Bluhdow

V5 vs. Colugo

There must be enough of these suits out there now for an objective comparison.

I've grown up on the PF line (learned on a P2, now on a Havok) and my next natural step would be a V5. That said, the Colugo is very interesting to me (especially the quick toggle access).

Both are targeting very similar buyers so I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
Apex BASE

At first I thought Venom vs. Colugo may be a better matchup...but it seems like the Vampire and Colugo are both primarily aimed at the same market (e.g. BASE, and more specifically proximity).

The Venom isn't really targeted at the proximity crowd the same way that the V5 and Colugo are. It seems to me like the V5 and Colugo are two different ways of skinning the same cat. That's what sparked the curiosity in my mind.

For a BASE jumper it seems reasonable to compare the two suits (and consider them to be in the same "class"). Is the comparison not as reasonable for sky jumping?

Not trying to be sarcastic. That's a real question.
Apex BASE

I do not currently BASE jump, I only skydive. I'll be at the Potato bridge later in the year to begin my baby steps into the BASE environment.

I think my Havok is probably the best all-around dropzone wingsuit. It's great for flocking, acro, backflying, etc. I'd never replace it as my utility DZ suit.

I am interested in something a little bigger with some more forward speed though. Horizontally the Havok isn't as fast as my P2 was (at least that's my impression, no flysight data or anything).

At some point I do expect to move my next suit to the BASE environment which is why these two are on my radar.
Apex BASE

Bluhdow

Horizontally the Havok isn't as fast as my P2 was (at least that's my impression, no flysight data or anything). .

Wut? Lol Maybe learn to fly the havok first. ;) It's WAY faster, and more floaty then a P2. Nowhere near the drive of a V suit or an X suit, but incomparable to a Phantom 1,2,&3. And it has great starts in the BASE environment.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

OuttaBounZ

*** Horizontally the Havok isn't as fast as my P2 was (at least that's my impression, no flysight data or anything). .

Wut? Lol Maybe learn to fly the havok first. ;) It's WAY faster, and more floaty then a P2. Nowhere near the drive of a V suit or an X suit, but incomparable to a Phantom 1,2,&3. And it has great starts in the BASE environment.

Yeah, my G3 (pretty close to a Havok) really shocked me with its forward speed. It wants to go really fast, and is fairly challenging to slow down when compared to a P2. P2 can go somewhat fast if you work hard but it also easy to slow down.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I have kept up with a wide range of groups in my P2...forward speed was never an issue (though horizontal seperation was an issue with bigger suits).

After getting the Havok I've had more trouble horizontally. I went out with the guy who I sold my P2 to and I had a hard time keeping up with his forward speed.

Is there a difference in technique to max out? I've always gone with straight legs, pointed toes, and swept arms to fly fast. Same position in both suits and I felt like I was getting more out of the P2.

Intuition tells me that maybe I'm not steep enough...the larger surface area might be slowing me down if my AOA isn't steep enough.
Apex BASE

I would maybe send a PM to Jarno and ask him for some flying tips. He flies the havok like a BOSS, and helped me out with some worthy pointers when I had my havok. I'm no expert (barely worthy of posting honestly) but I know that the havok has some amazing potential. With that said, I drank the Squirrel coolaid after eye-witnessing a 7 second subterminal tracking only jump become a 30+ second winger jump.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

OuttaBounZ

I drank the Squirrel coolaid after eye-witnessing a 7 second subterminal tracking only jump become a 30+ second winger jump.

Have you flown one yet? I'm curious what a PF guy would think about it.

I tend to think that people who are used to Tony Suits would find that it (the Colugo) flies more responsively and less washy. But if you're already used to crisp flight from the PF line how's the transition to Squirrel?

Thanks for you input. Much appreciated!
Apex BASE

I fly a V4 and a squirrel. Both great suits. The V4 is highly agile. Sharp and crisp turns. Dives well. Needs to be flown fast. Turns to mush in a strong flare. Over all: Easy to fly, very hard to get everything out of it. Requires great skill.

Colugo: More of a plug and play suit. Super pressurized. Dives well. Flares exceptionally (go up) well and retains strong pressurization at all speeds. Super easy to max out. Not quite as nimble as a V4 but still turns exceptionally well for its size. Both awesome suits.

Flew a P2 and Sbird before those two suits. I have only basejumped the colugo yet (25ish times maybe). Starts are super easy in the squirrel. As to the V5...a V4 pilot friend of mine that now is learning his says its much more pressurized ,powerful and faster than its predecessor albeit more difficult to fly.