vitriol

This might change a few things: Epicene wingsuit canopy

i fly a sabre 1, and no intentions to change that but i see more people going to 7 cells than ever....i fucking hate the snively skydiving 7 cells on the market, but if i were to get a 7 cell it would be the epicene because it isn't a typical skydiving 7 cell.

THAT SAID

icarus is deveoloping a 5 cell cross braced canopy for wingsuting and I've been trying to get my hands on one. i know there is a demo floating around. send ICARUS emails people, let them know you want a sporty yet square ws canopy. I've been trying to get one of my own for a while now. ill be more than happy to fork over 2000 for one...my $300 sabers with "less than 500 jumps" tend to blow or need a line set asap. been through a few of those.

Should have mine in a couple weeks. My container fits a 120 max and my sabre 120 is a bit small for gigantic suits. I can make it work, but the opening is the scariest part of the jump for sure, and I look forward to making that change. I agree that theres nothing wrong with a sabre 1, and this is definitely a niche canopy, but Im in that niche.

flipwithit

icarus is deveoloping a 5 cell cross braced canopy for wingsuting and I've been trying to get my hands on one. i know there is a demo floating around. send ICARUS emails people, let them know you want a sporty yet square ws canopy. I've been trying to get one of my own for a while now. ill be more than happy to fork over 2000 for one...my $300 sabers with "less than 500 jumps" tend to blow or need a line set asap. been through a few of those.

are you thinking of the Matrix 2? that is a 5cell cross braced canopy for crw.

flipwithit

I think it's actually NZ Aerosports' Matrix 2 you're thinking of. I contacted them a little over a year ago and they said they were starting to test a version of it for wingsuits.
Brian

flipwithit

The 2 prototypes that are out floating around northern California might take some cues from the matrix but all I can say is that they are very much considering further development of those prototypes if enough interest is generated.

I hear x-brace have opening character not good for wingsuit or BASE, yes?

Is true or not?

Slater
McConkey es Dios

Most xbrace canopies (jvx, jfx, velo, xaos, etc) are a high performance design and the cross bracing makes a more rigid wing so it can be loaded higher. This 5 cell xbrace is very square (think sabre 1 square) so it won't have the tendency to take off like an elliptical but can be loaded higher and still fun to fly!

Slater

***The 2 prototypes that are out floating around northern California might take some cues from the matrix but all I can say is that they are very much considering further development of those prototypes if enough interest is generated.

I hear x-brace have opening character not good for wingsuit or BASE, yes?

Is true or not?

Slater

Opening characteristics are most likely determined by planform, not bracing.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

hjumper33

I got a 150, should fit nicely into my container for a 120.

I'm quite surprised to hear a cross braced packs up smaller then a non cross braced but I guess it's 5 cell versus 9 cell is that right?
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Oops my bad.:$ but I am curious to know how large this crossbraced 5 cell would pack. I wonder if that is why icarus went with a 5 cell rather than a 7 cell. Strictly to reduce the pack volume ?

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I think the use of ultralight material in all these canopies is the most important part to the pack volume. Its been almost a whole week since my order was officially placed so im a little disappointed in squirrels turnaround time. I might have to wait another 2-3 weeks!!! Bullshit

Beal, dont you have a war you should be fighting? :ph34r:

keithbar

Oops my bad.:$ but I am curious to know how large this crossbraced 5 cell would pack. I wonder if that is why icarus went with a 5 cell rather than a 7 cell. Strictly to reduce the pack volume ?

"7/21 cell" cross braced flies like a 9 cell, but less drag from lines.
I guess "5/15 cell" would fly like a 7 cell. Someone also stated that would be a low aspect ratio platform which also could be better for openings.