Absolut

Elliptical Canopies

Hi guys, one serious question: since i really get a lot out of that canopy and swooping it is pretty dangerous because of the short recovery arch (safire 2 139, wl 1.4), i really wanna get a canopy with a longer recovery arch and less front riser pressure. It wasn't long till i fell in love with the crossfire 2 119. Wingload would be around 1.72 (losing weight right now ;-) ). I'm mostly freeflying but wingsuiting is still one of my favourite disciplines. Do you guys have any experience wingsuiting fully elliptical skydiving canopies at around 1.72? My ws is an Intrudair Piranha 2, so something small-medium sized. Pulls are quite stable, never had any linetwist on my safire. I know these canopies aren't really good for wingsuiting, but is it possible without having dozens of cutaways, can you jump it in a safe way? I just don't wanna have 2 canopies, jumping just one with the other one lying around. I really appreciate any serious answer! Blue skies :-)

I know these canopies aren't really good for wingsuiting, but is it possible without having dozens of cutaways, can you jump it in a safe way? I just don't wanna have 2 canopies, jumping just one with the other one lying around. I really appreciate any serious answer! Blue skies :-)

I jump a Cobalt with WL 1.6-1.8. I've jumping it with WS since my last reline. I had about 400-500 jumps with that and 2 cut-aways with WS. One of that was my own stupid fault, the other just happened.

Depending the slider placement my canopy opens fast or slow with closed end cell even on WL 1.8. The real fun is coming having a line-twist with closed end cells combined. I plan my opening 1000-1300m range to deal with whatever I'm going to have.

Plan B: I did have and used a different canopy(canopy+PC+d-bag,risers) and a switch bag. I could change my main in 5 minutes about the cost of closing the H/C.

Plan C: There was a time I had an older gear with Triathlon used for WS mostly.

If you can accept how your elleptical canopy opens go ahead.
If have a faint heart go for Plan B or C.

Swooping with WS on? You can't find more expensive swooping pants. EMT would uses scissors to get you out if you break a leg.

is it possible without having dozens of cutaways

If you want to swing that on luck, go with the choice you have in mind.
If you want to do it without a dozen, or any cutaways, pick a smarter canopy. And either switch mains (a 2nd hand 'old' one for wingsuit isnt that pricey) or decide which dicipline you want to dedicate your gear towards.

Choose the right gear for the right sport/discipline. And swooping-wise, be carefull saying stuff about doing the max of whats possible under a canopy. But than again, I jumped a 170 spectre the first 1000 jumps, and learnt to swoop that without problems. So might not be the best 'downsizing' coaching...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Thanks for the advice. I had that idea too of getting a second set of pod, pc and risers with another older, cheaper canopy so i can just quickly switch whenever i want to wingsuit. This might be the way i will go. The point is that i'm a student and i really don't have soo much money, so i can't afford having another canopy just lying around. Still i wanna jump in the safest possible way. I jumped my canopy now for around 320ish jumps, doing a lot of canopy exercises, and i was told by many instructors if i want to continue to swoop safely i should get a canopy made for swooping, that's why this is the way i'll go. Thanks for the great advice.

I have about 100 wingsuit jumps on a Crossfire loaded at 1.85 to one. I ended up opening a 1000 ft higher than I would have liked to in order to give me altitude to deal with canopy issues. Every single time I had line twist which were maybe 6 times they pointed to the ground. It is possible to find a cheap canopy and set it up with d-bag, risers and pilot chute for a quick change over. I generally jump a VX loaded 2.2 to 1 and have set up a Sabre 135 with all the above for quick canopy swap for around $600.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Well it wasn't really my intention to sacrifice safety just to jump a smaller canopy. I'd rather get another second canopy i can wingsuit with a good feeling than having to pull higher because i'm just not sure how the canopy will react on opening. I will keep my eyes open for another canopy, thanks for that input! This seems to be the best way. Maybe a storm 120 or bigger might be a good choice for a wingsuit canopy. Blue skies

Absolut

Well it wasn't really my intention to sacrifice safety just to jump a smaller canopy. I'd rather get another second canopy i can wingsuit with a good feeling than having to pull higher because i'm just not sure how the canopy will react on opening. I will keep my eyes open for another canopy, thanks for that input! This seems to be the best way. Maybe a storm 120 or bigger might be a good choice for a wingsuit canopy. Blue skies

just know a 120 is going to piont you at the ground also,
im loading @1.3-1.4 on a spectre 120, and it is far from doscile when you have spinning line twists. if you ever plan on doing any bigway wingsuit stuff you might also want to consider a larger canopy. Organizers tend to shy away from folks with highly loaded mains in big groups.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

roostnureye

Organizers tend to shy away from folks with highly loaded mains in big groups.

Really? Since when?

The last "big event" had quite a few loaded at 2.0 and higher. The "big" wingsuit events that I've been part of have never asked about wingloading (I still have the registration forms for all of them).
Some big events, it's even been ok to smoke up before jumping:S>:(

AFAIK, Jarno and my own events are the only ones where wingloading has ever been mentioned, and that's only been since 2010.

To the OP;
Are you a swooper or a wingsuiter? Frequently the two don't go together well. Not necessarily because of the additional drag, but remember that wingsuits are frequently landing at the same time as tandems. Not all DZ's have separations for landing areas.
I have video of three of Jonathan Tagle's chops under a Velo, and he was arguably one of the best pilots in the world (both wingsuit and canopy).
Some guys do get by with small canopies, but please remember that it's not just about you. If you have a highly loaded canopy that spins up, you could well be putting another wingsuiter at risk, and could possibly putt a tandem at risk.
FWIW, I've upsized from a Storm 135 to a Storm 150. Always on-heading, still sporty, can land flat and fast (I'm not a swooper), and can accurately land in very tight areas/demos with it.

Thanks guys. You got some really good points here i didn't even think about that much. It's true that most of the time i got tandems around me and the landing area is long, but not very wide. I actually like the safire 139 for wingsuiting a lot, very reliable openings, and onheading. It's also true that this is not just about my safety, but even more about the safety of other people. I never want to put anybody else at risk because of my decisions. So i might just stick with my current canopy as a backup. Since my main discipline is freeflying, it's great to have a swoop canopy. But on the days without any other freeflyers, nice clouds or wingsuit flocks it might be nice to have a more docile canopy for some nice wingsuit action. Thanks a lot for your input again guys, really appreciate it!

i actually got rid of my safire2 129 after about 10 severe line twists and finally a cutaway, all WS deployments. i was loading my safire at 1.65

i now have a pilot 132, and i know thats its virtually the same size, but a safire2 is significantly more elliptical than the pilot. ive had nothing but BUTTERY ass, slow openings with my pilot and zero problems, and it still performs similar.......

its just a matter of how good your deployments are, but sometimes shit just happens with wingsuits.
gravity brings me down.........

Some guys do get by with small canopies, but please remember that it's not just about you. If you have a highly loaded canopy that spins up, you could well be putting another wingsuiter at risk, and could possibly putt a tandem at risk.

Drive by fear?

Let me try this: I can destroy this planet with my wildly spinning elliptical canopy. :S