which gave me a bit of complacency in regards to dealing with issues on it.

A wingsuit jump going below 3k didn't really phase me all that much. I just tried to not make it into a habit. But the idea of a freefly jump down to 3k with a highly loaded elliptical? The idea would just seem crazy to me.

In some ways the complacency was legit. Starting deployment with a 40mph fall rate under a lightly loaded square has it's benefits. But I'm sure there are many mals which just don't care about your fall rate or how lightly loaded you are and an extra 1k of altitude makes all the difference.

MarkM

Starting deployment with a 40mph fall rate under a lightly loaded square has it's benefits.

I know you know this, but just for clarification: it's the high forward speed (not the low verticsal speed) that makes your deployment happen in less vertical distance (leading to the illusion of lower pulls being acceptable). Low deployment speed in my experience makes deployments weirder and definitely not faster.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

kallend

I thought this was a more appropriate place than the Incidents Forum to find out at what altitude "most" wingsuiters generally pull.

Please restrict to your normal pull altitude, not extremes or when demoing a new suit or canopy. Also this is for a skydive, not WS BASE.

Europeans and other enlightened folks, I'm sure you can handle the unit conversion from ft to m.

This poll has already been done numerous times ... :|
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

That may be true, but what is considered acceptable does change (and therefore so should the poll). It is timely too.

You may not know, but the British Parachute Association has just raised the minimum opening requirement by 500ft. So it is now 2,500ft by which one needs a fully open main here and not 2,000ft for all skydiving disciplines. For most modern canopies, this means deploying by a minimum height of 3,300-3,500ft anyway.

Interestingly, given wingsuit flights are quite long - especially with modern suits - any "need" to deploy low should have been negated. I've only pulled on the low side during big-ways where collision avoidance was also a concern, but never below 2,500ft (or 4.7147652 × 10^37 Planck lengths for Prof. Kallend ;):P).

Richard

--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13