Chris-Ottawa

First 3 jumps on my new Aura...with a small incident to share.

Chris-Ottawa

Haha, you got me again. Your right, I learnt on a Tracking Suit, and my next logical choice was the Aura. You guys are good at this game. Don't worry though, I put at least 8 jumps on the tracking suit before upsizing.

Now that I have enough experience in the Aura, I'm going to start proxy flying this weekend in Lauterbrunnen (sp?).

I am confused. This started our as a learning opportunity but it has turned into some sort of defensive joke?
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

It was intended to be a learning opportunity, but everyone is more interested in telling me how I'm not qualified to be jumping the suit, so I gave up and now I'm just telling them what they want to hear.

I'm 100% interested in advice, but simply put, there are some dumb people posting dumb things in this thread, or simply repeating exactly what I already explained in my first post like they've discovered some sort of a revolutionary explanation to what happened. The ONLY thing that has been remotely relevant so far was DSE's post about my exit technique. I honestly don't quite see it, yet, but that's why I' having an offline conversation with him in parallel to the thread to find out more and understand. To me, the relative wind direction doesn't change based on your orientation to the ground, but apparently...it does. Working on understanding that one.

Typical DZ.com nonsense is why I'm now posting nonsense. Everyone just wants to throw out their ego and prove how much better they are than I am. I mean, it's totally helpful to me to tell me that my spin was nothing more than a barrel roll and my inexperience is what caused it to continue beyond that first revolution. Sorry, but there is not a person in the world that could have prevented that spin caused by asymmetric inflation from continuing. For occurring in the beginning...yes, but that's what my mistake outlined in the first post. Plus, I willingly admitted that this was my second jump...ever on the suit.

I don't particularly care anymore, I'm just going to tell everyone exactly what they want to hear because 75% of the responses in this thread are moronic or simply repeating what was already in my first post.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

skow

I'm pretty sure you haven't mentioned the magic cord in your first post, you cheeky motherfucker! B| And I cannot post you a video, because I don't know myself how to use it 'cause as a SKYGOD I keep my legwing closed with my huge dick!

Wow....you are quick! We've got a genuine keener here! Anything else that I missed?

It looks like I'm getting under your skin....don't get too worked up man, I'm just having some fun since only a couple people so far have the mental capacity to have a conversation that doesn't turn into a gong show. (PS: You're in the bottom of that barrel my friend).

I did actually! It must have gotten lost in all this chatter, here it is again for you:

I only have 103 skydives and 18 of those are wingsuit jumps (The last 3 being on my Aura). I've been hiding it all along. I've also been jumping a GoPro since jump 4 and I downsized to my current Comp Velo 79 on jump #81 (and yes, I wingsuit with that canopy too).

Honestly, if people were capable of having normal conversations instead of focusing on tidbits of info taken out of context, I would post the real numbers. Until then, it's irrelevant and pointless.

...but everyone is more interested in telling me how I'm not qualified to be jumping the suit

that alone would make me stop and think again....but you insist on being that guy, so good luck! B|
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Chris-Ottawa

Wow....you are quick! We've got a genuine keener here! Anything else that I missed?

It looks like I'm getting under your skin....don't get too worked up man, I'm just having some fun since only a couple people so far have the mental capacity to have a conversation that doesn't turn into a gong show. (PS: You're in the bottom of that barrel my friend).

Quite a lot, but you don't seem to get the irony/jokes...

Anyway, I don't know why you get so upset when people tell you that you may not have the required experience?? Maybe just listen to them and train more on a smaller suit?

You admitted yourself that you have made a noob mistake. But when people agreed with you and pointed few more small mistakes, you got upset again.
I, myself actually would be happy if I found out what I did wrong, and others agreed, because it means I can think properly. But that's just me.

Don't really get you current attitude, and the point of posting a video when you can't handle what people have to say about it. Hopefully you have fun with Aura and whatever other stuff you plan on doing while skydiving. Cheers!

So, let's do a summary of all the advice given in this thread to "school" me. Then we'll see why I think a bunch of the people in here are morons. Please, please, anyone...point out the ones that aren't common sense, or the ones that actually have some merit.

1)"PhoenixPlr" - Open arm wing first, then leg wing. Good point, I had no comment to disagree with that.
2) "Slater" - Don't rush exit...This was in my original post
3) "Davo" - Lots of side presentation, yep, in my original post
4) "The111" - I'm not convinced the plane's speed had anything to do with it. It certainly didn't impact the exit, but it affected my mindset, which I recognized in post #1
5) "DSE" - "No flaps isn't why you went out sodeways" Yep, figured that one out on my own, and I never said it was the cause.
6) DSE "Probably a good idea to get more current" - yep, in my original post
7) "Skow" - "isn't this rotation exactly what makes you rotated 90 to relative wind, as on the exit the relative wind is not from the earth but from the side? Ummm...what? My rotation makes the rotation? Yep...rotation usually does make rotation. Thanks for the advice Skow.
8) "Zeemax" - You weren't current and put the big suit on. Yep, this was in my first post too.
9) "Skow" - It is expected from any reasonable jumper to know certain things before upsizing. One of them is that during exit, relative wind will have much bigger impact on the bigger suit. Holy shit Skow, this is deep. Bigger suit = More material. I totally never considered this.
10) Flite - "square up in the door, knees together , elbows in and look at the wing while I exit - keep everything closed for a good 2 seconds". Good advice, but the video shows this is what I do, except I choose to exit slightly rotated.
11) "Airbornesid" - "a scary reaction a simple barrell roll " Yes, my mistake, an Asymmetrical inflaton is nothing more than a barrel roll and I failed to recover in .0003 seconds like Sid would. Anyone in the same situation would have never been able to stop that much better than I did. Certainly not a simple barrel roll.
12) "Skow" - "You have a rubber cord inside your legwing which you can pull and it'll keep the legwing up until it's pressurized". Wow Skow, 3 for 3. You're a master...and should probably put your RW suit back on. You're not qualified to jump wingsuits anymore.
13)"Jbag" - "I'm just going to say a bad exit by an experienced jumper looks completely different than going 90 left for some reason". Sorry, I'll work on my style . Jbag clearly missed that this was my second jump on the suit and I never claimed to have thousands of jumps leading up to it. Also, I will conform to JBag;s mandatory exit style, I must conform to fit in.
14) "Mikki_ZH" - "Crapy shitty exit and lack of skill to recover quick". That was the most helpful advice in the thread. Thank you. Haha
15) Butters - "I'm perfect! Let me tell you about my mistakes. Please don't respond with advice. Remember, I'm perfect!" But wait...I posted my "mistake", but you're saying I'm perfect. I'm confused. Which is it? Thanks for the advice?

Wow...putting those into a single thread...shocking to think that some of you are coaches and the guys people look up to. NONE of those provide any revolutionary advice. Frankly, most people simply re-wrote what I wrote in my first thread and called themselves a saviour for coming up with it. The rest was pure shit. The award for least intelligent posts was a clean sweep by Skow. He nailed it with 3 of 3.

Note: DSE made 2 posts about my exit style, which I was communicating offline with him about to understand better because I saw potential validity in them and I wasn't getting a response in the thread.

Seriously, can anyone read these and not see how dumb most of these are?

I genuinely, positively, BEG someone to point out something from this thread that I should have heeded instead of bitching about it? And of course wasn't already typed in my own post.

Had I been a new jumper/wingsuiter and not known any better, I might have believed this nonsense. Honestly shameful...

That's way too long of a summary. Here's a real summary of this shitty thread:

You: I made a mistake.

Everyone: Yes, you made a mistake. Here is some feedback.

You: F*ck you, and f*ck your feedback!

Now let's lock it and move on.
Apex BASE

Actually, while you were busy focusing on the least important aspect, I was busy adding clarification about DSE's posts. Incidentally, I had already clarified thta I had taken that offline with him in a previous post, which of course, you probably didn't read.

Chris-Ottawa

Actually, while you were busy focusing on the least important aspect, I was busy adding clarification about DSE's posts. Incidentally, I had already clarified thta I had taken that offline with him in a previous post, which of course, you probably didn't read.

I wasn't talking about DSE. You're still not focusing closely enough on one poster's line of thinking.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I just went through the thread and picked out all the tidbits of advice for everyone to see how ridiculous it was, maybe I missed something in all the BS. If you want me to respond directly to that, please quote it or let me know what post I blatantly disregarded.

IMHO You should simplify things...get rid of the airplane. Find a cliff so you can focus solely on the suit and how it pressurizes. Also, add more gopros. People need more angles if they are going to be taught online. Plus another gopro probably would have balanced out your flailing rotation. Just my $0.02.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Chris-Ottawa

Now I'm just being a dick [....] I'm making this thread fun for ME now.

You have fun being a dick? You're painting a great picture of yourself here buddy.

Seriously though, what did you expect would come from brushing your experience level under the rug and refusing to talk about it? I don't understand why you didn't just answer the question to begin with, especially if you're confident that your experience is adequate. I don't think you're dumb enough to think experience is irrelevant, so why not answer the question?

Chris-Ottawa

NONE of those provide any revolutionary advice.

There is NO revolutionary advice. You were un-current and felt it was a good idea to strap on a brand new, high performance wingsuit to jump a plane you had jumped only a handful of times.

This, in my opinion, was the wrong thing to do. You claim that I am naive to think that everyone else doesn't do this. Thankfully, this is not what I usually see. Yes, there are those that change many variables at once whilst uncurrent, but the vast majority of jumpers I experience and talk to take the time to think it through and think which bit might kill them before making the changes.

Ask yourself this, would you have tumbled out of control in the manner you had if you had been jumping a smaller suit you were familiar with? Would that comfort in a small suit have helped you understand the best way to exit that particular aircraft before jumping the new, bigger suit?

I believe that would have been the better way to go about it, and therefore perhaps this thread would never have existed.

The countless threads from you afterwards make no sense to me. It strikes me that you just don't like hearing what you're being told.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Zeemax

There is NO revolutionary advice. You were un-current and felt it was a good idea to strap on a brand new, high performance wingsuit to jump a plane you had jumped only a handful of times.

This, in my opinion, was the wrong thing to do. You claim that I am naive to think that everyone else doesn't do this. Thankfully, this is not what I usually see. Yes, there are those that change many variables at once whilst uncurrent, but the vast majority of jumpers I experience and talk to take the time to think it through and think which bit might kill them before making the changes.

Ask yourself this, would you have tumbled out of control in the manner you had if you had been jumping a smaller suit you were familiar with? Would that comfort in a small suit have helped you understand the best way to exit that particular aircraft before jumping the new, bigger suit?

I believe that would have been the better way to go about it, and therefore perhaps this thread would never have existed.

The countless threads from you afterwards make no sense to me. It strikes me that you just don't like hearing what you're being told.

Disco.
Apex BASE

I have to agree that in general most people seem to take the winter break seriously and adjust accordingly, in my experience and opinion.

This time of year we actually rent quite a few suits to folks that simply want to get current again before they jump their big mothership.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

First, Skow...I'm not even sure what to say to you. Simply put...your "recommendations" made zero sense. You should stop while you're ahead.

ZeeMax...Thank you for making a post that isn't quite the same jibberish that this thread has been plagued with.

You were un-current and felt it was a good idea to strap on a brand new, high performance wingsuit to jump a plane you had jumped only a handful of times.

I completely agree, but this was one of the mistakes I recognized in my very first post. What more can I say? I knew better, I recognized that, but for several reasons I did it anyways. I posted the honest account of what happened.

You claim that I am naive to think that everyone else doesn't do this. Thankfully, this is not what I usually see. Yes, there are those that change many variables at once whilst uncurrent, but the vast majority of jumpers I experience and talk to take the time to think it through and think which bit might kill them before making the changes.

Maybe this is the case in youor part of the world, but this is certainly far from my experience. Sure, my 1 in 10 stat is probably a bit exaggerated, but from "my" experience, it's not that far off.

I think regardless of the suit I was jumping, and asymetrical inflation would have caused a spin. Maybe it wouldn't have developed as far as it did, maybe it could have been worse. It's SO easy to critique someone when it's not you, but being there, this whole spin happened in about 4 seconds. I think that a smaller suit would have left me with slightly less worry about getting material into the wind on exit and maybe led to less rushing, but I can't tell you for sure.

This is my point exactly. Nearly nothing that was said, has any relevance. It was simply a gong show. People telling me that exiting into the relative wind would have prevented this? Really, are you fucking serious? No shit it would have. This is why I admitted to my mistake. I rotated into the relative wind, it was a mistake and I went for a quick ride.

My whole point in all of this is that I shared the video for people to see what happened, maybe to learn from it, and hear if anyone had anything that they noticed I was doing glaringly wrong. From my summary of the 15 "recommendations" made in the thread so far, only a couple were relevant. In all honesty, if someone jumping an Aura doesn't realize that you need to present to the relative wind, or keep your wings closed...they certainly shouldn't be jumping the suit. I got frustrated because everyone was posting stupid comments, and then claiming that I'm ignoring their advice. Advice is usually something beyond skills learned at a VERY basic level. I mean, If we were walking down the road and went to cross and I grabbed you and threw you to the ground and said "Holy hell, Zee...you need to look both ways before crossing the street, I think you should sit down and think about this for the rest of the day". You'd think I'm an idiot because you learnt that when you were 2. This is exactly what happened in the thread. This is what I mean by "revolutionary" information that I'm choosing to ignore and play down....there was none (well...mostly).

I even took the time to summarize all the recommendations in the post and called everyone out to show me which ones I ignored or hadn't addressed in my original post...unsurprisingly, no one is. What a shocker! When the facts are presented, everyone goes and pretends that it wasn't them who said it.

As much as everyone thinks I'm a huge ass, my attitude is a direct result of the stupid nonsense being posted in these forums. If people were actually formulating responses instead of just speaking to let everyone know how good they are, my attitude would be very different.

This thread just keep going in circles and I keep explaining the same thing, btu then someone just comes up again indicating how much bigger their dick is and how this would NEVER happen to them. It was a mistake, I recognized that, I shared it and people seem to be incapable of discussing what it is instead of trying to sell theirselves to the rest of the DZ.com community like they're fighting for a slot on that next wingsuit bigway.

Chris-Ottawa

I did actually! It must have gotten lost in all this chatter, here it is again for you:

I only have 103 skydives and 18 of those are wingsuit jumps (The last 3 being on my Aura). I've been hiding it all along. I've also been jumping a GoPro since jump 4 and I downsized to my current Comp Velo 79 on jump #81 (and yes, I wingsuit with that canopy too).

Honestly, if people were capable of having normal conversations instead of focusing on tidbits of info taken out of context, I would post the real numbers. Until then, it's irrelevant and pointless.

you just like tree guys i knows, all they know everyting, all they dead now. Next tread on you probly be on Incidents written by other guys
McConkey es Dios

Honestly dude, if I go in skydiving, just like anyone else, people will speculate. The same thing they'll do for you. I could be jumping a 380 sqft canopy, hit a wind gust and have my canopy collapse, then tumble to my death from 400 feet up. Everyone will go back on here and claim that it was all because I didn't learn basic canopy techniques early on and I wasn't qualified to be jumping that canopy.

Whatever makes you sleep at night man...

The fact remains that almost no one has said anything that isn't basic knowledge or what I already covered in my list of mistakes. When I called people out on their comments, they pretend that they didn't say them because they realize how stupid it sounds. You're just repeating what others have said. There is no advice given in this thread (aside from DSE) that isn't basic, common sense and I already knew and posted about in my first post.

Please, man up and show me one post that I ignored and blew off the person's advice. You'll probably be quite embarassed to realize that I haven't, which makes you look kinda dumb. You enjoy trying to make me look like an ass, so grow some balls and prove me wrong.

Here, I'll even make it easy for you. Tell me which one of these I ignored, blew off and showed just how conceded I am.

1)"PhoenixPlr" - Open arm wing first, then leg wing. Good point, I had no comment to disagree with that.
2) "Slater" - Don't rush exit...This was in my original post
3) "Davo" - Lots of side presentation, yep, in my original post
4) "The111" - I'm not convinced the plane's speed had anything to do with it. It certainly didn't impact the exit, but it affected my mindset, which I recognized in post #1
5) "DSE" - "No flaps isn't why you went out sodeways" Yep, figured that one out on my own, and I never said it was the cause.
6) DSE "Probably a good idea to get more current" - yep, in my original post
7) "Skow" - "isn't this rotation exactly what makes you rotated 90 to relative wind, as on the exit the relative wind is not from the earth but from the side? Ummm...what? My rotation makes the rotation? Yep...rotation usually does make rotation. Thanks for the advice Skow.
8) "Zeemax" - You weren't current and put the big suit on. Yep, this was in my first post too.
9) "Skow" - It is expected from any reasonable jumper to know certain things before upsizing. One of them is that during exit, relative wind will have much bigger impact on the bigger suit. Holy shit Skow, this is deep. Bigger suit = More material. I totally never considered this.
10) Flite - "square up in the door, knees together , elbows in and look at the wing while I exit - keep everything closed for a good 2 seconds". Good advice, but the video shows this is what I do, except I choose to exit slightly rotated.
11) "Airbornesid" - "a scary reaction a simple barrell roll " Yes, my mistake, an Asymmetrical inflaton is nothing more than a barrel roll and I failed to recover in .0003 seconds like Sid would. Anyone in the same situation would have never been able to stop that much better than I did. Certainly not a simple barrel roll.
12) "Skow" - "You have a rubber cord inside your legwing which you can pull and it'll keep the legwing up until it's pressurized". Wow Skow, 3 for 3. You're a master...and should probably put your RW suit back on. You're not qualified to jump wingsuits anymore.
13)"Jbag" - "I'm just going to say a bad exit by an experienced jumper looks completely different than going 90 left for some reason". Sorry, I'll work on my style . Jbag clearly missed that this was my second jump on the suit and I never claimed to have thousands of jumps leading up to it. Also, I will conform to JBag;s mandatory exit style, I must conform to fit in.
14) "Mikki_ZH" - "Crapy shitty exit and lack of skill to recover quick". That was the most helpful advice in the thread. Thank you. Haha
15) Butters - "I'm perfect! Let me tell you about my mistakes. Please don't respond with advice. Remember, I'm perfect!" But wait...I posted my "mistake", but you're saying I'm perfect. I'm confused. Which is it? Thanks for the advice?