Chris-Ottawa

Which one...Aura or X3?

Alright everyone, I'm in the final phases of buying a new wingsuit and I've settled on an X3. Now that I've settled, everyone is telling me to buy an Aura instead, but NO ONE has any info on why, just that "it's better". No one will give an objective review, so I'm trying a different tactic to get some info - direct questions. Since I've never seen an Aura, I'm hoping to get more info before committing to one or the other.

1) How does the Auras pressurization compare to a Tony Suit X3/Apache? Is it airlocked?
2) How does the Aura compare in flight characteristics? Is it similar to an X3, or does it fly more like a Phoenix Fly, or ???.
3) Assuming the same well-skilled pilot was flying both suits, which one would perform best in an XRW environment?
4) Which one is more capable of faster horizontal/forward flight?
5) Which one is more capable of slower vertical flight?
6) What material is each suit made of? Tony = Parapack, Aura = ???
7) Which one do you prefer, and why, specifically?

I haven't jumped an X3, but I'm told that it is much like the Apache, which I have jumped. I've mostly flown PF suits up to now, lastly the Vampire 4. I'm just trying to draw some comparisons to see if I'd like the Aura and should take a chance on it, or stick with the Tony suit I've had the opportunity to test out.

Hopefully someone is willing to share their opinions/experiences, so I can get the best suit. I really wish I could demo an Aura, but Squirrel doesn't do demos, and I don't know anyone anywhere near me who has one, especially one that may fit.

Thanks!

Auras are much easier to fly dynamically in my opinion when compared to apache based suits. Pressurization is the strongest of any suit ive ever flown including apaches, not that apaches have bad pressurization in any way.

The surface area of the apache is larger which would probably make it float more and perform better near stall speed. That being said, I recently did a 4400 ft base jump where my average speed, including the start, was 28.2 mph. Ive found that the forward speed on the Aura is similar to the original apaches and faster than the current X3/Rebel generation.

Both seem to be made out of similar parapack like material, but who knows, theyre probably slightly different.

I think the aura is the best all around suit ive ever flown bar none. I guess if you just want it for skydiving and floating around, take your pick, but to me the aura has the most range for what I want to do, which is long wingsuit base flights. Ive done two skydives on it, and probably will never skydive it again.

1. aura has mad pressure, the legs stayed inflated on the ground
2. similar to x3 or apache
3. xrw, dont know
4. aura
5. x3-maybe
6. secret cool shit
7. aura, it starts super fast in the base environment, chicks dig squirrels. isnt that enough ?
dont let life pass you by

From what I hear, the Aura turns just like a Vampire.

From what I've experienced, the Colugo/Aura have crazy pressurization. That leg-wing holds air even if you blow it up and lay on that thing.

Though, there is still no backfly inlets for the Squirrel that I know of yet...so if you're just going to be using it for skydiving, then go for the Tony. The Aura is built for Base/proxy in mind.

Thanks so far everyone! I'm hearing nothing but great things in regards to the Aura, and I think it more closely matches how I want to fly (or how I'm comfortable flying).

Aside from the fact that I've heard rumblings of something new from Tony coming soon, and that Jeff N announced his company - Human Flight Developments (which I can't find any info on), I think the Aura sounds like a great option.

If anyone has any additional feedback, I'm all ears and would still appreciate it.
"When once you have tasted flight..."