Greig474

Poll: Best opening canopy for wing suiting

yup, i know theres no best, its subjective and theres loads of other variables etc. Just interested to know what comes most recommended for openings by the most people. Almost all the canopies i heard were good for wing suiting (listed what i could think of above) are canopies I haven't jumped.

Also if anyone can point out which canopies are better or worse for making it back from long spots i would be grateful. Thanks everyone

Knowing how to fly the rears, the brakes, what the winds are doing, and knowing that you might need to open a bit higher help me a lot. I am also very lightly loaded and can get back on my Pilot when many others can't. I have only flown a Pilot since getting my license so I can't say it is better. But I like it.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Love my Storm, got it when I got sick of my Sabre2 spinning up on me. Openings are nice and soft, never any surprises and it has only spun up on me 3 times (2 of those were weak pulls) in the last 200 jumps. It does fly steep though so you need to know when to open a bit higher or pick your out early. A good plan on the ground will usually result in a good spot under canopy so I am not usually worried about landing out. I usually fly it with my hands closer to my shoulders to give it a bit of a flatter glide.

I psychopack my safire2 in order to expose the centercell so I can shave off feets of the snivel, and I always dump in full flight... The mad thing is still snivelling to much for my taste >:(

Don't get me wrong it's a great and fun canopy to fly, but I'm definetly going for sabre 1 in nearest feature!!! ;)

You need to post your definition of "best". I've got over 2000 WS jumps on a Sabre2 97 loaded at 1.8 and I've only chopped it once. I put about 800 before that on a Cobalt and only chopped it once. Personally, anything that opens straight the vast majority of the time and one that will fly straight in linetwists is suitable. There is positively nothing wrong (and many things right) with old, original Sabres that you can buy used for like three hundred bucks. I've got Storm 120's in my work rigs now and love them.

Chuck

Fronius

I psychopack my safire2 in order to expose the centercell so I can shave off feets of the snivel, and I always dump in full flight... The mad thing is still snivelling to much for my taste >:(

Don't get me wrong it's a great and fun canopy to fly, but I'm definetly going for sabre 1 in nearest feature!!! ;)

I think Icarus canopies are engineered for softer openings with a longer snivel. Not 100% sure though.
IHYD

SkymonkeyONE

You need to post your definition of "best". I've got over 2000 WS jumps on a Sabre2 97 loaded at 1.8 and I've only chopped it once. I put about 800 before that on a Cobalt and only chopped it once. Personally, anything that opens straight the vast majority of the time and one that will fly straight in linetwists is suitable. There is positively nothing wrong (and many things right) with old, original Sabres that you can buy used for like three hundred bucks. I've got Storm 120's in my work rigs now and love them.

Chuck

on heading, comfortable, no twists or other potential mals, stays flying straight if in line twists i guess

My vote goes for a Storm..
Currently using my Spectre 120 (and before that a Sabre2 135), which I love to fly, but somehow I just love the Storm (only used a 135 for ws twice and logged around 100 jumps on a CF Storm 97), but really enjoy the way it flies and opens.. So when my Spectre needs to retire I'll order a Storm if nothing better shows up in the mean time..
If everything seems under control.. You're just not going fast enough..!

Let me just put one thing out there in regards to Storms as related to wingsuiting (and general flight): The brakes are set QUITE deep on Storms and once released the canopy dives QUITE steep. That's great right up to the point that you have a brake-fire. The resulting turn needs to be dealt with VERY fast (opposite rear riser) to avoid a chop as compared to the action needed to fix one under a Sabre2 or Spectre.

SkymonkeyONE

Let me just put one thing out there in regards to Storms as related to wingsuiting (and general flight): The brakes are set QUITE deep on Storms and once released the canopy dives QUITE steep. That's great right up to the point that you have a brake-fire. The resulting turn needs to be dealt with VERY fast (opposite rear riser) to avoid a chop as compared to the action needed to fix one under a Sabre2 or Spectre.

Storm owner. Can confirm and corroborate Chuck's comment.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I can also confirm the brakes are quite deep, but can't confirm the brake fire because I've only put 800 jumps on the canopy and the closest opening issue I've had is half a line twist one time, and it sometimes opens so soft the slider hangs up.
Brian

It's all subjective but for me it's the Pilot. My Pilot140 has always opened on heading without line twists and no drama. I also have high praise for my Optimum Reserve when I had the suit wing blow up over my hackey and couldn't clear it. The Optimum opened quick but not hard and on heading.

mccordia

So far Ive done 2500 wingsuit jumps on my Storm, and haven't had any issue with linetwists or cutaways. Super happy with the on-heading performance during openings.

Pretty much the same. Loving my Storms, and have jumped all the larger sizes.

SkymonkeyONE

The brakes are set QUITE deep on Storms and once released the canopy dives QUITE steep. That's great right up to the point that you have a brake-fire.

Is there a negative with the storm in changing the brake setting to something a little shallower?

As for thread, spectre, will get a storm when that is knackered.

I absolutely love mine. I load mine decently, 1.7ish on a 150. When it was in my old rig (early V3, older style dbag, way to small for the dbad with zpx), there were a couple times where I got several line twists. Once when the risers were offset in the twist by several inches. It just keep flying like it should. Since I put it in an new Infinity container (properly sized) with a birdman bridle and a UPT semi-stowless dbag, I don't get any line twist any more. Every now and then I'll get half a line twist that I am already coming out of when the canopy fully inflates.

MorfiusX

Every now and then I'll get half a line twist that I am already coming out of when the canopy fully inflates.

Ditto, it's pretty rare that I get twists and even more rare that I get to try to fix them myself.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Mac

***The brakes are set QUITE deep on Storms and once released the canopy dives QUITE steep. That's great right up to the point that you have a brake-fire.

Is there a negative with the storm in changing the brake setting to something a little shallower?

As for thread, spectre, will get a storm when that is knackered.

I have 2 inches taken away from the brake lines on my Storm, with the original length I don't feel like I have all stopping power I need... Specially in no wind conditions. The 2 inches less solved that and made no changes to the flight caracteristics. If you do shorten them just make sure there is no tension on them when in full flight

For 7 cell I love my storm. For 9 I loved my pilot. I managed to have to chop both for various reasons all stemming from experiments in deployment techniques. ;). Just goes to prove you can twist any canopy up.

As a side note I think we will see more and more wingsuiters go free packed over time. The behavior of the bag makes as much difference to the opening as the canopy...I think.

Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Skwrl

***Let me just put one thing out there in regards to Storms as related to wingsuiting (and general flight): The brakes are set QUITE deep on Storms and once released the canopy dives QUITE steep. That's great right up to the point that you have a brake-fire. The resulting turn needs to be dealt with VERY fast (opposite rear riser) to avoid a chop as compared to the action needed to fix one under a Sabre2 or Spectre.

Storm owner. Can confirm and corroborate Chuck's comment.

Another Storm owner (Storm 135). Very nice, but I too take great care with the brakes.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I would not contemplate changing the brake settings on ANY canopy. PD put a LOT of work into designing and testing the canopy and I'm not about to fiddle with mine. What I CAN tell you, from personal experiences in the past though, is that changing the brake setting can drastically alter your opening characteristics. The Storm openings are great. My advice to you is that you REALLY need to pay attention to how you set your brakes and stow your excess in order to prevent brake fires.

Chuck