uberchris

magnets

im tired of fiddle fucking with my snaps on my wingsuit. im going to build a small pocket with a velcro flap, that i can insert a small round magnet into. im then going to remove my snaps, and sew the pockets into the leg part of my wingsuit, as well as on the webbing on the feet. anyone done this or thought about it?
thoughts?
i know that you must be careful being that magnets will attract metal particles, so it will take extra caution and maintenance to make sure that no weird nails/metal things/scraps collect on my wingsuit.
gravity brings me down.........

Funny you should mention this...

I have an old Tonysuit S-bird that has a similar design in the booties - basically, you zip the bootie/legs down and there is a magnet that helps hold it shut. No problems with it, although it does tend to accumulate metal crap on the magnet. I've yet to stick to my fellow jumpers or the plane.

I'm in the process of retrofitting something like this on a Phoenix-Fly Ghost3 I got last year, because I've had problems getting the snap of the booties undone under canopy. I'm also adding leg zip extenders for ease of access, for what that's worth...
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

rock on, i was wondering if its doable and it seems like it obviously is. ill post pics when i get r done.

i modified the zippers on my old skyflyer too, for ease of use, but i find stretching daily helps a bit =)

my biggest problem is how weak the snaps are on my P3 right now so im gonna solve that problem with magnets

cheers
gravity brings me down.........

On a wingsuit with good zippers (one way locking YKK for example) the snaps at the booties are almost entirely unnecessary. The only time I use them is in crowded planes on the way up and I unsnap them before exit.

As far as to hold the leg wing up, I doubt magnets would hold most modern leg wings up during canopy flight, My aura stays partially inflated and trails nicely behind me and has yet to get in the way on landing. Guess it could be useful walking back to the packing area but snaps aren't difficult to do up once your on the ground.

Just my two cents.