daytripper419

Wingsuiting with oxygen

I now live fairly close to a dz that regularly does 18k and 24k jumps. I am wandering about wearing oxygen on a 24k jump. I have no experience with this and am looking to figure out some things about the bottles themselves. Reason being is I am going to be placing an order for a new tonysuit and will be getting the oxygen bottle pocket option. I am only assuming that they will want to know a particular size to make it? Possibly not? What size bottle would I need? Any help on this part of it would be great. Or any other general advice lot links on Wingsuiting from these higher altitudes as well as what and where to get required equipment. I have never seen this topic discussed. Thanks j

HALO/HAHO bailout systems vary, but no matter which you choose, it will be more expensive than you probably expect. I’ve used:

Mask: MBU-20/P or Gentex MBU-12/P
BailOut: ASFS Dual-Cylinder
Regulator: Airox VIII

Doesn’t sound like much kit, but is roughly $8000 if you wish to kit yourself out. Of course you’ll need a helmet with the bayonet attachment points (something like a Gentex HGU-55/p). Re the bail-out bottles, this can vary with your personal height, proportions, wingsuit type and bottle type used (I wore mine inside suit attached to my left leg), however if you’re shorter than about 6ft or have shorter length thighs; this may not work.

One note on the masks is that some people have had the exhaust valves of the MBU-12’s freeze shut; the MBU-20’s are less prone to this.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

There are a number fo different set ups I would suggest talking to your DZ and determining what they use is these jumps are frequent enough to make it worthwhile you buying your own, certs, recharging etc etc vs using their kit. Also depends on there SOP's and FAA regs what you will need to use. 18K if its a fast climb and exit profile you are unlikely to experience any hypoxia. Though age, weight and smoking habits will negatively effect you, older, fatter, smokers not good combo for HALO.

So I would talk to DZ first for info as anything advised here will not be personalised and take into account your actual situation.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

Yes, agree with VerticalFlyer; I was just giving some insight into the equipment.

If interested in 30K jumps, Tad Smith runs them at Skydance in California. Very safe/professional setup for doing civilian HALO jumps. I'd suggest that you leave the wingsuit out for your first HALO (keeping with the safety rule of not introducing to many new variables at once).

Additional note for 30K jumps is that you'll need a FAA Class III medical and attend a hypobaric training day session.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Yes I am in no way going to just go halo Wingsuiting. I would go throw all appropriate training etc. I am only trying to find out what info I would need to give tony suits for making my suit. Size of pocket etc. Nothing more at this point. Being that I live by a dz that does 24k jumps I figure I would get the optional oxygen bottle pocket installed when they make the suit.

normiss

Ask Jhonny!
B|

If you really want detailed information speak to Tad Smith who is a highly experienced HALO jump master and has been the HALO jump master for most recent (last 10 years) high altitude jumps. He trained Andy Ford and I when we made a 30K wingsuit jump in Davis back in 2005 and was very good, and aviation O2 is very dry there is a significant difference which you really feel on pre breathe. I believe Tad actually covered Jhonny jump also.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!