FAH

ear question

I've read some of the past threads on the topic, but hope you don't mind if I throw this out there.

I just started AFF last week, did level 1-3. It's now about 4 days later and my ears are still a little clogged. It doesn't seem like anything major, no pain, no significant pressure, just a little crackling. But I'm still a little worried that it hasn't completely cleared by now. At this point, should I be thinking about seeing a doctor? I was hoping to jump again soon, but I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks for any advice.

do you have sinus trouble?
I went through 2 levels of surgery for sinuses and my jumping is now fine. it's not jumping but, rather sinus swelling that was the trouble maker for me.
try Claritan -D 24hr early in the day and see how you feel by dinner. IF not see your doctor because your upper sinuses my be the real trouble. *dont rule out the ear infection going around (virus)
**Only a doctor can really tell you in reality.

are u able to clear the ears?

Not completely, but it seems to be getting better gradually. Basically I just have a little crackling when I open my jaw or swallow. I'll probably give it a few more days, hopefully it'll be cleared by then.

Never had sinus trouble before.

Not completely, but it seems to be getting better gradually. Basically I just have a little crackling when I open my jaw or swallow. I'll probably give it a few more days, hopefully it'll be cleared by then.

if you cannot clear don´t jump. if you have pain don´t jump. Ascending is not such a big problem but falling might be.
While under canopy - swallow often. Once on the ground clear your ears. If you cannot clear - don´t jump any further.

if you cannot clear don´t jump. if you have pain don´t jump. Ascending is not such a big problem but falling might be.
While under canopy - swallow often. Once on the ground clear your ears. If you cannot clear - don´t jump any further.

It can be worse than just that...

I ruptured BOTH ear drums SCUBA diving 100 years ago, gave it several months to heal and got the OK to jump...I try NOT to clear my ears much on the way up, trying to keep the inside pressure greater than the outside because in free-fall as well as under canopy, swallowing etc. can't keep up with the pressure changes.

AS SOON as I'm under canopy I need to actually pressurize before going any lower, (pinch off nose & blow) or the pain gets so intense it crosses my eyes.

Ear problems are nothing to play with, I would advise the OP to give it plenty of time, check with a trusted MD and once cleared to jump, make a few low H&P's prior to going all the way up.

Feeling like a couple of railroad spikes are being pounded into your melon can be rather distracting. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

After my first jump. It took a good 3-4 days for my ears to clear. A few months later, I did two more in one day. Again, my ears took a few days to clear. Now that I'm a grizzled old veteran (Hey, what's that howling sound? :P). My Eustachian tubes allow me to equalize much faster. It takes time to adapt. There may be nothing wrong. Take a Claritin, or some Benadryl. If you're still not clear in another day? Go see an ENT to be safe. You may simply have done too much too soon. Good Luck.

I've read some of the past threads on the topic, but hope you don't mind if I throw this out there.

I just started AFF last week, did level 1-3. It's now about 4 days later and my ears are still a little clogged. It doesn't seem like anything major, no pain, no significant pressure, just a little crackling. But I'm still a little worried that it hasn't completely cleared by now. At this point, should I be thinking about seeing a doctor? I was hoping to jump again soon, but I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks for any advice.

I know this post is a month old, but when I had crackling after my first jump, it was a perforated ear drum. I have sinus issues though (just started this year, before I started jumping), so that is why it happened. I was able to clear, but it was too late. Now my sinuses are better (I haven't jumped for a month though because of a bad back), but I've been using nose spray just in case. As long as I'm able to clear 'em, I'm fine :)

If you blew your ear drum. Go ahead and jump. The pressure equalizes with the hole in your ear drum and causes no problems. I jump 3 days after i belw mine and it was fine. If its not from a rupture then do jump go to a doctor and see if he clears you for it.
Maytown Sport Parachute Club
Never turn your back on a charging turtle.