flyboy0101

Wingsuit Burble

Is there a wingsuit no-fly zone or signifcant burble when flocking? Similar to doing RW and avoiding the area 3-5' directly above other jumpers...and if you don't, you probably crash into the lower belly flyer and ruin the whole formation.

If there was, I'd imagine the cone/burble/whatever-you-call-it to not be vertical but more of an angle off the lower/leading flyer.

Is this an issue to avoid when flocking? Or is it really not a big deal due to the slower fall speeds?

Info on me: relatively young wingsuiter...I've got ~65 flights on T/R/S birds and S-fly's (mostly on R-birds)...but only a small number of flocks with other wingsuiters.

Thanks for help

Yes. :)
It's why we stagger vertical stacks forward from bottom to top like THIS.

If you screw it up, they put you on TV. On a serious note though, the collisions aren't usually that bad. Eventually you'll get good enough to recognize the feeling of a burble pull and fly out of it before you get completely sucked in. :o

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The111

Yes. :)
It's why we stagger vertical stacks forward from bottom to top like THIS.

If you screw it up, they put you on TV. On a serious note though, the collisions aren't usually that bad. Eventually you'll get good enough to recognize the feeling of a burble pull and fly out of it before you get completely sucked in. :o

The TV hosts have to make it sound bigger than life.....daredevil, stunt, thrill seeker, 60 MPH (after falling 15-20 feet), don't know if he is alive.....flying isn't he!

Remind me to stay away from vertical flocks like that.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

flyboy0101

Is there a wingsuit no-fly zone or signifcant burble when flocking?

No & Yes there is.
flyboy0101

If there was, I'd imagine the cone/burble/whatever-you-call-it to not be vertical but more of an angle off the lower/leading flyer.

You're right. The angle is about 45 degrees.
flyboy0101

Is this an issue to avoid when flocking? Or is it really not a big deal due to the slower fall speeds?

The speeds are not lower because we have a big forward speed and also a bigger surface area; so I think the burble is actually a little big bigger so you want to avoid the burble in 'normal' flocks.
BUT if you hit the burble, the most important thing to remember is to: KEEP FLYING! Make yourself big.
This is because in a wingsuit, the burble is in an angle, so most of the time you will not fall onto the person below you; you will just hit clean air.

The best thing for you to do is go up with a coach and try fly in and out of his/her burble to get used to it. (for nice video and actual in-flight coaching, the coach must be back flying.)

The other day we did some dynamic flocking and there we actually use the burble. From 3 min 15 sec: https://vimeo.com/28214086 Here you can see the flyers that are going over the top use the burble to get down in their slot.

What you saw in de video posted by The111, were people that hit the burble and the stopped flying by closing their wings, and then things can go south pretty quickly.

So do not be afraid of the burble. Learn to use it. :)
"The 'perfect' parachute jump was thought to be one where the opening shock and touchdown were simultaneous" -Lyle Cameron, ~1965
---
Falling-With-Style.com