betzilla

the death of customer service

Get this:

We sent a brand new piece of equipment in to the manufacturer for repair of a defect. With it was letter explaining the problem, and our hope for repair. Unfortunately, we forgot all about it, and so did the owner. This was late 2002. I ran into the owner of the equipment the other night and both our memories were jogged. Today I called the manufacturer to find out why they hadn't shipped the equipment back to us yet.

The reply: "There was no safety issue with the item, and since we never heard from you, we threw that out months ago."

Say what, you THREW IT AWAY!!!?

I was told by this guy that he had attempted to call us several times about the equipment, to find out what we wanted done with it, but never received a reply. Not true -- I have been here nearly every day since we shipped the item out, and ain't nobody been calling here about that helmet.

Not to mention that our address was clearly printed at the top of the letter sent with the item. Did they really think it was better to throw the item away than send it back to us with an invoice? For the love of God, we are a dealer of theirs, and have an account with them!!

I was told by the gentleman on the phone that they would not replace the item (which they claimed there was no problem with, but inexplicably threw away). Nor did he show any intention to compensate our customer for the value of his "perfectly good" equipment.

I am expecting a call from the owner of their business next week. Let's hope he has the sense to make this right. I offered my customer a refund of the money he paid for the item (which he bought from us), and he wants to wait for a replacement. And I want to get him one.

Here's quote from the fellow I talked to: "If you had any idea the number of helmets that get sent to us for repair, and never claimed..." I guess they just throw them all away. Anybody need a new helmet? There's some good dumpster-diving to be had. If anyone wants the address, PM me.

GRRRRR.

Me too.. I'm looking for a new helmet & would like to be aware.

At least wait until after she talks to the owner... maybe she can get this straightened out.

I really can't believe they just threw it away, and didn't even contact you! I could understand if there was no contact info, but seriously!

Angela.

Chill out, it may turn out to be a big missunderstanding!

What kind of helmet? Full face?

There is a new one out called the FreeZR, and it's cool! Made by Paratec, it's one of the nicest full face designs I've seen yet. A borderless visor built like a motorcycle helmet visor, and cool styling. I'll see if I can post pictures of the Demo we've got at the store.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Maybe I'm cynical, but my guess is that it was sitting there for a while and an employee stole it, but they don't want to tell you that. Although, this story doesn't sound much better.

I can't imagine the thoughts that would run through my head if I saw someone throwing perfectly good skydiving gear into a dumpster, but I am sure they would make me have a siezure.

From the other side of the story .... how about the harness/container that arrives back at the manufacturer with no packing data card, no note, no letter, no return address on the box, etc. So the rig sits around the loft for a couple of months until the owner (more likely the second or third owner) angrily phones up demanding to know where his rig is!

When queried as to why there was no note, the owner asks why the rigger cannot recall a drunken conversation two months before the rig landed in his lap!

Hah! Hah!

I got back into the store after a day away today to find a note which said that: the owner of the company had called today, apologized for the error, and promised to replace the helmet at no charge. How cool. I'll call the number he left tomorrow and give you all an update.

Maybe there's hope for humankind after all :)

It's amazing what happens when the executives realise their name is about to be tarnished onlin or in the media...

I just wish companies would act like this BEFORE all people start posting online or start calling TV stations...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Yes, I agree... Try to reason with the company first. Then bitch at them..

My worry with the helmet is ventilation. Dosn't look like there is much. This was the same intial problem with the new Skystems oxygen flip up visors at the 300 way. The new design has litle less ventilation. Big problem in colder environements.

Ps. sorry for the spelling errors, I'm feeling lazy today.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

My worry with the helmet is ventilation.

Believe it or not I find the flow of air through the helmet to be better than my Oxygn A3. It's the 4 vents and how they create a slight venturi effect. 2 on the front, and 2 on the back, under canopy the flow is better with the visor CLOSED!

The visibility has not been matched by any other fullface design I've tried. You just ablout can't see the left and right edges when wearing the helmet, the bummer is it's not fitting smaller size heads well right now, but a new shell size is in the works.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Got any comparison pics with your head in it (FreezR) and your head in an Oxygen or Factory Diver? Hard to tell from the pics I've seen on line how big this helmet is.

Maybe you can just let us know. Big as a motorcycle helmet, or about the same as other skydiving specific models?