rj2163

Good all round intermediate suit for stocky build (and p2 vs p3?)

(edited for spelling mistakes - I'm stocky - not stalky ;))

As per my previous post -

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4555479;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread -

- I had ordered a Glide from freefalljump.com but that may fall through so I’m considering others.

I’m looking for only 2 or 3 wing suit suggestions for for good all round (can’t go wrong) intermediate wing suit that I’m not necessarily want to trade up after a few jumps.

I’m not the type to spend lots of time doing tons of research and comparisons. I Just want to narrow it down to a couple “can’t go wrong” type suits and get on with it. Being stocky it’s a bit harder to find a used suit so I probably have to buy new. Money is tight so I’d like to get something that I’d use for a while.

I have only done one jump on a phantom 2. It was awesome! I felt absolutely stable and in control. I did a couple practice pulls and left my hand on my back for at least 4 seconds to get used to the extra material and position and felt rock solid. So I feel I could handle an intermediate suit. So my first inclination would be just to order a P3 based on my P2 jump. There are many comments on other threads that say it would meet my priorities of being a good all round suit that I'd keep for a while.

But are there a couple obvious other suits to consider? I don’t want a lot of choices – it makes by brain hurt.

My only concern is I’m a bit stocky build – 5’6 about 180-185 lbs so my concern is being able to stay with a flock. I understand ability to fly my body is the biggest factor for that but, all things being equal, a suit that is more forgiving or favorable to a stocky build for flocking is a priority.

Also, between a P2 and P3 is one more or less favorable to a stocky build? I ask because I might be able to work a deal with the guy that I borrowed the P2 from for the jump I did. Money is tight so I’d like to save some if I could. However, if a P3 ( or other suggested suit) would be significantly better than a p2, then I’d pay the extra for a new suit.

Thanks
rj

P2/3 will be good as long as the stiches don't ware out... That is a fucking long time. Put 200+ on my P2 and I am lovin' every jump.

Squirrel Swift from what I hear is another option for you, about the same as a P3 with excellent quality.

Tony has a nice range too AND you could rent a T-Bird and bang out a bunch of jumps to see if you like it before going the Tony route.

Those are all good options and I am pretty sure all 3 are about the same price give or take 50-60$. SInce you have flown a P2 maybe rent a T-Bird and see the difference to help you make up your mind.

I know the P2 I have here will stay in my gear bag as long as it holds together

rent a Tbird, buy an Rbird.
ive heard the swift is a nice suit but ive never seen one.
i would go with a p3 over a p2 anyday, the regular p2 is a pain in the ass to kit up on your rig. unless you get the p2z with zippers, but the surface area of the wings on the p2 will limit you on who you can fly with (you being stocky). a p3/rbird will stay with just about anything. jmho nothing else
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

I'm a pretty big guy myself, and my first Wingsuit was a havok. I found it to be a nice suit that had lots of growing room as far as performance, yet was easy enough to fly to learn on. I could flock easily with the smaller phantoms, and eventually could flock with some larger suits if they also were making an effort to flock with me. I liked it, and found it agile, forgiving, fun to fly, and confidence inspiring. Some might say "oh, it's to big to start with." Whatev, the performance plateau may have been a bit higher than a phantom, and the road to get there may be a bit longer, but it wasn't a bad 1st suit as long as you have flown something else first a few times. I think I had 7 on a phantom 2 when I got the havok.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Try before you buy, as Jeff says, is the best advice you will get. Test drive/rent a T-bird from Wickey or find yourself a P2 which fits you, there are plenty around, they are very popular. If you can't find any in North America contact someone like Jarno or someone else at PF, they surely know of one which fits you. I'll keep my eye out for one.

Regarding intermediate suits, the question is not whether you are able to fly it now or not but whether it is the right suit for you at the moment. I know many Phantom pilots who are not the lightest in the sky (myself included) who would likely all agree you will benefit a lot more on the long run by mastering a small suit first, learn how to fly it efficiently, get all the performance out of it, learning how to handle it at its extreme ranges, backfly it, etc. and then transferring these skills onto a larger (read intermediate) suit. Although some people find themselves at ease right away on an intermediate suit the approach I just explained will ensure you get a proper foundation.

Thanks everyone for the posts and pm's.

I agree about the try before buy but it's a little harder because of fit and location.

But a few things keep popping up - of course besides the P3, a few mentions of trying the t-bird and later, Havok. I've been reading some of the Squirrel posts.

at least this has prompted me to look into things a bit more and follow up on some of the suggestions.

Thanks,
cheers.
rj

I would also add an R-Bird to that list of suits to try.

Also, depending on if you need to buy before or after winter you mind find it worth waiting. TS has some new R&D going on an agile flocking, backfly, dynamic kind of suit this winter. Would expect a release in the spring.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

***I would also add an R-Bird to that list of suits to try.

I was not the most stable in my early wingsuit flights with the I-bird. But after settling down in it, I got an R-bird and I agree it is worth a look. I have found it very stable, forgiving, easy to recover, and is good in a flock. My experience is largely limited to those two suits, but I really like it. I am not stocky.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”