hjumper33

Birdman Classic, who has one

Ive posted a couple times in the classifieds and no one has responded, so does anyone know someone who has a classic laying around. Ive got some fun projects id like to do with one. Someone had a black and green one for 6'1 on here a while ago which would be ideal.

Remember when people were flying 3:1 in classics, and then people could fly 3:1 in a V1, and then there was hard GPS evidence that we could fly 3:1 in a v4, and then apaches came out and people were flying 3:1, and now with my Aura, I look at my distances and im just slightly over...3:1.

Classics flew about 1.8 to 2. People bragged about doing 3.0 glide.
Modern wingsuits barely push 3 to maybe 3.1 or so (in constant glide/no wind conditions) and people brag about flying 4.0 So substract 1, and you roughly get the actual glide. :P

Cant wait to see wingsuit flying finaly move past that part of the obsession (and like canopy piloting) start being more concerned with the actual manouvrebility and handling skills of the pilot.

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I have one but its not for sale, had a lot of fun on it in the early days when we could still count pilots on our fingers and toes globally. Quite amazing when I lay it on the Viper and look and difference. But size aside as Jarno says its what inside the suit that really counts irrelevant of design if we want the maximum flight experience in performance, agility and control.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

mccordia

Cant wait to see wingsuit flying finaly move past that part of the obsession (and like canopy piloting) start being more concerned with the actual manouvrebility and handling skills of the pilot.

Different strokes for different folks. It also takes skill to achieve a high glide ratio or to maximize forward speed.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

sky12345

every suit can be flown at 3:1 given the right wind
even by a pilot with no skill

but u cant do acro without good skill
unless your skill is so poor that u do [unintentional] acro until impact

Hey, you can get a brick to do 3:1 with a strong enough tailwind.:P

Meanwhile the lousy wingsuit pilot will be getting 9:1 and the good one 15:1

Meanwhile the lousy wingsuit pilot will be getting 9:1 and the good one light skinny guy in a way big suit[/1] 15:1

Fixed it for ya:P;)
Looking at the few high ranking pilots, sure, skill does come into things. But for a lot of people the focus on solo/glide keeps them away from actually learning to control a wingsuit properly. 'planking' in one body position is nice if you're into that kinda thing. But there's a lot more to flying than just that one aspect.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Maksimsf

noob question here: What is BM classic compared to GTI?

Old, original S.U.I.T.'s and classics had a single zipper and were hard to get in and out of. The Classic II had double zippers. Arm wings on both go straight from the wrist to the waist with no grippers.

The GTi had larger wings, but no grippers. It took most of us about one hour to mod grippers onto them for additional lift. Leg wing might have been a smidgen longer on a GTi as well.

Both are great suits for First Flights and if I had any more of either of them I would never sell them.

Chuck

mccordia

Meanwhile the lousy wingsuit pilot will be getting 9:1 and the good one light skinny guy in a way big suit[/1] 15:1

Fixed it for ya:P;)
Looking at the few high ranking pilots, sure, skill does come into things. But for a lot of people the focus on solo/glide keeps them away from actually learning to control a wingsuit properly. 'planking' in one body position is nice if you're into that kinda thing. But there's a lot more to flying than just that one aspect.

The light skinny guy has an advantage in flight time, but a disadvantage in forward speed, giving not much effect on glide ratio. Glide ratio is a matter of skill, while any klutz can flail around and call it acrobatics;):P.

AdamLanes

Don't have a classic, but I love my GTi! Just did my first wingsuit base with it and it was AWESOME!

If you want to scare yourself I'll let you have my Skyflyer 1 for some BASE jumping.

giving not much effect on glide ratio.

Actually lighter frame can have quite a big effect on glide as well.
A longer freefall (even if its just 10 or 20 seconds more in the comp window) in skydiving often also adds to glide, as you almost always benefit from a tailwind.

The effect of less weight on glide is more/less depending on high or low upper winds. But even mild 30kmh upper winds can already give you 80 to 160 meters more depending on how much slower you're falling (thus benefiting from the uppers longer).

Looking at the competitions, an added 100 to 200 meters can for sure make a huge difference in the end results. Into wind, it would be the other way around, but most competitions (and skydiving in general) tends to be done with upwind jumpruns.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

mccordia

giving not much effect on glide ratio.

Actually lighter frame can have quite a big effect on glide as well.
A longer freefall (even if its just 10 or 20 seconds more in the comp window) in skydiving often also adds to glide, as you almost always benefit from a tailwind.

The effect of less weight on glide is more/less depending on high or low upper winds. But even mild 30kmh upper winds can already give you 80 to 160 meters more depending on how much slower you're falling (thus benefiting from the uppers longer).

Looking at the competitions, an added 100 to 200 meters can for sure make a huge difference in the end results. Into wind, it would be the other way around, but most competitions (and skydiving in general) tends to be done with upwind jumpruns.

Don't confuse physics with the outcomes of decisions made by contest organizers.

mccordia

Don't confuse physics

I don't...you did...you wrote an incorrect statement about weight.
But lovely to see your eternal need for conflict hasn't faded...:D

Neither of you are confused or incorrect, there is just an inexact definition of glide ratio here.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com