Slater

Havok Carve or Squirrel Funk?

I doubt anyone has both yet. I suspect most responses will be people who tried one or the other and are partisan.

I have a Carve and a Funk on order. I'll post unbaised reviews of both when I get them. (I violated my own rule of "try before you buy" with both suits.)
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I am one of the lucky ones to have had a Carve for 8 weeks or so but I think the other guy's here are right. Not many out there yet, even less of the Funk I would expect. Not to mention the chances of someone having flown BOTH are slim to none at this point in the game. That being said, all I can give an opinion on is the Carve (around 50 jumps on it I think?).

Gonna fly with a friend who has a ordered a Funk, which should arrive soon. We're about the same size so we'll be switching suits, because we both want to see what the other suit can do. Will get back to you if I don't forget.

Blues!
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

Jbag

If I was buying right now, today, with as much knowledge as you have...I would go with the Funk due to the SHORT lead times and amazing CS!

You'd buy a suit based on lead times and customer service? Strange priorities...

I can't comment on the Funk but actually have the original Havok (1st one ever made at that!) and it is such a pleasure to fly. Except a carve, I don't think I'll ever order another suit for flocks/aeros/load organising jumps, and have never heard anyone say anything short of how incredibly easy it is to fly on it's back (and not only easy - but with great performance). Can't recommend it enough, and the carve being already an improvement on this...

Probably the best acro pilot is involved in the design of the Carve and PF has the most experience in this suit segment.
Other manufacturers were probably ahead in the bigger suit market (although it mostly comes down to preference anyways). When it comes to an advanced acro suit like the Carve however, no other suit comes even close. Inlet position/design, wing thickness/pressure, tightness around the body,...
I am sure Squirrel will catch up with version 2 and if they include an experienced ws acro pilot who gives them the necessary feedback.

B52

no other suit comes even close. Inlet position/design, wing thickness/pressure, tightness around the body,....

...Have you seen a funk, or anyone fly one. Let me know what I cant do in a funk that people can do in a carve. Id be interested to know what your definition of "not even close" is.

Skwrl and myself will have both suits in a few weeks. Perhaps we would/could bring some objectivity into the discussion, instead of all this nonsense "I think that this suit is better than that suit because, well because I think it is..." :P It's gonna be interesting to see how they compare

Until people who have flown both and are experienced in acro this is a pretty pointless poll. People will fall on the suit they have picked or any brand allegiance they already have hence my point that this poll is pointless.

From the footage I have seen they both look like very capable suits. Knowing that virtually no one has both suits I do wonder why anyone would post one of these polls ?
Dont just talk about it, Do it!
  • Like 1

I have flown both and I don't really care about brands. I have more Squirrel products than PF.
I can't wait to see your video of snaprolls and carving around a rodeo in a Funk. Please post it once you have it ;)

He would probably, but never as clean and that's where the design of the suit matters. As said before most experienced WS Acro pilots will tell you that the wings are too stiff, the leading edge too soft, putting tension on the trailing arm edge is not really possible...this matters if you want to carve around formations, fly clean..so it probably does not matter for most pilots, but if you look at the Funk as an acro suit, it definitely does. That's why I am saying the suit is not close. I am sure Squirrel will get there with the Funk as they listen. This again is not about brands it's just my experience with the suits.

...Have you seen a funk, or anyone fly one. Let me know what I cant do in a funk that people can do in a carve.

I have and it does not look like comp material. So when's your video coming?

verticalflyer

Until people who have flown both and are experienced in acro this is a pretty pointless poll. People will fall on the suit they have picked or any brand allegiance they already have hence my point that this poll is pointless.

From the footage I have seen they both look like very capable suits. Knowing that virtually no one has both suits I do wonder why anyone would post one of these polls ?

Cause I knowed not how many is out there til I post poll!

And now some info coming in is, and good to know what people is think about when choose and rate. Help me much, thanks everyone so far!

Slater
McConkey es Dios

hjumper33

But you imply that its the suit doing that. I think if you threw jarno in a funk, hed do just fine. Hell if you put him in a classic hed probably fly the same way.

Thats why you write about acrobatics, and I and my teammates teach, practice and assist in designing suits that do so based on over 10k jumps acro wingsuit experience. Its fun reading all the sassy comment online, but in the real world there's certain aspects to design where everyone who activly practices and understands acrobatics notices the huge differences. There in both pictures and video its quite clear why certain suits fly the way they do, and certain suits cant do the things they advertise in terms of sharp flying and accurate carving moves. Ymmv.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

But how can you have sharp and accurate moves without fins??? :)

Im sure someone much better than me will post some nice video at some point. The fact that I could backfly and carve around people on the first 2 jumps on a suit after honestly not back flying or doing acro since probably 2008 was a very nice suprise. I guess I would have had a better experience on a carve somehow.

My real goal is to do more than 20 skydives this year and to have a ton of fun playing around in this suit in the sky, regardless of its complete inferiority in every way to the carve :)

So i guess to go back to the original poster's question, if you are a super high level acro flier with 1000s of acro jumps, you should probably get a carve. If you are a weekend warrior and like to backfly and play around with friends in a super easy to fly suit, and dont want to wait 6-8 months for a suit, get a funk.

Judging what I see on the 50+ dropzones I visited worldwide the last few months (US and Canada included), the group photos can also be labeled 'Havok Fanclub' meetings. Regardless if its 80 or 1000 skydives in a wingsuit, sharp flying is something anyone who has a feel for flying recognizes. And there the Carve (as well as original Havok) shines. But perhaps in your world of 20 skydives a year it all looks different.

If the original poster wants expert advise from someone who teaches and flies acro with everyone from beginner to advanced flying, get a carve. It will be the best suit you can ever fly (or get an Sfly Hawk, similar great suit). Both great 'high power' acro suits.
If not interested, Hjumper sounds like a swell guy to listen to.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?
  • Like 1

hjumper33

But how can you have sharp and accurate moves without fins??? :)

Of all wingsuits produced the last 15 years it is pretty much only the V5 that doesn't have any fin-like shape at the bottom of the suit. On all other suits the feet of the jumper sticks down doing the same as the fins does.

I know you asked the question as a joke, but lots of inexperienced jumpers watch this and wonder the same thing.

-Jo Henrik

Like JoHenrik sais

The V5, V-Race and Venom Power show an eliminated bootie design. Meaning the legwing is one slick surface, with no 2 big chucks of drag inducing foot hanging underneath the airframe. Meaning cleaner airflow as well as better performance (without increased span or surface area).

But the booties also added a small degree of stability, which is what the fins do. But actually doing so way beyond the function of the normal bootie. Creating a suit that flies like its on rails, both in turns as well as straight flying.

But much like ram-air inlets, lightweight fabric and many other features robert was first to pioneer, I guess its not worth saying anything positive about until ones brand of favor copied it and called it innovative...

Im back to my popcorn and flying..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?