FlyingMatt

PF carve?

Bluhdow

Just saw this with Robert tagged in it. Looks like they added some horsepower!

Looks ever so slightly larger then the Aura, but more vertical grippers. Looks like the vents are propped open, similar as well.

But they still retain that silly, pain in the ass to put on 4 zipper system... and clearly no escape sleeve. Deal breakers for me.

Does getting rid of the foot and moving the wing to the toe really improve drag noticeably enough to justify the obvious issues? Do the fins cause issues on the ground or in aircraft... What about downhill sloping BASE exits or any exit where your not on the immediate edge?

Any thoughts on the fins being hazardous for flocking?

I mean...I understand that theoretically nobody should be flying into someone. But it's happened before and will happen again.

Seems like they'd be able to chop thorough a wing, or maybe take a chunk of someone's cheek if they aren't wearing a full face.

Jarno...any thoughts or commentary here? I'm sure this came up during development.
Apex BASE

Bluhdow

Any thoughts on the fins being hazardous for flocking?

I mean...I understand that theoretically nobody should be flying into someone. But it's happened before and will happen again.

Seems like they'd be able to chop thorough a wing, or maybe take a chunk of someone's cheek if they aren't wearing a full face.

Jarno...any thoughts or commentary here? I'm sure this came up during development.

First, I don't think suits like this are for flocking. If you have one of these in your wardrobe you most likely have a suit better suited for flocking.

Second, I can't see how they are more dangerous than cameras sticking out...and then there are the flying 170+lbs bodies that cause the real damage! ;)

Dangerous? Yes, but I don't think more than the existing obstacles.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

WickedWingsuits

***Any thoughts on the fins being hazardous for flocking?

First, I don't think suits like this are for flocking. If you have one of these in your wardrobe you most likely have a suit better suited for flocking.

Second, I can't see how they are more dangerous than cameras sticking out...and then there are the flying 170+lbs bodies that cause the real damage! ;)

Dangerous? Yes, but I don't think more than the existing obstacles.

And certainly no more dangerous than the carbon fiber altimeter mounts many wingsuiters choose to wear.

DSE

And certainly no more dangerous than the carbon fiber altimeter mounts many wingsuiters choose to wear.

Agreed, plastic mounts are much safer.

****shameless plug for my altimeter and gopro mudflap mounts*****

:)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

People have "big suit flocks" all the time. For a normal flock I'd grab my Havok, sure, but why wouldn't the handful of big suits get together for a flight every now and then?

That said, the points about fins being no less hazardous than what's already out there are well-taken. Though the counter-point would be that plastic sharpened to an edge is more of a hazard than a plastic box with rounded edges.

Just spit-balling here. No conclusions drawn just yet.
Apex BASE

The escape sleeve is a system that also decreases agility and direct feedback in flying a lot. It tends to create a distorted leading edge that disrupts the clean airflow, causing less direct response. We noticed such a huge difference in handling, that we decided to focus on the aspects one buys the suit for. The flying. A loose sleeve influences handling, like toggles on a canopy with too much slack. It delays inputs, and mandates bigger inputs as well. Removing the subtle more precise control. But it does require a certain more assertive flying style beyond straight lines to appreachiate the differences. Not having to wrestle a suit around the sky with huge inputs.

In walking on sloping surfaces, weird edges/outcrops or plane skydives the fins dont hinder, but make a big positive change in agility. The whole suit cuts through the dky and carves in turns like a knife through butter. As well as an improved glide due to the better low drag characteristics. Thats something you notice quite quick when you fly the suit, and shows none of the made up 'obvious' yet imaginary issues.

Ive flown a lot of wingsuits the last 12 years, and this one surprised me so much in agile/responsive handling, Im making it my main suit for coming base season (next to the Carve for acro/backflying stuff). And so far, most people who demo-ed the suit (or its speedy V-Race brother) are saying/experiencing the same positive things. As theres a dozen other/additional updates and changes in design that also make it fly better than previous big suit designs.

You'll be seeing more of these available for demo soon, and an announcement on (pre)ordering this month.

Ill be on Eloy the coming 2 weeks, and Elsinore end of March for those wanting to try this one or the Havok Carve.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Regarding the fins being hazardous for flocking: The are not kitchen knives, but do pose a hard surface that should be taken care of. But at the experience/skill level needed to fly these sized suits, it shouldnt pose much more (or even less) of a danger than the GoPro extensions and various mounts people jump on skydives.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

the fact the stabilizers are being added is saying something about how it performs without them. no one is saying the bootyless wont turn without trying to kill you. it can just turn a lot faster and more precise, and the addition of these stabilizers prove that point. i cant wait to give my viper a spin with them.

also, where does the viper stand now...is the venom power suppose to be the quick/nimble big suit and the viper the floatier one with the huge airfoil?

Also without the stabilizers it flies great. But the fins add an amount of stability and sharp turning to these big suits, that so far hasnt been available on any similar sized suit. But thats a thing you need to try to fully appreciate. All suits are offered with the fins as an option, but the bootie-less design also flies well without. Though the bootie-less sharper flying style may not suit everyone, and may require more than the max 2 skydives of training some do, to fly the way its been designed in the base environmentB|

That aside, filmed a rodeo of full lower body (and hand) amputee Todd Love, riding my leg-amputee wingsuit teammate and camera man 'bionic' Rob today. Most amazing thing Ive witnessed in a while. Video soon!!

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

So just out of curiosity, will Vampire be for pilots that want something super fast, then V Race for those that want something fast but with a bit better glide and then Venom 2/Power for those that want maximum glide with less speed?

The Venom Power has a slightly better glide, the V-Race a bit of an edge in agility.

On the prototypes shown, cutaways aren't always present, but for customers these are always available standard, and possible without if people really want.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

V-Race and V-Power are more glide oriented, but with new advances a big step up in agility for that class/size wingsuit. Ive been doing (big suit) coaching jumps on Eloy, while flying the V-Power, doing steep banking turns and headdown carves Id never dreamt of doing with any big suit.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

!

But they still retain that silly, pain in the ass to put on 4 zipper system... and clearly no escape sleeve. Deal breakers for me.?

Is it really that hard to do up 4 zippers? Never thought this was an issue granted it takes a whole 30 seconds which is pretty tough ;)
Dont just talk about it, Do it!