FlyingMatt

ghost 3 or r-bird?

FlyingMatt

Hi i am just wondering what your thoughts on these 2 suits? im not sure what to get.Im 5'10" 190lbs and do mostly flocking but still like to do some fast 2 ways or solos.I have 100 jumps with the p3

Thanks in advance

Both great suits, the R Bird was my favorite suit for the longest time. Have to give credit to the Ghost3 for being a rock solid back fly suit.

Wouldn't hurt to try both out.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

uberchris

how bout P3 to colugo?
foolish?

jbag i know you fly an aura so im wondering your WS progression

is it dumb to go from a P3 to a colugo, if you can fly the SHIT out of your P3?

P3 to viper seems more logical. Just make sure you aren't flying a square canopy with it.

uberchris

how bout P3 to colugo?
foolish?

jbag i know you fly an aura so im wondering your WS progression

is it dumb to go from a P3 to a colugo, if you can fly the SHIT out of your P3?

I know somebody that went from a s-fly expert to a colugo
a friend going from a p3 to a colugo
a friend that started on a v3 going to a colugo
ill jump my pirahna a little more and do the same

people would shake there if they knew half the stuff we do and get away with in utah so dont follow us..
BASE 1519

i think its dumb yeah. my progression was 20 or so on a tony suit intro and a birdman GTI(intro suit?) 150 on my P2, 100 on my V3. had a few more BASE jumps on the P2 and V3 that im not including in my numbers. I think i may have skipped a step before going to the Aura but i'm happy i had the experience on all the other platforms, some sort of larger tony suit would have made it a smoother transition but i really had no problems going from the V3 to the Aura.

i think what helped me was the experience on a wide variety of suits and learning how to fly each one of those. It gave me a good basis of how to learn to fly the Aura. I'm no where near where i want to be before i BASE it though.

What kind of scary situations have you put yourself into with the p3?
IHYD

none yet besides a few barell rolls uncontrollably for a few seconds. im not even considering a new wingsuit right now im just wondering how many people make that jump right from a P3 to a big suit. ive only got about 40 on my P3, so im gonna keep buying blocks of 50 tickets and rock it. maybe after 200 jumps on my P3 ill get into the vampire series for base
gravity brings me down.........

uberchris

none yet besides a few barell rolls uncontrollably for a few seconds. im not even considering a new wingsuit right now im just wondering how many people make that jump right from a P3 to a big suit. ive only got about 40 on my P3, so im gonna keep buying blocks of 50 tickets and rock it. maybe after 200 jumps on my P3 ill get into the vampire series for base

Being serious this time, throw yourself into some flat spins. I did about 15 jumps in a row before i upsized from my p3 and it was a big confidence builder knowing how to get stable on any axis. Tony suits make a seamless transition to squirrels in my opinion as well. I had an xbird before i went to the colugo and it was a nice step between. The colugo is fast and has rock solid pressurization. Dont get out of control, gonna be tough to get it back.

FlyingMatt

Hi i am just wondering what your thoughts on these 2 suits? im not sure what to get.Im 5'10" 190lbs and do mostly flocking but still like to do some fast 2 ways or solos.I have 100 jumps with the p3

Thanks in advance

I can't speak for the R-bird (haven't flown one in years), but for your listed goals I'd say the P3 is a better choice than the G3. I'm your same size and weight, and I found the P3 to be much more responsive and agile than the G3 with no problems keeping up with 95% of the flocks out there.

I haven't jumped one yet, but I've heard really good things about the Havok.
Brian

FlyingMatt

Thanks in advance

I am 6'1", 170 lb. With my limited experience the R-bird fits me very well for flocking. I am often first out and must work my way up and in. I feel like I am a little light-weight in the suit at times, but I can deal with that.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Well for me, I have been flying a P2 for some time and recently rented a Tonysuit. I did not like the "feel" of it as much as the "feel" I got from the PF suits I have tried (P2, G3 and V4). The PF suits I have tried all fly differently though P2 and G3 are kind of close but they all have the same "feel". Tony's toys just have a different "feel" and it is for each of us to figure out if it is good or bad for ourselves.

I don't want to say Tonysuits suck or anything as I had a blast flying that suit. Lots of power and it was fun to fly but I just prefer the feeling I get from flying the PF suits. I look forward to trying other brands as well.

For me it felt like the suit just inflated around me and was flying on its own and all that was left for me to do was aim it back home. PF suits seem to give me a better feel for the flight like I feel the air better or something, I am not sure exactly how to describe it. I will keep trying different Tony suits though as I get more experience.

Weight is the biggest influence on speed, and skill a huge second. When looking at PPC, wind is an even bigger factor.

Unless you get pilots with matching skill, weight and wind conditions, the actual database on PPC is a lot of fun, but much like swooping competitions, often say more about pilot skill and weather conditions than anything else.

Just demo a suit...try it...see which one you prefer...the nerdy numbers stuff goed a long way, but in actual flying with groups/acro/performance the aforementioned influences make it hard to actually get any usefull data out of it..flying both suits for a few jumps will tell you so much more..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

FlyingMatt

So what suit would have more forward speed? & easier to handle

They both will have good forward speed if flown by a good pilot; they also both are relatively easy to handle suits.

When I said "they're different suits", it's because the manner in which they are flown is different.

Example: in a Tonysuit, when I want lift I gain it through my arms; in my Ghost3, I tend to do it through my hips. It can take a little getting used to (well, it did for me) if you're switching between them.

(By the way, that's my theory as to why people who fly one suit often stick with the same manufacturer and don't give enough credit to other manufacturers. Often, people don't want to have to learn a new way of flying if they were already flying well-ish in an old suit.)

Try them both. (And when I say "try them", do a bunch of jumps, not just one or two, so that you can play with the ways in which the suits are different.)
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork