Chris-Ottawa

Tony wingsuit current fleet/options???

Hey everyone,

I am selling my V4 and am trying to upgrade to an X3 or Apache class suit. I've emailed Tony Suits 2 weeks ago, but so far haven't heard back. I also sent a message to Jeff N. on FB, but haven't heard back from him either.

Basically, I'm looking to order a new suit, but I'm curious if anyone knows what the current fleet is as I've been told the website doesn't show everything. I''m most interested in if there is something newer/bigger/better than an Apache Rebel, or what the new suit features are. I understand that even on the Apache, the external rig zippers are now an option (which I would prefer and is not shown on the website).

-What is the difference between an Apache, Rebel, X and XRW?
-What is the difference between whatever the current Apache is, to the X3?
-Is there an X4 on the horizon Or an Apache Beta 3.

I'm not inquiring about research designs in progress, just what is out there now that the website doesn't show. Anyone with some insight that would care to share?

***Note: I have not called Tony as I haven't had time while they're open. I'm certain I could get a quick response, but I'm in no rush and this post is not at all to flame them for not answering. I'm simply asking for updates, so when I do call I'll have a good idea of what I want.

Thank you!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Just wanted to mention that Tony is touring around Europe right now and has some bad days getting on email. That would help explain the delay in him getting back to you personally.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Hi Chris,

The Rebel is suited to XRW the X3 is the same suit and has the skydiving type arm zippers but all the suit have the "Inni outy" openings so im thinking of merging the Rebel and X3 as there the same suit.
The Apache is the old favorite for race and speed of turn,
The Jedei is the test bed for the Fusion, The pattns have been fixed for 6 months now, its mostly about speed and the Fusion got the fastest time at the World base race this summer in Norway with a full field of racers,

The front openings have the cutaway cable, I find it more secure, stronger and wont damage your harness,
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

Chris-Ottawa

Hey everyone,

I am selling my V4 and am trying to upgrade to an X3 or Apache class suit. I've emailed Tony Suits 2 weeks ago, but so far haven't heard back. I also sent a message to Jeff N. on FB, but haven't heard back from him either.

Basically, I'm looking to order a new suit, but I'm curious if anyone knows what the current fleet is as I've been told the website doesn't show everything. I''m most interested in if there is something newer/bigger/better than an Apache Rebel, or what the new suit features are. I understand that even on the Apache, the external rig zippers are now an option (which I would prefer and is not shown on the website).

I'm not inquiring about research designs in progress, just what is out there now that the website doesn't show. Anyone with some insight that would care to share?

***Note: I have not called Tony as I haven't had time while they're open. I'm certain I could get a quick response, but I'm in no rush and this post is not at all to flame them for not answering. I'm simply asking for updates, so when I do call I'll have a good idea of what I want.

Thank you!

Chris out of interest are you really 500 jumps in 5 years; looking for an Apache size and capability suit? Just wondered.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

Thanks very much Tony!

It sounds like the X3 is what I'm after then. I was mostly poking to see if there was a X4 or Apache v.Next coming out and I should wait a few months or just cave and order now. It's not like I'll be jumping all winter anyways. Jeff taught me to fly several years ago and I've been hooked ever since (I'm also the "model" flying the purple Tony Intro wingsuit in the Tony Suits ad that was published in the March 2008 edition of Parachutist - That photo was taken on my first jump).

Back on topic...I'm just trying to order the most 'complete" suit I can with the right options installed (ie: innie/outie, extended leg zips). I don't want to say after the fact "I wish I knew that was an option because I would have ordered it!"

As far as what I want out of the suit, I'm looking at max float time, some light XRW and general everyday cloud surfing. I want a Tony Suit because I've been jumping Phoenix Fly suits for a while now and while they're great, you guys have some simple design elements that just make it a better suit in my opinion (namely: full length leg zips to put the rig on, and stronger pressurization/airlocks). It seems so simple, but I think it's only you guys and Squirrel doing that right now.

Also, if you guys have any suits in stock that haven't been claimed or paid for and would fit someone 5'8" and 140 Lbs....I'm very interested. It must have the innie/outie system though.

@verticalflyer: I am looking for a suit of that capability and size. I don't forsee an issue, but I'm open to your input. I've been jumping a V4 without issue. I realize that the V4 is not an Apache class suit, but I pretty much only wingsuit and feel that I have the necesary experience.

Ive always wondered about the giant suit in skydiving people. What exactly are you looking to do with it. I find most suits that are larger pretty difficult to keep in a flock (much less so with my colugo, but i still am flying it at like 20%) and pure distance and float jumps can get pretty boring. Aura flys in the same speed and float class as an apache, has the same zipper system, and an easier pull with way easier to use escape sleeves. I dont think the apache is a bad suit in any way, hell I put like 100 skydives and 150 BASE jumps on one, I just think overall the Aura is better performing suit.

Chris, The only reason I asked was ref what you really want from a suit and no offence intended but the super high end, large wing performance suits are a whole different ballgame from the V4. I have a Classic, Skyflyer, V1, V4, Venom, Xwing, GS1 and very recently a Viper (which I shall post a review on shortly). The suits which have a direct line or near direct line wing from the wrist to the ankle are a very different beast and I would demo several times if you can before you decide on a super wing. However if you want to fly XRW then you will likely need a big wing (unless your 6ft 5 and 100lb) ;). I big wings are great for performance flying but unless you have literally spent the last 450 jumps wring everything you can out on previous suits you wont get as much out of them. I know that's a sweeping statement and anyone can get in bang out some performance, but if you want confidence in flying to the limit with others and especially with XRW you want that confidence in ability to fly nearly any axis in the suit. Have fun whatever you do only commented in the first place as I see a lot of super suits not being flown to their limits. Just picked up a Viper myself and having started on a classic in 2001 have been blown away 1200 wingsuit jumps later on this suit. Will post detail tomorrow as first flight was pretty extraordinary and another level altogether from the venom.:)

Dont just talk about it, Do it!

hjumper33

Ive always wondered about the giant suit in skydiving people. What exactly are you looking to do with it. I find most suits that are larger pretty difficult to keep in a flock (much less so with my colugo, but i still am flying it at like 20%) and pure distance and float jumps can get pretty boring. Aura flys in the same speed and float class as an apache, has the same zipper system, and an easier pull with way easier to use escape sleeves. I dont think the apache is a bad suit in any way, hell I put like 100 skydives and 150 BASE jumps on one, I just think overall the Aura is better performing suit.

im I'm love with my calugo, and came from an x3, the flare is a lot different in my opinion. have you flown an aura? what are ttrre differences between it and calugo, as far as build and flight differences? I liked how the x3 flew flatter (less dive) just wondering if the aura is any closer?
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Thanks! I absolutely appreciate the input and am not at all opposed to it.

Basically, most of my flying is solo flying as very few people have wingsuits around here. It's getting better, but people generally do a couple jumps, want to start flocking, realize that it's not as easy as it seems and go back to freeflying or whatever. It's often a "cool, I did it, now back to 4 way" type of thing. Only certain people get hooked I find. I love flocking, but it's pretty rarae that I get an opportunity to do it.

So, since most of my flying is solo, I want to stay up for as long as possible, go for distance, and a couple of guys are getting into XRW and I'd like to join in. THe other jumper has an Apache Rebel, and I'm hoping to get out and demo it this weekend. Maybe I'll hate it and get an S-Bird instead, who knows. I don't hate the V4 at all, I actually love it. This suit will be my first custom wingsuit and since I'm already flying the V4, I want something equal or bigger and it must be Tony Suit.

Thanks for your input!

Chris-Ottawa

Thanks very much Tony!

It sounds like the X3 is what I'm after then. I was mostly poking to see if there was a X4 or Apache v.Next coming out and I should wait a few months or just cave and order now. It's not like I'll be jumping all winter anyways. Jeff taught me to fly several years ago and I've been hooked ever since (I'm also the "model" flying the purple Tony Intro wingsuit in the Tony Suits ad that was published in the March 2008 edition of Parachutist - That photo was taken on my first jump).

Back on topic...I'm just trying to order the most 'complete" suit I can with the right options installed (ie: innie/outie, extended leg zips). I don't want to say after the fact "I wish I knew that was an option because I would have ordered it!"

As far as what I want out of the suit, I'm looking at max float time, some light XRW and general everyday cloud surfing. I want a Tony Suit because I've been jumping Phoenix Fly suits for a while now and while they're great, you guys have some simple design elements that just make it a better suit in my opinion (namely: full length leg zips to put the rig on, and stronger pressurization/airlocks). It seems so simple, but I think it's only you guys and Squirrel doing that right now.

Also, if you guys have any suits in stock that haven't been claimed or paid for and would fit someone 5'8" and 140 Lbs....I'm very interested. It must have the innie/outie system though.

@verticalflyer: I am looking for a suit of that capability and size. I don't forsee an issue, but I'm open to your input. I've been jumping a V4 without issue. I realize that the V4 is not an Apache class suit, but I pretty much only wingsuit and feel that I have the necesary experience.

"you guys have some simple design elements that just make it a better suit in my opinion (namely: full length leg zips to put the rig on, and stronger pressurization/airlocks). It seems so simple, but I think it's only you guys and Squirrel doing that right now."

my pirahna has full lenth zips and rienforces air inlets but its a smaller suit intrudair has bigger suits probablly not what your looking for, just pointing out not the only companies doing that
BASE 1519

hjumper33

Ive always wondered about the giant suit in skydiving people. What exactly are you looking to do with it. I find most suits that are larger pretty difficult to keep in a flock (much less so with my colugo, but i still am flying it at like 20%)

If so many flockers didn't choose to fall like homesick bricks, this problem would go away.

I've flocked with some lightweight people in bigger suits where the fallrate isn't ballistic, and it's a lot of fun.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

In an awesome display of international sportsmanship just recently, most of the top competitors at the big boogie in Hungary joined forces and put together an experimental all-megasuit flock for sunset a couple days into the event.

Alexey Drozdov, Valerii Salcutsan, Paul and Elana Cain, Andre Taylor and myself, with Valerii and I on video and Valerii as base. We were flying wide open in a group made of Apaches, Jedeis, and Valerii in a big green Squirrel Calugo. Never had an opportunity to fly with that many top pilots in the biggest suits at once before. I orbited overhead and got all the action on camera from above, Valerii got it from the center.

It was a fairly loose flock while we all felt out how our ranges overlapped, people getting in and getting out, but the group held together, Alexey and Valerii got in a dock or two, everyone performed very well. I'd say we were operating in the 45-25 mph fallrate range but holding back a little speedwise to make sure everyone including the lightest birds, Elana and myself, could easily stay with the group because none of us were quite sure how it would play out with such a wide range of body types, weights, fallrates and forward speeds available to us. It went very well. Megasuit flocks are entirely do-able, but you need pilots who actually know what they're doing and how to really use the suit they've got. I think the minimum experience level in that flock was well over 1000 ws flights and one or two of us pushing 2-3,000. If you didn't know how to use your megasuit, you would not have been able to keep up.

We had one inexperienced bird, a friend of mine I'd been coaching who is just learning a V4 come along just to see if he could hang, and the group left him below and behind in seconds, as we ended up setting a range no Vampire model could possibly keep up with.
All in all, an awesome flight, lasted forever, and gave a hint at what you can do with megasuits when all the birds involved really know how to use them. I had a blast, we all did. My video came out somewhat blurry as I forgot to set manual focus, but it was good enough to get all the action and see how things were going, and gave a hint of the potential the big suits have for flocking if everyone has one and the experience to know how to use it well.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Apache /X = Apache

Performance suit, thinner profiles, wide leg stance, good BASE starts, great glide, higher stall speed works ok for XRW

Rebel / XRW / X3
Performance suit, fat profiles, slightly narrower leg, amazing BASE starts, great glide, slow stall speed great for XRW (and landing in Gary's case)

This is covered above, the X3 is the skydive version of the Rebel

No X4. Apache 2 is on the way (prototype name was Jedi but Disney put a stop to that)

Tony is playing with the Fusion and racing suits at the moment. The Apache Scorpion is a "small" Apache, with speed racing in mind, those who have tried it like it..

Will try and get Tony communicating more via the INTERNET but rest assured he is flying, testing and sewing as we speak..
BASEstore.it

If so many flockers didn't choose to fall like homesick bricks, this problem would go away.

I've flocked with some lightweight people in bigger suits where the fallrate isn't ballistic, and it's a lot of fun.

Not quite the same example, but we recently did several 9 and 12 ways and the flock consisted of all P2's and P3's with myself in a V4 and one guy in a Ghost3.

I'm only 130ish lbs and 5'8", but had no issue whatsoever fitting in with the smaller suits. Taya Weiss was up here doing some coaching/instructing and a small wingsuit boogie a few weeks ago and she was quite happy with my flying skills. Enough that she commented on them to me, which was partially because I had told her that I had never done any flocking with the V4 before that day (which was true). The jumps were a absolute blast and the V4 has tonnes of range.

This is my rear view on one of those jumps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSTIU165kkc

And this is the outside video. I was either filming this (any shots from the right side of the larger formations, or the rear view camera, or I can be seen directly to the right of our awesome leader from above.
https://vimeo.com/70863394

Not claiming to be the world's best pilot, but I think I can hold my own and do it safely. I'm certain that my flying will be picked apart shortly, but I've got nothing to hide so have at it. Sharing knowledge is always good, but please be nice.

Thank you for the details! Makes it all much clearer.

One last question (for now), sorry! As per above, the X3 and Apache are essentially the same suit, yet they are at different pricepoints and I'm confused why? It's probably something very simple.