Chris-Ottawa

First 3 jumps on my new Aura...with a small incident to share.

Chris-Ottawa

I think you have a very optomistic and maybe even naive view of the sport. I'd bet that no more than 1 in 10 experienced jumpers actually do some sort of an upsize after a break/winter, or downsize a wingsuit for the first few jumps of the season. Students...sure, I'd say that most of them may do it, but experienced jumpers...not so much. You buy that new canopy, generally, you're jumping it. Now, will you rip a 270 on it on jump 1? I'd say probably not, but 99% will likely still jump it and save 270 for jump 2 or 3.

In fact I would say most people upsize suits and downsize canopies when they are uncurrent, people usually buy gear at the beginning of a season or during the off season... That doesn't mean it is a good way to go about it

Chris-Ottawa

The same principle exists throughout skydiving. Start of the season, un-current? I think I'll try that new, heavily loaded Velo. No.

I think you have a very optomistic and maybe even naive view of the sport. I'd bet that no more than 1 in 10 experienced jumpers actually do some sort of an upsize after a break/winter, or downsize a wingsuit for the first few jumps of the season.

I think you missed the point of his post completely. He is describing a smart and safe principle, and you seem to think that the existence of a contrary practice somehow invalidates his point or makes him naive?

The truth it is exactly the opposite. Because he is aware of such practices being common, he feels the need to remind readers about safe principles.

"But everybody does it" was not a good argument when I was a kid... and it's still not. :S
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

What Matt said!

I've had a long winter off, got a Colugo... I don't plan on jumping it after months of no air time (excluding tunnel)
Same with my canopies, I have a Katana but I don't plan on jumping it immediately at the start of the season for the same reason.
I got smaller suits and bigger canopies, and I'll use those to transition back to being current.
(and I know it's off topic :P)

I actually didn't miss the point of his post. I agree with it and I even recognized that this was my one of my mistakes in my first post. He would be naive if he "believed" that this is what everyone did, not because he said it is what everyone "should do".
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Chris-Ottawa

He would be naive if he "believed" that this is what everyone did

But he didn't say anything to indicate such a belief, and you suggested he was naive anyway.

In fact, he indicated the opposite belief more than once.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

That being said, this didn't play down quite like I imagine it is in your mind. There were a few things leading up to everything happening the way it did, and I simply didn't feel it necessary to draw out the complete story for everyone.

To me this reads like there's more stuff that you've done that you know people will disagree with so you're hiding it because you know other posters will call you on it.

I've got no dog in this fight, it just seems odd you posted the event for discussion when you evidently don't want to discuss it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Haha, yep, you got me. I only have 103 skydives and 18 of those are wingsuit jumps (The last 3 being on my Aura). I've been hiding it all along. I've also been jumping a GoPro since jump 4 and I downsized to my current Comp Velo 79 on jump #81 (and yes, I wingsuit with that canopy too). There....it's out there to discuss. That's what you wanted to hear, right?

Wait...while I'm being honest...there's more. I downsized and changed to an elliptical at the same time. Also, it was me that farted on the plane that day on the ride to altitude.

Fact is, if I didn't want to discuss it, I wouldn't have posted it. I posted it to share the video, and hopefully allow people to learn from it, or maybe this will help them reconsider getting a large suit for a few more jumps.

I have no idea why everyone has their panties in a bunch anyways. I don't see why we can't accept that fact that I posted simply to share my mistake. I'm fully aware of what it was, but everyone on here seems to believe that they're invincible to anything like this from happening to them and that they need to reitterate the same things I already said in my first post like I had no idea.

Oh, and just because you think I'm secretly hiding something that would allow you guys to roast me...I'm specifically going to make every effort to withhold it now. What will you do? You won't be able to sleep at night! Some random guy on the internet won't tell you his deep, dark secrets. Haha...

Chris-Ottawa

Interesting...so if someone botches an exit, they don't have the required experience to be jumping "X" suit? That's the extent of your assessment? A little hyper-critical I think.

I must say, that I couldn't agree more. It is expected from any reasonable jumper to know certain things before upsizing. One of them is that during exit, relative wind will have much bigger impact on the bigger suit, and potentially cause the things you've experienced. So a smart thing to do on first jumps would be to try to do a perfect, arched, all wings closed exit.

I'm not criticizing, but it seems to me that Aura was you first upsize, as you otherwise would be familiar with the stuff I just wrote. And I'm not saying that it's necessary a bad thing (although lot of people would disagree) but seems that you just haven't made enough research about bigger suits before jumping one.

Michalm21, do you know me, or has my aggressive canopy progression proceeded me? That would be bad, right? Haha.

I didn't downsize "that" aggressively and I don't even jump an x-brace on a normal jump, let alone an elliptical while wingsuiting. Plus, I needed a smaller canopy so I could get better flares and more wind penetration. Why else would I downsize?

Jakee, if you read this post...it's a complete lie. I am jumping that Comp Velo, but don't tell anyone, k?

Haha, you got me again. Your right, I learnt on a Tracking Suit, and my next logical choice was the Aura. You guys are good at this game. Don't worry though, I put at least 8 jumps on the tracking suit before upsizing.

Now that I have enough experience in the Aura, I'm going to start proxy flying this weekend in Lauterbrunnen (sp?).

Thanks for posting
- I've ws'd KA's a bunch and I always square up in the door, knees together , elbows in and look at the wing while I exit - keep everything closed for a good 2 seconds
- also watch out for your legwing - at 1 second in you can watch it scrape across the door and plane

flite

also watch out for your legwing - at 1 second in you can watch it scrape across the door and plane

Thanks man, I'm curious though, what could I possibly do to prevent the excess material from my legwing from touching the plane? Unless there's a snagpoint, I can't really foresee much to be worried about. Considering the size of the KA's door, I'm pretty sure anyone with an Aura/Colugo/Apache/X-series etc sized suit would have this same issue. Those jumping from a door that fits a fully loaded pallet (Caravan/Otter etc) don't have this concern.

im completley amazed at the way this thread has gone ....! people actually giving advice about relative winds presentation blah blah yes of course a perfect exit would have been ideal for you but stuff happens and this was not a scary exit but a scary reaction a simple barrell roll back onto you plain of axis and you would have been good to go. Instead of losing alot of altitude un-intentially and scaring yourself (by the sounds of it) . Learning to fly your body and aggressive maneuvores in smaller wingsuits is the way to go my friend , also alot more fun.

Chris-Ottawa

Thanks man, I'm curious though, what could I possibly do to prevent the excess material from my legwing from touching the plane?

You have a rubber cord inside your legwing which you can pull and it'll keep the legwing up until it's pressurized.

I don't know what's your problem, but seems to me that people are trying to help you and analyze mistakes you made during the jump and you're acting like a little bitch who knows everything and can't take any constructive criticism.

As I wrote in my post, I'm NOT criticizing you or saying that Aura was a bad choice for you. Just read and get some more info from more experienced jumpers.

You have a rubber cord inside your legwing which you can pull and it'll keep the legwing up until it's pressurized.

Whoa! Really? Is it a magic cord? Shit dude, I'm glad you posted, I had NO FLIPPING IDEA. Can you send me a video of how it works? I'll be sure to test it out on my next jump! Is there one for the arm wings that can prevent them from deploying too? That way, I'll never have to worry about the spin happening again! Where the hell were you 3 jumps ago man?

seems to me that people are trying to help you and analyze mistakes you made during the jump

Really? Is that what you're reading? All I see is a bunch of egos floating around that need to make a point to some noob that isn't qualified to be jumping this suit according to them. EVERYTHING that's been said, was said in my first post.

Now I'm just being a dick because people can't read, or use common sense. I'm making this thread fun for ME now.

I'm just going to say a bad exit by an experienced jumper looks completely different than going 90 left for some reason. Your defense lacks substance but contains plenty of comparison. We are evaluating YOUR video of YOU that you yourself put up asking for critique. Harden the fuck up, put your ego to the side, and go put on something smaller that doesnt have the capability of a huge impact for your next "bad exit."
IHYD

Chris-Ottawa

Whoa! Really? Is it a magic cord? Shit dude, I'm glad you posted, I had NO FLIPPING IDEA. Can you send me a video of how it works? I'll be sure to test it out on my next jump! Is there one for the arm wings that can prevent them from deploying too? That way, I'll never have to worry about the spin happening again! Where the hell were you 3 jumps ago man?

***seems to me that people are trying to help you and analyze mistakes you made during the jump

Really? Is that what you're reading? All I see is a bunch of egos floating around that need to make a point to some noob that isn't qualified to be jumping this suit according to them. EVERYTHING that's been said, was said in my first post.

Now I'm just being a dick because people can't read, or use common sense. I'm making this thread fun for ME now.

I feel sorry for everyone who acutally took the time to answer you... If you already know everything why do you post it?
I'm not an expert but to sum it up what I saw in your vid:
Crapy shitty exit and lack of skill to recover quick.

In and out, bye...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

Chris-Ottawa

EVERYTHING that's been said, was said in my first post.

I'm pretty sure you haven't mentioned the magic cord in your first post, you cheeky motherfucker! B| And I cannot post you a video, because I don't know myself how to use it 'cause as a SKYGOD I keep my legwing closed with my huge dick!

There's a few people making some pretty steep claims in this thread, but I certainly don't see them posting videos of their mistakes and/or first jumps on anything. They must be everyday Chuck Norriss' and make the wind go around their ability instead!

Mikki, JBag, got anything to share?