Bluhdow

Viper 2 / Venom 2

Seems to me that these two updates could/should be in development. Any rumors out there on this?

The Viper hasn't gotten quite the reception that the PF folks may have hoped for. Especially in contrast to the new kid on the block, the Aura. So I figure there might be some tinkering taking place around this one.

The Venom hasn't been refreshed for a while now and with the flood of more big suit competition it seems like it could be due as well.

Everything else seems pretty fresh, P3, Havok, Ghost 3, V5, etc.

So PF folks, any teasers out there for us or should I just buy an Aura now? ;)
Apex BASE

birdynamnam

jarno told me some secrets, still secrets ehh ;) But Venom2 is coming, brand new design concepts included, a major upgrade I am told...

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. I figured as much.

Jarno, I think it's in PFs best interest to leak some photos. Might make some of us think twice before blowing our tax returns on a new Squirrel!
Apex BASE

I dont mean to be a naysayer, but has there ever been a really good big PF suit? Vampires, great. Phantom, probably the most flown suit in the world. Stealth...Stealth2...Venom...Viper... all very very underwhelming when compared to similar sized suits from other companies. When the viper intro video came out, it did have a feeling of, well people want gigantic suits, so I guess we have to make them. Id heard rumors of the viper for at least 2 years, and how it was completely different, and would change wingsuiting forever.

I heard rumors of a new suit (V5-R?) in Euroland this fall. Something with a V5 leg wing and larger armwing, a suit in between the V5 and Viper. And that a few guys were jumping prototypes.

Watching a particular internet movie series, where the main guys fly PF suits, has shown such a suit. Attached is a screenshot. New suit on the left, V5 on the right.

Let the speculation begin.

http://imgur.com/xPVHiWk

The Viper is not the easiest suit to fly initially as appears sensitive to input; though I had the same tune in phase when I was flying the GS1 back in 2005 which was then the biggest suit out there. However the Viper is the most high performance big wing I have ever flown and whilst I have not flown Squirrel I have flown a number of very impressive TS big wings. The Viper is an extraordinary suit make no mistake, first flight I was flying low teens the whole flight with a couple of dive and climbs, I will be loading a bunch of data post flysight integration over Christmas and once we have the mythical Blue sky stuff over the UK again ;) Would have been before but I managed to jarr my knee on a basic coach flight back in September and only know just fixed in time for winter>:(

hjumper33

I dont mean to be a naysayer, but has there ever been a really good big PF suit? Vampires, great. Phantom, probably the most flown suit in the world. Stealth...Stealth2...Venom...Viper... all very very underwhelming when compared to similar sized suits from other companies. When the viper intro video came out, it did have a feeling of, well people want gigantic suits, so I guess we have to make them. Id heard rumors of the viper for at least 2 years, and how it was completely different, and would change wingsuiting forever.

Dont just talk about it, Do it!

:S In addition I think that the PF Shadow "owns" the artistic competitions. The PF Havok was also sort of a gamechanger IMHO, havok a big suit that is that agile... I agree with you when it comes to "big suits"; there are some really great big suits out there from Tony, Squirrel and Flyyourbody. I have flown some of them. Let's see what PF will launch shortly, gonna be interesting.

verticalflyer

The Viper is not the easiest suit to fly initially as appears sensitive to input; though I had the same tune in phase when I was flying the GS1 back in 2005 which was then the biggest suit out there. However the Viper is the most high performance big wing I have ever flown and whilst I have not flown Squirrel I have flown a number of very impressive TS big wings. The Viper is an extraordinary suit make no mistake, first flight I was flying low teens the whole flight with a couple of dive and climbs, I will be loading a bunch of data post flysight integration over Christmas and once we have the mythical Blue sky stuff over the UK again ;) Would have been before but I managed to jarr my knee on a basic coach flight back in September and only know just fixed in time for winter>:(

to stay on topic real quick...
no word from "in the scene" friends about 2's here. but in my opinion venom is definitely due for a revise seeing how it never really touched what tony was doing with similar sized wings in the first place. also the v5/viper need a revised tail, which i have seen pictures of an idea they are working on, which is what i am currently doing to my viper. think vertical stabilizer on a plane, but not on the burble side. the feet sticking out of a suit is drag, but it also provides stability in turns, and the better you utilize those stabilizers, the more control you have. viper/v5 have nothing sticking out so all stabilization is from input from pilot. if that was a good idea, high performance planes wouldnt have them either and the planes that dont have them wouldnt fly without all the computers.

to your post...
the viper is a bad ass suit in its own right. dead air starts arent quite as good as the squirrel, but once it gets inflated, it auto pilots to over a 3.0 glide ratio. 32 second flight from 2000 feet and 40 second canopy ride (800 foot pull) because i didnt want to have to deal with possible line twist over where i was heading (still no line twist with viper.)
that said, glide ratio with numbers you posted would put things in perspective. fall rate in the teens means nothing if you are just using the biggest wing out there to fall straight down. my sustained 3.5GR in the suit was with a ~40mph fall rate and a buddy in my old apache x said he was working hard to stay with me. come pull time, when i flare the suit, i know that thing is falling slooowwwwwww, but not really going anywhere.
i fucking HATE the handling of the suit. a quick left input in the shoulders/arms requires a 80% equal counter with the feet or else the ride begins.

ghost/havok wasnt really a game changer, i do belive the ghost 1 was before the S-bird. dont get me wrong, if you are jumping out of a plane wtih the intent to fly with other people, in all kinds of orientations, i think the havok/ghost is the best suit for that.
for the less than 200lb club, tonys smaller suits SUCK!
P3 > R bird and under
havok > S bird
v4/5 is in a class of its own
venom viper needs a new tail but cruises with the rest of the sight seeing suits. i wouldnt use it to bomb terrain because of the tail, but i would bomb all day long in any apache.
i was never a fan of the colugo but the aura does everything....EVERYTHING and it does it just as good or better as everything out there. never flown a swift, but i hear for its size it plays in the havok/ghost arena.

Those are pretty much my thoughts as well. PF dominates the small-mid sized market (and the niche Vampire market) but when you get to the bigger stuff Tony and Squirrel really shine.

I'm anxious to see the new V5R and Venom to see how PF steps up here. Also seems to me, like you said, that the Viper/V5 tails needs an adjustment. Not an overhaul, but an ammendment.
Apex BASE

My dream terrain suit would have V4 arm and leg with phantom (shallower) arm sweep and an extra one or two cells wider for the arm to leg bit. and an escape sleeve that didnt colapse the leading edge and flap at the cuff in dives. probably need to be boc too with the bigger arm to leg bits which would mean no more thumb loops. All wings would inflate from the arm inlets, split the deflector and legwing with zp rib if need be to isolate left from right. But i would settle with just the arm tweaks.