yorgunson

Squirrel Swift?

Good on Matt for standing up here. It's a lot easier to be a critic than a creator. He's helped the sport tremendously and should be well respected whether you fly his suits or not.

Whether or not you like Squirrel's products you can't deny that they bring new ideas and technology to the table. This technology benefits all of us both directly (when flying his suits) and indirectly (when your brand of choice has to step their game up in a competitive marketplace).

Keep doing what you're doing Matt, Tony, and Robbi. We appreciate it.
Apex BASE

Okay, maybe this is a little excessive (from the Squirrel Site):

A Warning regarding "First Flight Courses"

It has been brought to our attention that not all coaches are equal in skill or experience. Reports indicate that Douglas “Spotted Eagle” is dangerously inept when using or instructing with this suit and we highly recommend that you do not seek instruction from this person. If you are looking for a suitable wingsuit coach, we will be happy to put you in touch with the most qualified school in your area. The Swift is for talented beginners with plenty of skydiving experience. If you have any doubts, rent a tiny wingsuit for a few jumps, and then go have some real fun with your Swift!

It did make me literally LOL though! :D
Apex BASE

Bluhdow

Okay, maybe this is a little excessive (from the Squirrel Site):

It has been brought to our attention that not all coaches are equal in skill or experience. Reports indicate that Douglas “Spotted Eagle” is dangerously inept when using or instructing with this suit and we highly recommend that you do not seek instruction from this person. If you are looking for a suitable wingsuit coach, we will be happy to put you in touch with the most qualified school in your area. The Swift is for talented beginners with plenty of skydiving experience. If you have any doubts, rent a tiny wingsuit for a few jumps, and then go have some real fun with your Swift!

bwahahahaha me too!!!
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Here's the link, for those that missed it:
http://squirrel.ws/pages/ffc_warning

I'm kinda proud to be on the list of "banned" instructors if this is their approach to criticism. It doesn't matter what people say, as long as they talk about you, right?;)
As the saying goes, "if you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit."

Why not instead discuss the merits of the suit design, address how their own sponsored athletes have told them pretty much what I've said (I've seen a few of their email exchanges)? I've said I really like the build of the Swift, am impressed with their customer service, enjoyed my few jumps on the Colugo and Aura. With a couple minor changes, I feel the Swift could be a good FFC suit. But what do I know? I'm dangerously inept in the over 800 FFC's we've logged here (without incident).

The Swift is not "banned." However, like any other suit that a student may show up with for an FFC, it will be carefully considered. Even Squirrel's own top pilots agree it needs to be "taught differently" than any other entry level wingsuit. That doesn't make it a "bad suit."

Matt has never flown with me, not answered my emails about the Swift, and never met me in person yet finds it acceptable to go on the personal attack, and post rumors (that aren't accurate) regarding my school's policy regarding the Swift.
One has to question why the attack became personal?

roostnureye

***Okay, maybe this is a little excessive (from the Squirrel Site):

bwahahahaha me too!!!

Turnabout is fair play... He publicly admitted he could/would not train students in Swifts, so totally fair to recommend future Swift pilots seek instruction else where.

DSE

one has to question why the attack became personal?

Possibly because you used an unrelated video, in an unrelated thread to attack the coaching at another wingsuit school?

And I don't believe your on a banned list either, just not recommended just like the Swift is not recommended by you for FFC.

Key training points for this jump:

•These two maneuvers are accomplished exclusively with the hips.
•Squeeze glutes (butt cheeks) to lose altitude/increase vertical fall rate.
“Open” glutes (butt cheeks) to ‘gain’ altitude/decrease vertical fall rate.
•Proper kinesthetic (against the wall) training is critical for dive success.

Hahahaha open your butt cheecks to gain alititude???? Must be a California thing?

BeyBladeJake

Key training points for this jump:

•These two maneuvers are accomplished exclusively with the hips.
•Squeeze glutes (butt cheeks) to lose altitude/increase vertical fall rate.
“Open” glutes (butt cheeks) to ‘gain’ altitude/decrease vertical fall rate.
•Proper kinesthetic (against the wall) training is critical for dive success.

Hahahaha open your butt cheecks to gain alititude???? Must be a California thing?

Opening your buttcheeks is only a california thing in west hollywood and Jail.

Doug, ill give you credit for giving the opportunity to a lot of jumpers to try out a wingsuit, but that's about all the credit.

You act like a school yard bully throwing punches all day long and enforcing rules in the name of safety that dont actually make sense. Instead of instructing people how to jump you limit them in order to be "safe." You have always pushed the Phoenix-Fly line as hard as you could, throwing any other suit manufacturer under the bus first chance you have. You're like a school yard bully that finally got hit back and you ran to the teacher. maybe you should see the recommendation of Matt to not learn from you as a message instead of a credit. Just b/c your school has been established and you made your little army, doesnt mean you are the end all be all.

This rant of yours sounds like your way to put down the competing wingsuit school that just recently opened. I really hope this is not the case, but knowing you, I wouldn't be surprised.

Squirrel is the new up and coming wingsuit brand, in one season they have taken the market by storm and have released some awesome products and flown some insane lines. Instead of trying to be a wall, lets try and help out the entire community and further the tech and experience. People will go to Elsinore with a Squirrel Swift to learn how to wingsuit, figure out a way to teach them, dont try and sell them a different suit.
IHYD

proper post jbag n nick
only thing to add, and its echoing what someone else has said here, squirrels success is only going to make PF and Tony better as well. they have a big step to take to get me back though. squirrels quality is only beat by their customer service, which is 5 star, first class, etc etc. tony and PF are fucked in that category.

Noob here, only 60 jumps on GTI, 6 jumps on P3. This is my 0.02.. I think Swift would be a little too big for FFC for a student like me - I will have to agree with DSE, I got his point, but that School A vs School B video made me sad. To me it seems like that "student" intentionally was fucking up to make Swift looks bad... I love P3, but I don't want to deal with all that international bank transfers and deposits when I may just use CC to get myself a Swift when I pay off that CC that I used to get my H/C and AAD :)

Maksimsf

I think Swift would be a little too big for FFC for a student like me

Is that because bigger wings makes it harder to recover from instability?

I tumbled after the exit during my second jump with Swift and it was a pretty bad exit actually. I recovered so easily. I don't think slightly larger wings present any hazard.

I have no dog in this fight but I am visiting a large DZ that has a lot of visitors this week. I have been here 2 days and have discovered 2 of my friends from this boogie last year have new Swifts. 2 others that I have met have new Swifts. of the 4, 2 of them have 5 previous flights on other suits. The other 2 have a few dozen flights in other suits, is what I recall.

I am not in a position that I can say anything good or bad, but it will be interesting to see their progression.

I think all 4 took delivery before the expected date and are happy to have their suits at the boogie.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

dthames

I have no dog in this fight but I am visiting a large DZ that has a lot of visitors this week. I have been here 2 days and have discovered 2 of my friends from this boogie last year have new Swifts. 2 others that I have met have new Swifts. of the 4, 2 of them have 5 previous flights on other suits. The other 2 have a few dozen flights in other suits, is what I recall.

I am not in a position that I can say anything good or bad, but it will be interesting to see their progression.

I think all 4 took delivery before the expected date and are happy to have their suits at the boogie.

While not a full “report”, I can share what I observed and heard.

Pilot 1 had about 30-40 flights, had been flying a Phantom 3 and found the Swift “twitchy” flying in a flock.

Pilot 2 had 5 flights in an intro suit, flew the Swift, had some control issues, went back to the intro suit for a couple of flights, went back to the Swift (inserted for foam dildos in the arms) and had better results

Pilot 3 did first two flights with the I-bird, two flights with the T-Bird, followed by the pilot's first Swift flight. Comments on the Swift were very positive, way better than the T-Bird. The pilot then had to leave without any other flights.

Pilot 4 had a parachute landing accident/injury and I was not able to visit with him about flying the Swift.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

vitriol

For those interested, here's a picture comparing a phantom 3 and a swift. The phantom was made for someone of same weight 1/2 inch taller than the swift.

cant tell how much higher the p3 is above the swift but if its a half in different in height the booties look 3 or 4 inches difference on the feet.
I get it though seen both suits the legs look pretty close and the arms are bigger on the swift
BASE 1519

The suits collars were pretty much aligned, but we didn't take the time to perfectly align them. We just wanted to have an idea of the size of the wings. The phantom does seem to be a few inches longer when lying on the floor for some reason.

But yeah, all in all, the leg wing is similar but the arm wings are bigger. I also have the impression the suit profile is thicker.