Kirby46

First steps to wingsuit flying

Bluhdow

***I appreciate your comments and take it on board but don't belittle me or the sports I already do.

Not everyone's advice will begin with please and end with thank you. Take the lesson and try not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I look forward to hearing from you again when your jump numbers exceed your post count. You've got some work to do.

I suspect my number of jumps exceeds the amount of friends you have.

Kirby46

I suspect my number of jumps exceeds the amount of friends you have.

Since you have zero jumps, that means I'd have to have a negative number of friends. One of two things is true here:

1. You don't know how friends work.
2. You don't know how numbers work.

I think the proper retort would have been that your jump number matches the number of friends I have.

Partial credit though, because I do think it was a clever response.
Apex BASE

dragon2

Yeah. Shows you watched the video real well. Some of the deceased/injured shown belonged to the top of base jumpers at the time...

I think you're the one who needs to open your eyes Saskia. A Russian guy with not that much experience, jumping drunk/hungover. That's a super obvious 'duh' safetywise, and not something where you need to put down the guy who makes that observation:P

That aside (and not aimed at Saskia), incident videos. A lot of people say they learn things watching it, but 'dialing it back' isnt the same as 'get some actual experience'. A lot of very experienced basejumpers are going back to skydiving to acquire skills. And a lot of accidents with experienced basejumpers, do make me wonder what jump numbers (skydiving or base) make someone 'experienced'.
Carnage videos are good reality checks. But learning wise, a couple of 1000 skydives will teach you more than watching a video. Experience works.
But (regarding base) of course, mistakes can kill. But a lot of people seem to glorify and highlight that aspect a bit too much, to the point of it (seemingly) being the main reason for doing it. I know skydiving and basejumping can kill. But for neither, its the reason why I do it. I just love flying. And that my only motivation. Death is just a motivation to try and learn/train as much as possible doing actual skydives, so I know where my limits in terms of skills are. But even there, im mostly focussed on the skills, and how much fun it is to train/practice. And not doing the whole emo thing, making it seem like 'fear' is the only reason why we do this. But to everyone his own.

That aside...Its always good to learn, but its also good to remember that people have different views when they come into this sport. And Im seeing a lot of cyber-bully behaviour, where everyone is giving the excited young/new guy a lot of shit.

Sam Laming is a top UK wingsuit coach, a very modest, safe and methodical wingsuit pilot and basejumper. A good example to a lot of new and experienced guys in the sport of basejumping if you ask me. And he himself was in stitches reading back some of the posts he made when he just started skydiving. Many reading like this guy. Excited, full of plans for world domination and and stunts that would make Evil Knievel turn pale. But he was asking because he wanted to learn. Naive. Sure. But as people progress, they learn. Cut the guy some slack. He's doing AFF in march, and from there on, doing actual skydives he'll get a good idea of how to progress. And at that point, he'll be more likely to listen to the friendly people than listening to the ones bullying him and making fun.

We where all beginners once...Just my 0.2 cents..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Kirby46

I got an idea of just how hard it is by watching level 1 AFF jumps too. ;)

I had some tell me not to watch videos. But prior to learning to jump I watched many AFF videos. One thing I got a laugh out of was someone getting unstable and reaching for a handle in the sky, that was not there. On one of my early release jumps, I dropped a shoulder and started toward a head down, roll over. I almost reached for that sky handle, but because of the videos I knew right away it would not help me. I quickly went with what was happening and did my first barrel roll...sort of.

To me the videos have some value as to what you might see or experience, properly taken with a grain of salt.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Kirby46

Going back to the Russians in the video; what a bunch of idiots! That clearly shows little or no training and why you need to be an extremely skilled pilot/base jumper to achieve controlled proximity flights.

That just seems like a very presumptuous and disrespectful thing to say coming from somebody with zero experience.

We all were new once (I still consider myself a relatively new skydiver, and a very new BASE jumper). We all asked ridiculous questions. I just took offense when he started talking about how other jumpers are "idiots" for going in, and how his bicycle skills give him a qualified view of the sport.

But whatever. Internet!
Apex BASE

Bluhdow

***Going back to the Russians in the video; what a bunch of idiots! That clearly shows little or no training and why you need to be an extremely skilled pilot/base jumper to achieve controlled proximity flights.

That just seems like a very presumptuous and disrespectful thing to say coming from somebody with zero experience.

We all were new once (I still consider myself a relatively new skydiver, and a very new BASE jumper). We all asked ridiculous questions. I just took offense when he started talking about how other jumpers are "idiots" for going in, and how his bicycle skills give him a qualified view of the sport.

But whatever. Internet!

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking you are a complete prick.
By the way, I was correct last time. You said a friend of yours died so that makes you -1 friend.
I really hope you see him soon.

Kirby46

By the way, I was correct last time. You said a friend of yours died so that makes you -1 friend.

Right. He says that your words seem presumptuous and disrespectful, so you respond "I hope you die like your dead friend," and somehow you think he's the prick? This whole thread belongs in the trash dump.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Kirby46

I think you should print that on a t-shirt when you go to AFF course.

Kirby46

You destroyed the asshole meter...asshole.
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

1 First step, leave the internet posting alone from now on.
By all means read, but without any experience of any of the things your talking about, nothing good will come of this.

2 Get on with your AFF.

Your aiming high, this is good as you will need a lot of motivation to complete the journey.

Your previous experience with DH bikes is going to work against you. Having experienced a high level of competence in one activity usually makes the person assume they do not have to start at the beginning at the new activity, I had a friend try to convince me to teach him Speedflying as he was experienced in 'extreme sports', roller blading as it turns out, but he had watched plenty of you tube videos and proceed to explain to me how to fly a speed wing with 'the strings'. Don't be that douche bag.

You have a lot of fun and new experiences ahead of you, it will be a wild ride. You should understand however that in wingsuit proximity flying, there is usually little or no margin for error. I would compare it to playing Russian roulette, no amount of skill or preparation can over come a zero margin for error. In fact, the more you jump the more times you are exposed to the risk. It is dangerously addictive, too and the desire to fly close and fast with cloud your judgement on many occasions, if safety rawly is a priority for you, steer clear of base full stop. I suspect this is not the case, But these are problems for your future.
I would be happy if I do not see another post on here from you for say 4 years if all goes well, with just an update on this thread to say that you have achieved your dream.

Kirby46

LOL!

Enough of this. I'm going to go fly my wingsuit today.
Apex BASE

Kirby46

******Going back to the Russians in the video; what a bunch of idiots! That clearly shows little or no training and why you need to be an extremely skilled pilot/base jumper to achieve controlled proximity flights.

But whatever. Internet!

I was pretty much on your side till this post. Yes there were people giving you negative comments about your approach to the whole situation but that was uncalled for. Once you made a death threat over an internet argument you pretty much lost all credibility. Like others have said I would recommend you just stop posting here till you've got some real world experience. Especially after issuing a death threat, I doubt you will receive any more good advice on here.

Kirby46

Whoa! DZ.com forums never cease to amaze!

If this is your reaction to an online comment that you "considered" personal, you will have hard time doing actual skydiving. My only recommendation to you is: once you get frustrated with something in the dropzone, take a deep breath and try to forget about it. Skydiving is much more mental than physical.

Just to reset the system. Get the skydives, fly wingsuits from airplanes, take your time, ect. If youre in chamonix in the summer, go to the top of brevent and there is almost always someone there in the morning jumping. It is one of the most technical wingsuit jumps in the world if you want to see some of the best wingsuit pilots in action. Its a nerve racking place, so honestly id say just sit up there and watch the show, offer some beers if you see the jumpers around town. Good luck, and remember its a super super small world, be humble, be polite, and youll achieve your dreams eventually. Im about 10 years since my first jump, and I couldnt have asked for anything more, and I didnt do a base jump until I had almost 500 skydives, and am really glad I did.

yorgunson

***I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking you are a complete prick.

Whoa! DZ.com forums never cease to amaze!

If this is your reaction to an online comment that you "considered" personal, you will have hard time doing actual skydiving. My only recommendation to you is: once you get frustrated with something in the dropzone, take a deep breath and try to forget about it. Skydiving is much more mental than physical.

I think he is funny.

mccordia

When people start flinging death wishes at each others head, I call it a day....

I'm also going to grab popcorn and sit this one out....

He should go on basejumper.com

They're a much more touchy-feely crowd over there. Cumbaya and all that shit.
Remster

Kirby46

******Going back to the Russians in the video; what a bunch of idiots! That clearly shows little or no training and why you need to be an extremely skilled pilot/base jumper to achieve controlled proximity flights.

But whatever. Internet!

With this kind of attitude, I would be surprised if you ever do more than 50 jumps untill you give up and find some other, more "extreme" hobby to do. Jumping solo gets old very very fast...

I'm sorry to anyone I have offended on here apart from the bully who caused me to make an angry comment in the first place.
It was not a death threat, it was an angry comment aimed at that bully.

Anyways,

Thank you for all the kind words, and not so kind words and advice I really do appreciate it.
I wish you all the best in your skydiving and wingsuit flying.
Maybe catch some of you crazy cats at the top of le brevent in July.
I'm off to do my AFF now and ride my "bicycle" down some large hills.

Thank you and goodnight, much love. X

Kirby46

I'm sorry to anyone I have offended on here apart from the bully who caused me to make an angry comment in the first place.

Anyways,

Thank you for all the kind words, and not so kind words and advice I really do appreciate it.
I wish you all the best in your skydiving and wingsuit flying.
Maybe catch some of you crazy cats at the top of le brevent in July.
I'm off to do my AFF now and ride my "bicycle" down some large hills.

Thank you and goodnight, much love. X

probably you'll end up seeing bluhdows friend earlier than he will..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Kirby46

You may find out that 90% of skydiving community (and 99% of BASE community) is those "bullies".