TheDoctor2608

Phantom 3 or R-Bird

Hi guys,
i recently started wingsuitflying, got around 15 flights now, doing a lot more in the next week. Since winter is coming i want to order a suit for the next season so i can start rightaway. I'm flying a Phantom 1 at the moment, which i lend from a friend, and i totally love it. I was looking around and now i'm trying to decide whether i should get a Phantom 3 or a R-Bird. The R-Bird looks far more innovative with a lot of nice features, but the Phantom has proven itself already so many times, looks pretty basic in comparison, everybody at least at my dropzone is having them. I just want a good allround wingsuit, good for flocking, but also a little acro maybe at a later stage, just want to keep all options open. What do you recommend and why? Thx a lot in advance

I think at this moment I might wait for the Swift from Squirrel. At least wait until you can compare it. Their customer service and communication can't be beat in my opinion. My Aura is a blast to fly and the construction and features make a lot of sense (plus they work really well). And wait time for a fully custom suit is practically non-existent in comparison. The swift looks like its going to be in that same P3 size range. http://squirrel.ws/swift I can't wait to get one to add to the toy box.

It's at least worth a look.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

You will get one thousand opinions, all right, and all bias. They are very different suits, though you are looking at them from the point of view of a suit you can will be able to "handle" in the next few dozen jumps.
Talk fafe to face with people who own each and ask why they like their suit, take that and your own preferences - which will evolve in the next fifty to a hundred jumps - and decide where to put your money.
Ultimately, make sure you continue to develop your skills to get the best of either suit.

The Phantom is one of the best all-roundersuit around. I have seen jumper outfly easily big suits with Phantoms. If you are around 1.85 m tall (+/- 5 cm) drop me an email if you want to try a phantom.
Michi / michibase at gmail dot com
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

Try to demo both because ... Oe ... that telephone pocket in the R-bird is nice. B|

"The 'perfect' parachute jump was thought to be one where the opening shock and touchdown were simultaneous" -Lyle Cameron, ~1965
---
Falling-With-Style.com

TheDoctor2608

Hi guys,
i recently started wingsuitflying, got around 15 flights now, doing a lot more in the next week. Since winter is coming i want to order a suit for the next season so i can start rightaway. I'm flying a Phantom 1 at the moment, which i lend from a friend, and i totally love it. I was looking around and now i'm trying to decide whether i should get a Phantom 3 or a R-Bird. The R-Bird looks far more innovative with a lot of nice features, but the Phantom has proven itself already so many times, looks pretty basic in comparison, everybody at least at my dropzone is having them. I just want a good allround wingsuit, good for flocking, but also a little acro maybe at a later stage, just want to keep all options open. What do you recommend and why? Thx a lot in advance

A P3 and R Bird are both all around great wingsuits, you see them everywhere for a reason.

There isn't a single wingsuit that is great at everything, one day you will have 2 or 3 in your closet.

If you ordered either suit you will be just fine. Its like deciding whether to get a SabreII or Storm for a first personal purchase canopy. 7 or 9 cell? Different but both just fine.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

TheDoctor2608

should get a Phantom 3 or a R-Bird

The best advice I've heard, from a wingsuiter with tons more wingsuit jumps than me, is "TRY BEFORE YOU BUY". That applies whether it's a Tonysuit, Phoenix-Fly, Squirrel, Intrudair, S-fly, whatever. What's a super awesome suit for one jumper may not be the right fit for another.

We have P3s for our wingsuit school. I've put a bunch of jumps on an R-bird. They are both good suits, but they fly differently from each other.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

The choice between each different suit seems to mostly involve deciding if your goal is performance or agility, as for flocking either one is suited just fine.

If its acrobatics and backflying you're interested in, you dont want any wingsuit that has a low armwing root. You want an armwing that 100% moving allong with what your arm is doing. And not have a center cell close to the body that will always be open/presented without the option of moving it out of the way. A straight tension line between armwing attachment at the body and wrist/gripper is a definate asset there.

Of course its possible to get anything to fly. But for the true (fun) agressive carving, diving and acrobatic manouvers the Phantom3 and/or Shadow2 for sure fit the role best.

Video
Video
Video

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I know people that can do amazing acro/backfly in low wingroot suits, its all about what you learned on. most people I've spoken with find it easier to transition from a tony suit to a pf, than from a pf to a tonysuit.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

its all about what you learned on.

Not really. Especially for learning, its actually the smaller suits in general people should use more.
I CAN do acro stuff in bigger suits with a low wingroot as well. But in terms of ease and sharpness in flying, it doesnt compare, and its often more akin to 'wrestling' a suit into the positions. And the people who can do that stuff tend to be a few awesome talented loners, vs avg. joe wingsuiter.

There is a definate split between suits aimed at speed/distance or agility.
You can also do drifting with a semi if you practice enough. But use the right tool for the right job, and life will be a lot easier.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Depending on body weight, the Havok may be a good option.
It is recommended to have a bit of basic experience first (80 to a 100 jumps) as the bigger wing can be a bit more work, especially if you have some transitions gone bad.

If you're anywhere within a normal build, Id 100% recommend just going with a Shadow or Phantom. Bot are roughly the same, the Phantom just slightly more geared towards performance. The Shadow a bit more agile (flying without grippers).

Especially if you're coming of freeflying etc. the shadow will be a super ease suit to transition to for those who prefer a more agressive flying style..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Ok, i just thought that the better range with a Havok would be a nice thing for flocking or flying with other people in general. I just want to get a suit i can use for a longer time, since I'm a student I don't really have the money for multiple suits. I'm about 1.86m at 80 kg, so more or less average.

TheDoctor2608

Ok, i just thought that the better range with a Havok would be a nice thing for flocking or flying with other people in general. I just want to get a suit i can use for a longer time, since I'm a student I don't really have the money for multiple suits. I'm about 1.86m at 80 kg, so more or less average.

I'm a tiny bit shorter than you and a tiny bit lighter than you (6ft 165lbs). I rarely ever try for time, but I've tried like once in both my P2 and my Ghost3, and in both suits I got exactly 2min 45sec. Yeah, I can go a little slower in the Ghost, but I also tire out more so my performance lags by the end... if I cared and did endurance training (or just jumped more often) I could probably do better in the Ghost, but I don't care. Phantom is more agile and less tiring.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

TheDoctor2608

Haha, seems like the Phantom got a big fan community ;-) maybe it's really not a bad choice at all

It really isn't, I have about 200 jumps on mine and I love it... It will be in my gear bag till turns to shreds

::then I'll order another