Conundrum

Good Full Faced Helmets?

The oxygn A3's are good, as are the Z1's. We have both at work and they seem to fit a little differently. I kinda prefer the Z1, it fits me better than the Oxygn and I like the function of the flip up lens better on the Z1.

Otherwise they are about the same, protection is about the same.

Hope this helps!
Miami

Full face helmets differ in how they fit. Some brands fit some people well and others poorly.

The Oxygn, and Oxygn A3 (with external audible port) are nice helmets:

Pro's: looks good, comfortable, quiet in freefall, secure, avaliable in many stock and custom colors.

Con's: Expensive, lens gets dirty easy, and is hard to clean, not always suitable (as is) for vetical flight.

Z-1 fits some head shapes better than others, and has a removable lining:

Pro's: Less expensive, lens is less likely to get dirty, and is easier to clean, many colors and finishes avaliable.

Con's: Cheap(er) manufacture, neck collar is prone to tearing out, forign company with poor track record in customer service, not avaliable in custom colors.

ParaTec has come out with a new helmet with nice styling (looks like a mini motorcycle helmet), a GREAT visor (lens) and unique vent system.

Pro's: Light weight, unsurpased visibility, thick clear plastic lens (soon to be avaliable in a tinted, and mirrored version), cool metalic paints, good airflow through the helmet to prevent fogging, compadable with glasses, multi fit interchangeable liner.

Con's: Only one shell size right now (they are working on a second smaller one), limited color avaliablity (red, blue,black, yellow, white, and flat/matte black), new to the market.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I'm in the market for a full faced helmet and I've heard the new oxygns are good.. any sugguestions?

Is there really a difference besides looks?

There are probably big differences in safety performance, but we will never have detail about that because none of the manufacturers of skydiving-specific helmets provide any safety test data.

The only helmets marketed in our sport that have been independently tested for safety are made by Pro-Tec.

So, if you are buying a helmet to keep your head warm, or to look cool, try a few of the skydiving lids. If you are looking for safety, don't bother with our industry.

Tom Buchanan
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

[Z-1

Con's: Cheap(er) manufacture, neck collar is prone to tearing out, forign company with poor track record in customer service, not avaliable in custom colors.

You forgot it has a reputation for falling off peoples head during deployment. Didn't believe it and have now seen it personaly a couple of times.

PS: so does my mindwarp if the chin strap is not buckled, and it never happened.

I have serious doubts that's really a flaw in the design. Possibly more due to how it fits on particular heads. I have a Z1, and I REALLY doubt it could come off my head without opening the chin strap. With the combination of the chin strap and the neck collar (which I've noticed some people keep very lose... I keep mine pretty tight), it's very secure (on my head).

Dave

I have serious doubts that's really a flaw in the design. Possibly more due to how it fits on particular heads. I have a Z1, and I REALLY doubt it could come off my head without opening the chin strap. With the combination of the chin strap and the neck collar (which I've noticed some people keep very lose... I keep mine pretty tight), it's very secure (on my head).

Dave

I have a Z1 (Old model) and an Oxygn.

I don't use the Z1 much any more because:

I don't like the way the visor hinge bolts stick into the inside by my temples, covered only by a thin layer of fabric/foam.

I have had the chinstrap come undone in freefall, and had to hold the helmet on with one hand while holding my grip with the other.

The shell developed a bunch of small cracks.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Ok, I demo'd whatever bonehead they had at sqaure1 at Perris today. I hated it. The thing felt like it was going to come right off my head during freefall and I didnt like the way it fit. It was hard to breathe in it and it was not comfortable. I DID however, LOVE the way the Oxygn felt and stayed secure on my head. I think I'm gonna go ahead and go with the Oxygn A-3. Thanks everyone for your comments/suggestions. :)

So, if you are buying a helmet to keep your head warm, or to look cool, try a few of the skydiving lids. If you are looking for safety, don't bother with our industry.

Tom Buchanan
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Nicely put.

I've never seen a high dollar helmet that looked to me like it had adequate padding. My open face is a roller hockey helmet I bought used for 20.00 to go snowboarding in. I figured if it could save a kids head from concrete it would do for ice or impact in freefall as well. IMO it's a better helmet than the boneheads. Uglier though. Much uglier.

For RW I use a Z1. Like other skydiving helmets it lacks much padding inside. What realy irks me about it is that the lense is on the inside of the visor- that means zero structural support. A kick in the face will not be stopped by that lense. It will bend in. The Oxy's have a stiffer lense on the outside.

But the Z1's fashionable, and it keeps me warm, and It does have a little something to protect my chin. Still... it's not much more than a cool looking full face goggle.

Pics:
Z1.3 shows what a cool job a buddy did on my helmet
Z1.4 shows how poorly the aftermarket lense is at stopping a hit
opn1.3 shows my ugly openface. (The first 20 or 30 people that jumped with me got to sign my helmet in paint pen. Makes it special to me.:$)
open 1.4 shows how much thought the designers put into the interior padding, and how nicely my protrack fits in by snipping a bit of foamy stuff out.

Every time I watch weird sports (luge, skeleton, etc) I look to see if they have a better helmet for skydiving than skydiving helmets.

I'd like to find something that was better than a full face goggle.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I guess I have to wonder why the makers of skydiving helmets don't put in the energy absorbing foam. There's plenty of room inside and Oxygn, for example, but the padding they use is far from ideal.

I have wondered about (but not yet done anything about) scavenging the foam from a Protec and transplanting it to my Oxygn.

Both the Oxygn and my Z1 have done a pretty good job with door-frame encounters doing 10-way speed, and I suppose that kind of impact is what they are designed for.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm guessing stiffer, energy absobing foam would be less comfortable during everyday use and for light hits. Besides, without the proper shell to hold it, I don't think you can be sure changing the foam would make all that big a difference. I'm sure someone will design a "crashworthy" skydiving helmet someday, but I don't think a small modification to an existing helmet is gonna do it.

I'd love to see some testing done on our helmets though. They're not designed for large impacts, but I bet some hold up better than others. I wonder about the hardware on top of the bonehead havoc for example... a hit to that part could really focus the energy. Probably the same thing with the hinge hardware on most other helmets.

Dave

Hi JP,

Have you jumped the FreeZR yet? I liked it, except it grabbed too much air when deployment stood me up, and would move around too much. I had a full set of all liner sizes, so I mixed and matched for best snug fit, but wasn't happy with the motion on deployment. The chin strap doesn't do much, as it just goes straight across the bottom of the shell; tightening it didn't really snug it to my chin. I might have been able to stuff some padding down there, adding a bit of homemade liner, but I decided to pass. Lots of room for eyeglasses, and better ventilation to keep them from fogging, compared to a Z1.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and go with the Oxygn A-3.

Good choice, the extra money is worth it. I have three of them, and love them.
I tried a z1 in the tunnel and it didn't fit me well. I also dont' think the fit/finish is as good. Oxygn lenses are a bit expensive, and I replace a lens about every 150 jumps or so.
If you clean it per their recommendations, you'll get good life out of the lens, other than the cracking that happens after a while (150-200 jumps) due to opening the lens with no frame. I open after deployment every jump.
It's worth the money though, visibility is tops, quiet, comfortable.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

I just got a gift certificate for a Bonehead Havok.
Yippeee!
What a great Christmas gift!
Why a Hovak?
Either "a' my original full-box Bonehead camera helmet is still going strong, or "b" Havok is one of the few full-face helmets that will fit my huge jaw.
When Larry Sanchez measured me for my first Bonehead helmet he said that I had the second-largest skull he had ever seen!
Besides I have known those boys for almost a decade.

Lets hear the pros and cons of the Havok from a dealers prospective JP

Here's mine:
PROs: We all wanted that cool helmet for skydiving we first saw in "True Lies" when the boyfriend picks up the daughter on the crotch rocket.

CONs: O-V-A engineered, bit bulky, makes your cranium look odd.

Never jumped it, but thats straight from the library of GQ. B|

Dave

I have a Z1 (Old model) and an Oxygn.

I don't use the Z1 much any more because:

I don't like the way the visor hinge bolts stick into the inside by my temples, covered only by a thin layer of fabric/foam.

I have had the chinstrap come undone in freefall, and had to hold the helmet on with one hand while holding my grip with the other.

The shell developed a bunch of small cracks.

I also had an old style Z1. I threw it in the garbage a couple of months ago so I would stop jumping it.

I had all the same complaints about it as you do. I just got smart about it and tossed it away, not wanting to risk my life jumping it again.

I now jump a Pro-Tec for my non camera helmet. I am over the full face thing until there is a tested one manufactured.

Blue Ones

D 27808

Lets hear the pros and cons of the Havok from a dealers prospective JP

Ok.

Havok:

Pro's: Fits some people when nothing else will. whole visor flips up, good for some people with glasses.

Con's: MASSIVE, not all that attractive, quite often the people that buy them feel the need to walk around in them with the visor fliped up all the time, and expect you not to clown on them.

Good enough GQ?:ph34r:

Have you jumped the FreeZR yet?

Yeah, I put a couple of jumps on it. Didn't have any problems with it moving around, but my head is probably a different shape. I think they will fit a wider range of people better when the new smaller shell size comes out. I love the visibility, and I think the airflow under canopy is better with the visor shut!

About the Havok...
I put the helmet on in the plane, then flip the visor down just before jump run! It's nice because you can talk to people you are jumping with up until the last minute, then flip it down!. I think it's funny that people think it's "OVA engineered" What a load a crap!.....people who say these things are usually jumping with Gath helmets.

Diablopilot, I'm suprised I don't see you using a Havok! what with all your vast skydiving knowledge, you need something massive to contain a head as big as yours!!:P