mjlaw201

wingsuit lining

I've noticed a film starting to peel away from the inside of my suit, kind of like dead skin. I had assumed it was dried sweat and dirt, but washing the suit didn't have much effect on getting it off. It's only on the parapac, not the zp parts. Could it be a chemical film from the material, or is it just sweat and dead skin cells that I need to peel/scrub off? Pics attached.

mjlaw201

I've noticed a film starting to peel away from the inside of my suit, kind of like dead skin. I had assumed it was dried sweat and dirt, but washing the suit didn't have much effect on getting it off. It's only on the parapac, not the zp parts. Could it be a chemical film from the material, or is it just sweat and dead skin cells that I need to peel/scrub off? Pics attached.

You're right, it does look like dead skin. I am sorry to report that you are going through metamorphosis. If you keep wearing this suit, you will eventually completely shed your first skin, and rise again from the ashes in 6-8* weeks (*metamorphosis times may vary based on current demand).

Seriously though, not sure if I've seen that on my wingsuit, but I do have an old backpack that looks just like that on the inside. I think it might be waterproofing or something. Not much you can do about it at this point.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

This appears to be common.

My non-expert experience....
With some help, I made some tracking pants and while shopping for fabric I found some sealer made to seal the stitching if you are making a rain coat or something similar. Some of the coated or sealed fabrics are sealed with a silicon based process and some with a urethane process. The fabric company sold both sealers so you could seal up your seams.

After seeing my friend's wingsuit start peeling like that I wondered if that sealer might arrest the peeling process.

I recently saw a thread where someone quoted a WS manufacture saying something like, "It is normal and not a problem".
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

normiss

I don't think a wingie wing is rigid and aerodynamically accurate enough for a little rough surface to actually matter.

I think phoenixlpr was implying that the loss of lining might make the wing more porous and less capable of trapping air inside the cells. The airflow over the wing isn't an issue here, as the lining is only deteriorating on the inside of the suit. And as far as I know, not on the inside of any of the wings.

Quick question to those of you who have sprayed your wingsuit with "silicone spray" for impregnation - Does the silicone coat starts to "flass" off like on OP's wingsuit after a while?

I'm planing to use this bad boy right here: http://www.kiwicare.com/kiwimcmssite/us/products/outdoor/campdry-heavy-duty-water-repellent.html , but kind of paranoid about the result :S

Any thoughts?

As others said, that's normal, just the parapack coating peeling off.
When your suit gets really stinky, hand wash it carefully with woolite (it will peel even more), let it dry well and apply a few coats of scotchgard. You may apply one coat inside too.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

I would not use Camp Dry on your wingsuit... Its basically a water repelant and not a "coating" therefore its only good at repelling drops of water. The stuff coming off the OP's wingsuit is Polyurethane, not silicone like zero P. Polyurethane usually comes off with abrasion or through repetitive washing in a machine. If you are going to spray anything on your suit I would just use standard Scotch Guard to keep it clean.

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....